Zei's (fulfilling 15 char min)

Several people recommended using a Zei’s gem as part of the GoD build. I like the concept of how it increases damage, so I pumped it up to 100 and swapped it in for my trapped. My other two are Simplicity and Taeguk.

But running GRs, there seems to be so few times where it would benefit me. I’ve got to be attacking from 50 yds away and so few of the layouts allow for this. I don’t think I ever get a rift that doesn’t include a barracks or Ruins of Corvus style floor. Caves and the various skinny walkways… There just rarely seems to be opportunities to get that 50 yd max damage.

There’s something I’m certainly not understanding. 'splain it to me.

The description of Zei’s is slightly misleading, you get the base damage buff already at 0 distance which means full benefit is achieved at 40 yard distance. So if you can keep at least 30 yard distance (about one quarter of the screen), the Zei’s should outperform Trapped, the traditional choice for third gem.

Simplicity, Taeguk and Zei’s are my choices as well for GoD.

Barracks and Corvus maps are annoying but in general keeping that required distance isn’t particulary challenging.

1 Like

Also, the stun chance. That can be extremely helpful.

I far prefer Simplicity, Taeguk, and Trapped. With trapped it is much easier to get full benefit just by running over everything once to apply the debuff. Far, far more effective than Zei, in all my experiences. This also allows for use of Cull the Weak without needing Thrill of the Hunt to apply a debuff, so free passive slot.

1 Like

The optimal distance for attacking with GoD if you’re using 1 or 2 1-handed crossbows (your profile is hidden for some reason) is 20-30 yards. So it’s a naturally good fit for the Zei’s playstyle.

It’s also important to remember how GoD works, assuming you’re using HA:Devouring Arrow (again, profile hidden for some reason) that the first shot will be your weakest, and then as the arrow pierces and finds other targets its damage increases, but it also moves a lot. Each time the arrow hits a target, it will check your current distance from the mob. If you’re strafe circling the mobs at a distance of about 25 yards, then you will often be at the max distance on those later pierces.

Yep, it sucks. Even in those floors you can often find a room big enough to circle the mobs. Or you can just quit the GR or skip the floor. They suck.

Is 's really easier to type than ex?

At 41 yards, but yes, this. Each 10 yard chunk increases your damage. The description on the gem is letting you know that the 41-50 yard chunk is the last one that it cares about.

When I run with Zei’s instead of Trapped, I swap out Cull the Weak for Steady Aim. Same amount of damage with no slow effect needed.

One advantage of Zei’s over Trapped, is that you don’t lose its damage bonus on Juggernaut elites.

This is my preference as well, mainly for one reason: Oculus Rings. Spending time in Oculus Rings usually means being pretty close to the mobs and that makes Trapped more effective than Zei’s.

The OP’s armoury profile…
https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-gb/profile/kayakpat-1707/career
…which has five DHs on it, one is ungeared, one is LoD, and three are Impale.
I don’t see a GoD setup anywhere.

I dropped Teaguk and simply run with both, BotT and Zei’s. It’ll be even more beneficial this coming season if you run the Strafe firing spenders thing. If you put Multi-shot Windchill as your spender you’ll get a free “chilled” effect which will proc BotT so you can drop Thrill of the Hunt for something like Single Out, Numbing Traps, Archery or some passive.

But even out of season, I run the Zei’s, BotT, Simplicity’s set up. Zei’s does it’s thing at distance and BotT does it’s when I have to get in close to take advantage of Occulus circles.

Teaguk and BotT give similar damage and the only advantage Teaguk has is slightly better defense, which you can drop around 2000 paragon or so.

At any rate, in Non-season I’ve done a 132 with just slightly over 4000 paragon. While during the PTR, running the Strafe white thing I did a 129 with Guardian’s and a Primal Unbound Bolt at just over 1200 paragon.