4.8% ARMOR vs 7.3% DAMAGE REDUCTION

which is the better roll and why,

if you had to chose only 1

7.3% damage reduction affects mobs of all levels equally, armor falls off

5 Likes

Search on Youtube and some guy has an excel sheet for you to plug in the #s. Everyone is different. It depends how many armor you currently have.

4 Likes

Nobody can answer this.

It depend’s entirely on how much armor you currently have.

lvl 77 rogue with 7,105 armor

currently have a perfect DR roll on pants. wondering if its worth it to re-roll to armor

4.8% armor will never give you that much dmg reduction. So you take dmg reduction.

4 Likes

No, Damage Reduction is best. Armor gets converted to Damage Reduction while having a cap. High enough dodge chance is even better when combined with damage reduction. You want agnostic damage reduction / mitigation. Perfect Roll pants for me is +Max Life, +Damage Reduction While Injured, +Damage Reduction, +Dodge chance / + Skill / +Damage Reduction vs Close

As long as you have enough HP to not get one shot. Damage Reduction While Injured is the single best Damage Reduction stat line as it maxes out to like 43ish% per stat line. You can get something like 130% Damage Reduction While Injured from rolling perfect on pants, boots, and amulet.

2 Likes

Then no, keep the perfect roll DR.

4.8% armor will never be better than 7.3% DR

My guess is that the damage reduction is better in most cases, but that the armor is better in specific circumstances. For example, if that extra armor is just what you need to go from 80% DR from armor to 85%, that would result in you taking 25% less damage, which would be better than the damage reduction. However, if you already reach the cap of 85% DR from armor, then the damage reduction is obviously going to be better.

How would it not be armor? You’re talking about increasing the largest dmg reduction versus reducing the remaining 15-20% thats left after all the multipliers by 7.3%.

Armor isnt linear. Its exponential. The more you have the more it does.

3 Likes

Until you hit the limit! Ah…calculus 101 comes back and haunts me even in video games!!!

1 Like

How much armor do you need to hit the 85% cap vs a nightmare t100?
The % you see on the character sheet is vs a same lvl target.

Armor Caps, so it’s exponential returns on # hits till death, until it’s literally worthless.

Armor is also only partly effective for elemental damage, while % damage reduction gets the full effect.

2 Likes

You either need 13200 base armor to cap DR 85%
or
9000 armor with disobedience aspect on amulet.

In theory DR% is better than Armor% but Armor% is better in practice because DR% is multiplicative. Meaning if you have low armor, your DR% does nothing. While Armor% still gives you something.

5 Likes

After reading some of the comments, I have to change my mind and agree that armor is probably going to be better in practice for most players and not damage reduction. As long as you get anything less than about 83% DR from armor, then more armor is probably going to give you better survivability against most enemies. %Damage reduction is thus only better for builds that already hit that armor cap in all the content they are playing in.

The true WIKI of Diablo @jinyonglee showing us the way once again! Thank you.

I don’t agree or maybe I don’t understand how DR works(probably the case). DR is just flat damage reduction. It just says damage reduction on the stat tool tip on your character sheet. No build guide(I’ve only read 4-5) I’ve read so far says to use armor over DR. It’s all DR overall, close, while injured and fortified.

This poster above is saying DR is related to armor? I’ve never known or read that and thought it was just straight dmg reduction not related to armor.

I’ll read into some more.

**Maybe they are just saying DR because they assume you’ll have the necessary armor to reach 85% at end game? I’ll have to look at my armor stats on my toons. I haven’t been paying much attention to them since I have not been looking for +armor rolls.

Armor is basically just damage reduction. And DR from armor caps at 85%.

Let’s think about it like this: An enemy hits you with 1000 damage. If you have 80% DR from armor, that reduces the damage taken to 200. If instead you had 85% DR from armor, you would take only 150 damage. But if instead of that extra 5% armor you chose a 10% damage reduction affix, then it would only reduce that 200 damage by 10%, which would result in 180 damage taken. That’s why armor is better in this case.

That’s how I think it works, at least. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Armor gives you DR%. As of current state of the game where resistances has no significant functionality, armor is the only reliable source of substantial DR%.

I think you you didn’t catch up to the recent armor datamining. The people who cracked it did a great job. It almost looked like some article out of science journal. Anyway, since launch, every build guides has been recommending to stack as much armor as you can, we just didn’t know the hard cap for DR% until a few weeks ago.

Priority in the order of magnitude

1. Armor %
  2. Damage reduction vs Close %
  3. Maximum life

Sadly, you can’t achieve a high armor just with gears. You have to sacrifice damage and be more efficient with paragon points. Putting points into armor nodes is important for NMD tier 100.

The recent nerf patch(v1.1.0) to Aspect of Disobedience was a big slap in the face to all classes for NMD pushing.

1 Like