Wyatt Cheng on Diablo 3 Auction House in early day

And once people did get through they bootstrapped other people. They were in the money. If you weren’t lucky and didn’t use the RMAH you could spend months trying to bridge the gap between have and have not. That has always been the problem with Diablo 3 to this day. Scarcity is a garbage mechanic.

2 Likes

He says that drops were tuned as they were in D2? Say what?! I still remember my first set/legendary drop in d3. I had cleared normal, nightmare and farmed hell a bit before going into INFERNO. NOTHING! My first few steps into inferno my first set item drops. Nat’s weapon which rolled STRENGTH, no dex base stat and worse dps than a blue. D3’s version 1.0 itemization and unique/set items were a joke!

1 Like

an interesting fact I heard from a D3 dev was the time that was allocated for itemization polish was re-allocated for the RM Auction House.

So we got doubly screwed! RMAH ruined the game AND itemization.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Before they made any adjustments to the droprate, I had found only 2 legendaries in Diablo 3 vanilla. The monk’s rabid strike fist weapon, at level 10 or so (can’t remember the exact level), right before I fought the skeleton king, and then the demon hunter’s Calamity crossbow, which I was able to sell for an hefty amount at the time. Beyond those, I hadn’t found a single usable item upgrade (post level 20 anyway) during Diablo vanilla, and I was playing nearly every day at every chance I had, hence why I had to use the auction house.

So while Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 RoS (mostly early RoS) had it’s issues, it’s itemization were far better than Diablo 3 vanilla, especially since I didn’t need to use trade just to beat the game and it’s difficulties.

1 Like