Bricked gpu on launch 3080ti

02/06/2023 BRICKED GPU 3080TI
Diablo 4 has bricked my computer. I am running a 3080ti. 850w i9 11900k. All brand new parts, less than 10 months old
I want to know if anyone else has experienced this?
Screen went black and fans got very loud all of a sudden and computer crashed. Have checked all components and rolled back drivers, the gpu seems dead.

I do not overclock my stuff.
I cannot boot the computer with the gpu installed, only works via HDMI motherboard.
Fans still go on and it lights up but I believe it’s dead

If anyone has a miracle fix please comment below…

Fantastic launch lol

2 Likes

This garbage again… /sigh

Games can’t brick hardware, if something like that happens, there was a preexisting fault.

FYI, there’s a lot of issues with certain models (Gigabyte) of the 3080 that brick when stressed, Google it and you’ll see a ton on people complaining, this isn’t a Blizzard issue.

16 Likes

What brand/model 3080ti?

Just out of curiosity, was this during the chapel cinematic?

Hey, which brand did this issue occur with? Did it happen with Gigabyte by any chance? I used to have a Gigabyte 3070ti, but I didn’t experience anything like that during my gameplay tests of Diablo 4. Maybe the issue is specific to the 3080/3080ti models. I remember hearing two rumors regarding this problem. One suggested that it caused the game to run at very high FPS, and locking the frame rate prevented it from occurring. The other theory pointed to the fast memory of the video card and the thermal pads not making proper contact and just killing it overtime because of heat. By the way, my ASUS Tuf 4070ti is arriving today :).

EDIT: Also this is like the 2nd or 3rd post I have seen about this between here and reddit in the past 24 hours, if you google it you will find posts that are less than 10 hours old. One things for sure, I aint buying gigabyte ever again, even though no companies perfect.

I had the same issue with a 2080 super, GIGABYTE. So it is not only with the 3080s.

Luckily it was a secondary PC, my main PC is still running properly.

For sure I will never buy a GIGABYTE video card again.

1 Like

Yea, seems to be happening a lot, actually this post here Reddit - Dive into anything has multiple people saying their card was killed after playing retail Diablo 4, dunno, but I will for sure have proper cooling, water cooled + vertical gpu + horizontal case setup with 200mm fans blowing outward, plus 3 year warranty just in case.

Wouldn’t say brick but my game crashed a few times in beta and now more often on launch. I’m using a RTX 3060ti.

1 Like

I’m on an Evga 2070 Super and its shutting my computer off. I play a large variety of games some more demanding than this and I’ve never had it shut my pc off. I’ve tested a bunch of games and benchmarking software now but have not been able to recreate the issue.

im using rtx 3050 on laptop and im gaming on silent mode, normally i nvr hear the fan spins but with d4 the fan noise sounds like hairdryer. its like the game mine bitcoin with the gpu, when playing this game

I have an aorus 2070 running on 8plus years so far of usage and didnt have any issues - FPS foreground limited to max of 260 ( monitor highest refresh is 240hz) and default background FPS - med to high settings ( depending on category) with dlss turned on with cinematic FPS limit to 30fps turned off didnt have no issues running game from start to finish 3 hrs until bedtime for work – Didnt have any issues for me per monitoring on side monitor tempts sitting between 49-61 (cinematic to actualy game with combat roughly) degrees consistently no spikes – memory usage if I recall between 50-80% utilization — if it is getting power try resetting your board and fully disconnecting the GPU off the board/power cords and try having it power reset – ( make sure you get rid of any excess static on yourself and computer is turned off obviously) doesnt hurt to try

The first sign of problem is your gpu sounding like an airplane taking off. Either way you should always check the temps just to make sure everything is reasonable. Generally speaking the gpus can reach pretty high temps and still work fine - unless there is something wrong with your card. I had a gtx 470 years ago that constantly ran at 90-95c and it worked for many years.

As for the game crashing can be a LOT of issues unless it’s specifically blaming your gpu. Bluescreens are always a bit scary if you start getting those, it can be quite a challenge figuring out what’s starting to break if the bluescreen logs aren’t too specific.

I have a gigabyte 3080TI vision.

I also run a i9 11900k
32gb 3600mhz TT
850W RM X

I don’t overclock anything

First rule is always, software can’t brick hardware. With that being said, the game probably ran at a high framerate, and without good cooling. Resulting in cooking your GPU.

1 Like

Video cards and CPUs are supposed to features that shut them down before they get that hot.

1 Like

Just as a point of reference for those on low specs, see my rig below, even with these specs, D4 actually pushed my rig more than I thought, was a bit surprised!!!

I have it cooled with an 360mm AIO, and after playing for a few hours, my rig got very warm (not hot).

Running the game in 2K resolution, 144 frames, Ultra settings.

AMD 7950X3D
64GB DDR5 RAM
MSI 4070TI
Samsung 980 Pro

lol ofc software can brick the capacitors on the gpu with overheats and thermal dinamiccs overtime. guess why many gpus gets bricked while minining etherium

Good to see the toxicity of OCE still exists, usually the unemployed people :rofl:lol don’t really think my “potato” computer was really working over time either, settings weren’t even maxed

Screen went black and fans went ballistic, gg
Also run a kraken z73 never had any issues with over heating lol

Software can be the trigger, not the cause.

The cause is faulty hardware, as they have built in protection to stop these events form happening.

2 Likes

@Palatech has investigated and come to some findings of the origins of these problems and the solutions. Search their posts.