Absolutely Can't Stand scaling

You cant even be straight and tell others why you like to oneshot low lv trash. Stop your worthless way of thinking instead. I can see why bot farmers would like this kind of thing though.

1 Like

I disagree, your only ever 1 piece of gear away from improving your power. Not to mention you can scale said power per item slot, so theoretically, you can scale up to a point where it will take several level ups for mob power to catch up and even then it’ll only happen if you stop upgrading gear.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I was trying to say. It’s not really up for debate – if you’re fighting some mobs, level up, and then fight some more mobs of the exact same type you WILL be temporarily weaker relative to those mobs than you were just before leveling up. Maybe it just took you 2 shots to take out a mob, but now that you’ve leveled up the enemy has just enough extra health for it to take 3. That just feels really odd when you are supposed to have gotten more powerful.

1 Like

You called power equivalent to level, this is absolutely debatable. Other than a skill point and some hit points, what else in the level up process is supposed to make you stronger?

I did not, no need to lie. I said that they can be functionally equivalent in certain circumstances. If you leveled up but picked a marginally-improving skill and did not find any gear (which is the case immediately after you level up) your increase in power is almost exactly the same as your increase in level for that slice of time. You WILL be weaker relative to the same enemy you were just fighting.

Read what the OP said again. He wants a sense of danger of not being able to go anywhere, not because he wants to bully lower level mobs.

And that’s why they did it: to make a safe carebear environment where anyone can go anywhere without fear because to Blizzard we are all 10 years old and can’t function without them telling us exactly where to move and click at all times.

1 Like

If you cant beat a boss you go farm, what’s the different?

Endgame anywhere defeats the purpose of progression imo. Like in POE, I love the point where I can finally get my build.strong enough to do hard/unique endgame content. It would be lame if it was everywhere.

1 Like

The difference is, is it the choices that I make that matter or is it the gear that I find that matters… Dev talks said your choice matters more, the scaling and item drops suggests that gear matters more… if gear matters more, let scaling be attached to gear score. If level matters more let it be attached to level. 1-25 suggests that it’s gear, maybe paragon points will change my opinion. So when I level, even if my gear score isn’t up to par, the monster gets harder. it’s design choice that drives the play style… I disagree with the choice as I prefer the choice play style that I felt was advertised in dev updates for the last couple years… they tried to split the difference favoring more heavily a d3 model vs the d2 model (rng vs choices) if the skill points were more meaningful and had a greater effect the scaling would change though so… it’s this teeter totter balance game and right now the Druid is on the rng side which I dislike.

Your logic does not make sense because gear score (item power lv) and your actual level isnt even the same, not to mention the differences in your amp up abilities vs the monsters that get nothing but abit of stats

That’s because Diablo 4 is not an ARPG, but an MMO.

Can you tell me what kind of genre MMO is?

It’s not Diablo for one!

I also think it s too much - something very improtant in a game like this is the feeling of progression - its pretty much missing in this game - i understand why and its probably great for coop - on the other hand its also bad and almost gamebreaking?

For example - if you a level 25 plays with a level 10 both almost have the same difficulty while the level 25 player gets way better items even for monsters killed by the level 10 guy. This naturally leads to the higher level player just giving the lower level player items making the lower level drops worthless and both have no feeling of progression.

You do realize it only scales up right? Mobs do not scale down to your level. There are already several areas in the beta that if you enter, you will get destroyed because they don’t scale down.

Would it be better if the lvl 25 guy just one shots the lvl 10 enemies or the lvl 10 guy just walks behind the lvl 25 guy who kills lvl 25 monster to just gather the exp for the lvl 10 guy? I believe we all have seen this happening at least once in games of the past.

So this was basically Act 1 on Normal mode. You can CLEAR Act 1 normal in D2 on almost any class by sprinting through straight to Andy being only level 10-11. Probably level 9 on a Sorceress. Not a single thing about Diablo 2 Normal mode is even remotely challenging.
Except for the beta Duriel load times for D2R.
Compare this beta test to D2 Normal Act 1.

Scaling is an awful, bland experience.

2 Likes

I agree. What is the point in leveling up if the monsters ALWAYS scale with you. I will NEVER feel powerful.

I enjoyed the scaling, gives a whole game world to use at max level instead of a tiny selection of areas like d2 was before the TZ crap.