Crash Analysis w Windbg

I’ve had non stop crashes for a week now after not having any pre release and post launch til then. I’m sure blizzard tech support is swamped so i got tired of waiting for updates on my ticket and used chatgpt 4 to help analyze my error report generated by diablo. After installg windbg, opening the dmp and analyzing it, here is what i got

The information provided in the dump indicates that the application Diablo IV crashed due to an “Access violation” error. An access violation error, represented by the exception code c0000005, generally means that a program tried to access memory that it should not have. In this case, it was trying to read from a memory address that it didn’t have permissions to (ffffffffffffffff). This is also denoted by the key-value pair “AV.Fault: Read”.

The cause of the problem seems to be a function within Diablo IV, referred to in the stack trace as Diablo_IV!AK::ReadBytesSkip::Count+0x1d6cd. The “STACK_TEXT” section shows the order of function calls leading up to the crash, which can help determine where the problem originated.

If you’re a user, there’s not much you can do to fix the problem other than:

1. Ensure your system meets the minimum requirements for running Diablo IV.
  2. Update Diablo IV to the latest version.
  3. Update your system drivers, especially the graphics driver.
  4. If you’re overclocking your PC, try running at the default clock speed.
  5. Reinstall the game.
  6. Reach out to Blizzard support with this information.

If you’re a developer or you have the source code, you can use this stack trace to help locate the problematic code in the application that’s causing the crash. However, this would be in the realm of advanced debugging and would require deep knowledge of the software’s inner workings.

1 Like