Would they balance some skills?

Maybe in a near future would they buff some skill like Fist of the heavens, Berserker Bolt, Hydra…
You know all that skills that are not viable on hell

6 Likes

Wait, Berserk isnt viable? WTF have I been doing in Hell with that spec for all these years?

4 Likes

Not all skills need to be viable in Hell… Try them out in Nightmare then spec up to the Hell level skills.

2 Likes

I agree with making these most awesome skills viable all the way through. Hydra, Fist of the Heavens? Some of the coolest skills in the game. It’s a shame they’re too underpowered. Seriously, they should be powerful skills.

And people are joining this forum every day, a topic on skill balancing doesn’t mean it’s a troll account, shaysh.

7 Likes

Please don’t make everything viable for endgame. Just leave things be. There are multiple NEW Diablo games coming out…yeesh. Remaster.

8 Likes

As I think more and more, I’m for this, but at a slow pace. More builds = longer survivability for game.

3 Likes

Only if they wanted purist to cry and scream! Change scares them you play paladin or Sorc and farm for other classes like god wanted you to!

So, a 1% skill buff to one skill once a year? Gotcha. If they don’t do a separate fork with all the bells and whistles, then they need to do it as soon as possible after release with skill balancing or anything major rather than later. If they wait too long, ya know what happens? Another 1.10 drops years into release that drastically alters the game. If they get the balancing and content done in the first couple of ladders, then they don’t have to touch the game for another 20 years.

The two biggest issues are: Too many synergies attached to too many skills, which forces either one big skill that limits build utility and makes them one trick ponies unless they spread between 2-3 skills, and gimp effectivness while still limiting utility (such as party buffs) . And two, physical damage synergies not scaling as well as magical/elemental damage ones due to being based off of weapon damage as opposed to an increasing skill damage set ratio (with the problem of some physical damage skills not getting any synergies at all).

Alot of this is due to making the monsters have damage sponge levels of hitpoints so that spells could get BIG NUMBERS.

while i would ideally like some of the rarer used skills to be re-balanced. a few seasons after launch

like spirit of barbs could change into a -5% phsyical resist aura -1% more per lvl

rabies damage boost, fire claw damage boost

holy shield nerf to FBR frames ( it doesn’t need to have a 1 frame block wtf…), smite damage, def boost, and + blocking… basically hit it across the board on everything but duration.

rework conversion into… god know what… im clueless pali is want for nothing… they could flat out delete it and no one would even notice…

i sure as hell don’t trust activation to touch a damn thing balance wise, QOL changes only.
fix some bugs, let me kill king as many times as i want, increase my QOL, make the graphics better( which they most certainly have ). give me a loot filter and a bigger inventory ( where charms wont work so we dont affect balance). and get rid of the damn ladder only BS so i can play nl and single player. and call it done. maybe consider buffing the HR drops vex on monster drops + 2-3 seasons after launch if ( and only if) its still absurd and possibly hitting the chest drop at the same time so people can get them by playing the game properly easier and not by doing stupid act 3 kurast runs.

but yeah… i dont want balance changes

You probably shouldn’t even trust Activision to even release the game with a graphical update. It’s not like the original dev team were saints with the balance. I highly doubt that they challenge cored up the game then went…ya know what, we should have this one character with almost no weakness that is incredibly op, if only we had a class with a skill we could do that to…I KNOW, HAMMERDIN! The original devs broke stuff as well, but went back to fix it until after 1.10, when they left the company. While I wouldn’t mind a complete rebalance, they just need to balance what they got, whether that means nerfing stuff so everyone gets that challenge core experience or buffing some things so the old equipment comes back in line.

Game is primarily an action rpg loot finding game, with primary focus on fighting demons. PvP is a secondary aspect to the game. I don’t play Diablo for PvP just like I don’t play Street Fighter for a deep, enriching story.

I think a lot of the old guard is simply deathly afraid of any balance changes, not because they feel it will break the game, but it will instead break their extensive knowledge of the game and they would have to relearn aspects. It is harder to remaster a game such as Diablo 2, due to the nature of the online aspect where the game has been updated multiple times over the course of it’s life. If this was persay, Legend of Zelda NES, it would be easier, since the game had not underwent many aspects that changed the balance making some and breaking other aspects. The argument then between purists vs modernists would be should Link still “thrust” the sword like OG, or actually swing in an arc like in Link to the Past.

1 Like

I don’t agree at all about having to relearn it. Trying to claim this is a ‘kill monsters get loot’ game - the way d3 devs characterized the franchise, is pretty reductionist and it explains why D3 is the way it is - incredibly simplistic. If that’s all it was to you then there’s more for you to experience.

PVM is easy. It can be done naked. The supposedly underused skills that are cited by the OP are usuable, if not in some cases good. Nobody wants to see balance changes made by people who haven’t demonstrated that they’re capable of making them or that they’re going to chase newbs FOTM supposedly underpowered skill.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d have to agree with Jerhyn here, anyone who cares about the game and PvP wouldn’t take long to learn the changes. It has nothing to do with that.

A lot of us want to play the game as we remember, it has nothing to do with one-upping players with less knowledge.

The game’s crafting, itemization, skill system, runewords, staffmods, gambling, pvp, etc, are so much better than other rpgs, even ones recently released, that we are terrified newer players will be loud enough to wreck some of the systems we love.

Modern Arpgs are lacking what D2 has, some just don’t see it.

6 Likes

Basically this.

This game still does a lot better than modern ARPGS. Its hard to imagine that Diablo 3 was made by a company technically related to Blizzard North. Trashing it with poorly thought out changes senselessly will ruin it. If all you did was play singleplayer and beat baal repeatedly, you really REALLY missed out.

4 Likes

There is obviously more, however the point was that the game was about the fight against demons first, not competitive pvp. I see the pvp system more being a product of it’s time to support having a system of griefing (PKing). It wasn’t supposed to be balanced for pvp, because the system was never designed to be a competition.

Just because it can be done, doesn’t mean it is fun for all. It used to be fun, but then they made it tedious for melee characters. Just because the original 8 bit Final Fantasy can be beaten with 4 White Mages, doesn’t mean it is a general thing that everyone finds fun.

Should they constantly update skills and balance? No. Put it in the right place then don’t touch. I doubt most people want a repeat of 1.10 a few years into the game’s life.

I agree with this fully. Why bother changing skills at all, do we really need to?

Why change items? They’re iconic this game is decades old.

I honestly hope Blizzard doesn’t cave to all these buff/nerf/change threads, there are mods for a reason.

The whole argument for buffing skills is so the offshoot builds can be a bit more self sustainable right? So do that stuff in a single player mod.

Rifts, item and skill changes, nerfing teleport? I feel like this forum is just trolling people that actually like d2.

2 Likes

Mods are not official servers, and the mod support for this game will not be like the current mods. I doubt Blizz will allow a PoD or PD2 like private server for D2R. The discussion of balance was even there at Blizzcon with some of the Q&A questions showing support (from players) for balance changes (namely the question of immunities vs build diversity).

The Blizzard surveys, the reddit survey, all show that there are a large portion of fans interested in a revival and not just a simple rehash (In terms of the Blizz surveys, most of the questions seemed to derive from the divisive nature on these forums).

In any case, whatever happens, is in Blizzard’s hands now. They have the knowledge through their own means on what fans want, and will have further knowledge through the rest of the testing cycles and through bnet 2.0s metrics.

1 Like

Before any potential skill adjustments, I’d rather get at least one good season in without any changes for everyone to get their bearings on the game back.

Then if skill changes do come, I sincerely hope that Blizzard tempers the changes with the wisdom they lacked when adjusting the D3 skills to sky high damage ranges.

Any potential skill changes that do come must be scrutinized by the player base in a PTR setup to expose any overpowered changes. If there is one game that a lot of Diablo fans know through and through, it’s Diablo 2.

1 Like

And I’m fine with that. One last run of the 1.10+ balance and limited QoL. I actually would say it would be a good idea to release the PC version first before the console versions to get really good metrics on controller use and how skills/qol changes could affect console players.

I really hope they have the understanding that skill and item changes need to be done on a separate server, so that there can be an actual remaster, and whatever the second realm would be called “remake realm, whatever” can be left separate.

If not, I will refund if before release, and if after release, will never buy another Blizzard game again.

2 Likes