Constant Crashing as of the Latest Patch - Am I Alone? (Update: Nope, there are others)

Hey Everyone,

As of the last patch this week (March 7, 2024) I can’t play for more than 10m without crashing.

What happens:

• Game randomly crashes. Usually upon some action like opening a menu or switching areas, but occasionally it doesn’t seem associated with anything at all
  • No error code or message whatsovever
  • Nothing useful in Windows error logs
  • Frenrir logs report a crash, but nothing obvious about why
  • Frequently upon crash Battle.net reports that D4 needs an update. Upon performing the update it downloads like 200kb of something. No effect on anything.

Logs:

What I’ve tried:

• Scan and repair
  • Complete reinstall to a different drive
  • Closing every single other program on my computer
  • Disabling nvidia overlay
  • Update Windows and all drivers
  • Checked all comp temps, all low even under load. Used HWiNFO64 and checked every single temp. Generally 70c or below across the board under load
  • Deleted dstorage.dll from game directory
  • Used a command argument to disable Direct Storage
  • Deleted all shader caches from system
  • Reduced rendering resolution to 1080p as well as lowered some settings
  • Disabled peripheral lighting
  • Disconnected DualSense and played just with Mouse and KB
  • Completely deleted Diablo 4 save directory, resetting all settings and preferences
  • Disconnected External Sound device
  • Disabled DLSS entirely
  • Ran memtest from UEFI, passed with 0 errors.
  • Ran Cinebench GPU and then multicore CPU to test general stability and temps under load. No issue, results on par for my CPU and GPU respectively.
  • Disabled CrossPlay

Specs

• RTX 4080
  • i9-13900k
  • 32GB RAM
  • NVMe SSD (2 drives), Also a third raid 0 array that’s incompatible with Direct Storage last I checked. Tried all 3.

Currently playing through Alan Wake 2 with path tracing (way more demanding), Helldivers 2, and Ratchet and Clank. No crashes in anything else, just Diablo 4 and only as of the latest patch. I mention as this doesn’t appear to be a problem with my system generally but specifically Diablo 4 and specifically as of the latest patch.

Edit: Updated list of things I’ve tried

Anyone else getting this and/or have a solution? Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m having the exact same problem:

7900XT
R7 5900X
32GB RAM

1 Like

Same issues here. I9 14900k, Geforce RTX 4090, 128GB RAM. this is ridiculous

1 Like

YUP!
Have the same problem with DIABLO IV for about 3 weeks. My DESKTOP-ALIENWARE, and my speed is excellent. Something must be happening with their software.
GAME DIABLO IV crashes after just a few minutes.
By the way, MY VERSION is: 1.3.3.50936

Hope they are reading our messages!!!

1 Like

Seems I’m not the only one. Before the patch I hadn’t had a single crash, after, every 10m at the most. Seems to get worse over time, crashing sooner and sooner.

2 Likes

Yeah, client disconnects - then can’t login due to unsaved character and then lost gear and progress.

2 Likes

Welp, I’ve tried everything from every resource I could find. Nothing seems to fix it.

edit: Is anyone else using a DualSense?

1 Like

I am but crashed with xbox controller too

1 Like

Ya, I tried KB and Mouse with controller disconnected, no diff.

I also manually deleted full shader cache, also no go.

Would be great if Blizzard support could weigh in.

Which Windows logs are you reviewing?

1 Like

Hi @Nicole-1893
Windows Event Logs and the control panel interface for viewing errors. Here’s an example, but each crash generates a nearly identical log event:

Source
Diablo IV Retail

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎3/‎9/‎2024 1:17 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Games\Diablo IV\Diablo IV.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Diablo IV.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0000
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: PCH_84
OS Version: 10.0.22631.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0000
Additional Information 2: 00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Information 3: 0000
Additional Information 4: 00000000000000000000000000000000

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 88c011300ab5907079a413259e07b7aa (1847622799414769578)

Here’s the same type of error but copied from Windows Event Viewer, just in case that’s for some reason useful. Pastebin from here on out as otherwise the post will become unreadable:

Here’s a fenrir log from a crash:

Here’s my DXDiag dump:

For your convenience I’ve updated the list of what I’ve tried in the original post.

Would super appreciate any help at all. It seems like I’m not the only one experiencing this issue as of the latest patch. Thanks.

1 Like

Same exact error message for me as well

Updated the original post with logs as well as a variety of new measures I’ve fruitlessly taken. Also, ran memtest (0 errors) and cinebench (normal scores, good temps, stability); added that to the original post as well.

Could Blizzard support please look into this and respond? Thanks!

From the link:

Faulting application path: B:\Battle.netLibrary\Diablo IV\Diablo IV.exe

Why are the files for the game split across 2 drives?

User DPI Setting: 216 DPI (225 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 288 DPI (300 percent)

Also something weird happening here.

That may have something to do with the Oculus headset he’s got connected to the system.

@FancyPeanut - If your boot drive has at least 30 GB of free space, you might want to try setting your Windows VM page size to 16 GB and see if that helps. The current patch has a very weird issue wherein it isn’t flushing textures properly or doing proper texture swapping to RAM, but instead almost entirely to VM. It’s so bad that the virtual memory system will run out of addressable space and crash the game even if there is physical RAM available.

No, you shouldn’t have to touch the VM page file size. Ever. But whatever this patch is doing, it isn’t doing it kosher when it comes to textures and how it’s swapping them.

Hi Nicole.

As mentioned previously in thread in addition to the original post, I’ve reinstalled multiple times on different drives during troubleshooting. These logs were separate events from when the game was installed onto those respective drives. In no way are the files split across multiple drives, note the datetime on the log entry.

System DPI being different from User DPI is a standard and not recently added feature of Windows explained in more detail here in the official Microsoft developers blog titled: “Improving the high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps”. I tried to link you, but linking has since been disabled on the forum apparently, it blocked my reply.

This is almost certainly not the issue as I’ve also tested on another monitor where I didn’t override DPI and beyond that is a commonly used Windows feature.

I’d love if you could specifically address that this issue is only occurring as of the latest patch, with 10’s of hours spent crash free before that point, as well as the fact that I’m not the only person receiving this exact error.

Has this been elevated in any way? Is anyone with technical expertise aware that users are facing this issue? What are the next steps?

Gotta say, that posting is the only way to submit a technical problem to Blizzard according to Blizzard’s support site and yet the majority of posts are never replied to or only replied to sporadically doesn’t seem like the best way to manage tech support for a triple A game.

To post links if you are below trust level 3, encase them in between two grave (`) marks like so:

`https://www.apple.com`

That produces this:

https://www.apple.com

Have the same problem with DIABLO IV for about 3 weeks. My DESKTOP-ALIENWARE, i have i9 with 4090
GAME DIABLO IV crashes after just a few minutes.
error in event logs is Battlenet

Hope they are reading our messages!!!

I don’t work at Blizzard. I recommend reviewing your MSInfo (after exporting) for errors from one of the many apps having conflicts with Blizzard games.

• Sophos
  • AVG
  • MalwareBytes
  • Norton
  • Avast
  • SentryBay
  • DaVinci Resolve (not sure why this is doing it, but someone confirmed it)

Not sure who this is aimed at but it sounds very passive aggressive.

Having the Same issues with both Diablo 4 and WoW. Started about a month ago. Only these 2 games I have issues with .