D4 Beta Feedback - Forced MMO-Lite Multiplayer sucks

I don’t really get this argument. I’ve got four characters at level 25… been playing pretty solidly this beta and last week’s one - and I’ve had other players at events, well, a handful of times. The vast, vast majority of my experience has been solo.

Obviously this doesn’t count the world boss, and the timed group events.

But for the usual open world content, other players just haven’t been an issue, at all. Of the many, many events I’ve done (100+ ?), I’ve either been helped, or helped other players, maybe what, ten times perhaps?

Not to mention dungeons are obviously a completely solo experience.

I get that doing things completely solo is appealing. But it just doesn’t feel that far off it at the moment.

With the exception of seeing loads of people in towns… that’s it.

Just my experience anyway.

This idea is wrong. You can still sell cosmetics and other stuff in a game that allows you to see other players in public (non-combat) areas like towns. That way we can show off our tmog and stuff.

But make the combat areas in the open work solo or group only.

1 Like

Rofl they aint changing it i mean they saidbwhat to expect they saidnthe dungeons were the only areas where u can go solo orbin a group that is grouped up b4 entry

The absolutely could do that, same as POE does it. I just can’t see them doing it, especially if they add cosmetics for spells/abilities. Those can’t be used in towns, so people won’t be able to see them in action. The “live service” title has been droned on about by the devs, if there are QoL things that could possibly cost them cosmetic money, there is 0 chance they do it.

Trust me, I would LOVE to be able to have my own zones without other players. Even more if I was able to turn off scaling.

I agree 100%.
The most rediculous thing is this OPEN WORLD MMO when it comes to WORLD BOSSES. Because THEN this praised open world is limited to 12 players where 4 are totally underleveled, 4 are just leeching and doing nothing and 4 are fighting the boss. What a BS.

1 Like

Don’t really care about other players since you don’t see them very often anyway. Problem is all the massive lag it causes, every time a player is close to me I get massive lag spikes, never happens when i’m in dungeons solo. They need to fix this or we have every right to demand a single player mode.

1 Like

I agree… The MMO part completely destroys the solo experience. Seeing all the people running around is just ridiculous and silly. Not buying the game like this.

1 Like

I also think D1 is by far the best Diablo of the series.

I would totally buy that! MMO aspects in a Diablo game just kills it tho.

i love the mmo lite aspects of d4. it’s the main thing that sets it apart from its predecessors. hopefully world of diablo MMO is next in line

I completely agree that it sets this game apart from the others.
I thoroughly disagree that it’s a good thing.

moar mmo in diablo = better

objective fact

Yeah so see the funny thing is that a stress test actually stresses the servers and makes them not work as well. Which was what they said the point of the OBT was. Having the servers freak out some was what they wanted to achieve and supposedly they managed to fix some things they found according to their statements.

D3 has been plagued with area damage multiplayer lag for YEARS. Anyone whose played games for a decade knows fixing lag is never high on their priority list. If it doesnt get fixed now, we may be dealing with the MP lag spikes for years. The way the’ve implemented layers/groups is pretty shoddy. You dont notice layer issues in WoW cuz they have some smoothing/prediction tech going on that you never realize unless you multibox.

The biggest thing that I am VERY afraid of is the fact that eventually D4 will no longer be supported and become a waste of $70. This is terrible from a preservation standpoint. Yes, if I and others wanted to play D4 maybe 10, 20, hell even 40 years down the road, access to this game should still be available. Even beyond any of our time here in life.

I feel that many (including me) see that forced online isn’t to combat cheaters, because cheating STILL happens in online-only games. That part is up to whatever security they use to stop this from happening. No, the point is to sell more microtransactions. To drip feed content to generate more engagement and get more eyeballs on what Blizzard can sell to you.

I’ve been playing the Diablo series since it first came out in 1995 on PC and Mac. I’ve played both online and offline. I do remember the cheats and hacks. I still had tons of fun. I was sorely disappointed in D3, especially with the equipment upgrade path, lack of skill customization, auction house and lack of single player. I still bought Reaper of Souls for the PS4, as I saw it as the best possible version of D3. Trying out the open beta this past weekend, I definitely saw some things that I was disappointed with (Most weapons are class locked? The Rogue can only stab when meleeing, no slashes? Similar itemization to D3? Dodge has a cool-down, not i-frames and use delay, like ‘Nioh’ or ‘Wo Long’? Skill Tree choice doesn’t overall mostly contribute to build diversity?) but overall, I had tons of fun. I can’t speak for everyone, but even though Blizzard has locked into the idea of a live-service Diablo, I feel that the series has lost something when the choice to play offline (like with D3 PC) isn’t available. Again, I loved playing with friends and randoms but it shouldn’t have been forced. And if Blizzard wanted to introduce new content, they could make expansions. Those were there since D1 (albeit, D1 had an unofficial expansion.)

1 Like