A serious petition for offline mode

Why?

Diablo 3 on console is a good example of why not

Because posters like you were always fighting it. If you don’t believe me go pull up one of the numerous threads on the subject. Any time a thread was made on the subject the usual suspects were right there telling them to do better research before playing the game or go play something else. It was the same type of jerk mentality that you always display anytime suggestions are made to improve the game. Suggestions by the way, that would never harm how you play the game in anyway.

Blizzard has backtracked numerous times on statements like that. They said D3 would never have SSF. It does now. They said they would never bring back classic WOW. They did.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The majority of players are either using WASD or controllers. I can promise you the toppers on leaders boards aren’t using that archaic point n click system. No one still uses point n click in games anymore except old school traditionalists who fear change.

only thing i can agree with.

i didnt fight WASD per say, however, i did tell people who acted like “OMG this game has no wasd wtf?!?!?!” to research before buying, which is absolutely fine?

anyway, fight for that offline mode buddy. Just dont get bitter over not getting it =)

They made the announcement that Diablo 3 would be online only almost 13 years ago and in that time not only have they not backtracked but the AAA gaming industry at large has followed their example.

Need a source on this. Diablo will never be offline.

Diablo 3 is playable offline however, so they did backtrack according to that logic.

Console limitation. Though. No such option for 4.

1 Like

diablo 3 is only offline playable on consoles. not on pc, and that wont change.

1 Like

It was not a limitation. There were online only games on console. They simply made the decision to have an offline mode.

Didnt say otherwise.

well, this implies diablo 3 is offline playable in general.

It only indicates that D3 is playable offline. Which it factually is.

well, yes, as stated on consoles, which has been a decision blizzard did for, again, consoles only. No backtracking there.

Long story short, diablo 4 is an online game, just like diablo 3 (with the exception of consoles)

1 Like

Does this sound like a backtrack to you?

"We didn’t make that game. That’s the straight-up answer. We did not make that game, and we’re not going to turn this game into that game. We have the online mode because we learned a lot over the many, many years that Diablo 2 was in development.

That was the wrong choice to allow people to play offline, and we still stand by that. And we think Internet access is widespread. If someone has no Internet access, then yeah, Diablo 3 is not the game for them." - Kevin Martens

1 Like

If they think it was a wrong choice to make Diablo 2 offline then… damn, they have no idea :smiley:

In any case, for D3, yeah, that obviously is a case of changing their opinions later on. They literally did the opposite of what they say in your quote. Making D3 into a game for people without internet access.

Heck, from that very same quote:

“The game is most fun when you can play with other people,” he said. "To be ghettoed off to the side and not part of the real game, we didn’t want that to happen. This is an online game. We want people to play together. All of that predates the auction house.

Which answers the question about SSF that someone else had. SSF goes against this original statement too. And then SSF was added years later.
Even Blizzard learn sometimes. Even Blizzard change their stance sometimes.

As it has happened a bunch of other times too.

Didn’t read all of these, don’t have the next 3 days free )

One big reason, maybe the biggest, is that having us log in with our account that is connected to any game we play from blizzard, makes ot so YOU CAN’T play the game at all if it’s a pirate copy.

It is a dynamic, server side world that lives and breathes with weather, npc activities, changes that occur in real time, etc. Monster spawns and behavior happen in real time based on your character’s movements and actions, etc.

It could be snapshotted, i suppose (maybe??) Bit i doubt it given it’s server side matrix like world. Even so, the next time you log in, it could update world events that occurred in your offline time, although I don’t see how. If POE does it, then iguess it may be possible? Every game has a different engine. Maybe D4s doesn’t work this way.

As yo the hacks being introduced if one is allowed to go back online after choosing to go off and on at will, they could hack away, then reconnect as a God. I Jane heard that Elden Ring let’s you choose offline or online at character creation, but that is a choice made at creation and cannot be changed later.

There are ways to check if files have been changed, one simple way would be to check your files on going back online with what existed on server prior to going offline. If those changes are obvious hacks, insta-perma-ban. That would likely
Thwart such behavior. IDK, but I think it would be a nightmare for a game like D4. Not to Mentone big reason #1, DRM. They’d lose it.

It should definitely not be possible to bring offline characters to online, and vice versa.

You can switch back and forth at will.

Didn’t read your post, don’t want to waste 5 minutes.

They probably saw the numbers after D3 went Offline and decided… Yeah… Not worth it.

Sometimes, it’s cool to play without a ping at all. Not gating and lags

I would absolutely love a truly offline version. It is all but certain to never happen.
Best you could hope for is an offline while still using the companies servers.