Wizard - stop buffing hydra set

This is long… Took me an hour to write

For the past few seasons, I always managed to hit #50 or higher with Wizard I think. For season 21, I’m #8, and that’s with regular typhon set and not an LoD hydra build.

I used to play tal set a lot before this channeling build seasons began. So I am happy to see that the 1 second delay from shoulder removed and that etched sigil cast only energy twister. It’ll make more wizard players play other builds / sets.

First, Fragment of Destiny buff says 25-30% per stack. In game, it says 20-30%.

I didn’t play the PTR long but I wanted to see how the redesigned fragment of destiny is. It says one spectral buff whenever you “land an attack with signature spell”. That means when you hit with signature spell!

But in the PTR, you gain one spectral per monsters hit, which is different from landing a hit. if you cast magic missile with the magic missile orb (mirror ball) cubed or equipped, you will gain 3 spectrals. (Well that is okay since this means you have to give up other items to cube.)

However, when you cast electrocute with the first rune (chain lightning), you might get 10 stacks with few hits. As long as you land the first shot, the rest spectral is guaranteed since the rune effect hits 100%. If there are 3 mobs, you will need 3-4 casts.

But now look…when you cast shock pulse - living lightning, you need only a single shot to get 10 stack. I do not know how it will work on bosses, but on a single zombie, it does give 10 stack depending on your position.

Summary of Fragment of Destiny- Right now, it’s not one spectral per monster hit, but 1 spectral per hit on monster.

Although the hydra channeling build is probably done, the buff to the Typhon makes it TOO good. It seems as the new hydra buffs are designed to debuff or balance the hydra build with the planned DMO build,

The changes that seem like hydra build set debuffed are actually buffs hydra builds.

Here is how.

Winter flurry = 150% bonus, fragment of destiny 200%. so it’s 350% compared to deathwish 325% and 150 etched sigil = 475% right now. (serpent sparker and magistrate cube isn’t changing so I will not write about it here.)

And the 6 piece bonus dmg from 1300% to 2000% means increase of 150% or so. Therefore, it’s more than 500% now. AND the character can move around and the dmg increase is instant! And then there is Arcane Dynamo…60% additional dmg

In the beginning of the season 21, my friends didn’t want to play with me because I had to channel and wizard having long cooldowns on teleport made it impossible to follow the GoD set or the monk POJ. So I couldn’t do fast runs seeking elites. I had to solo or leech for 2 min lvl 85s. a lvl 85 grift takes me about 4-5 min. So there is no way to run 2 minute runs. I had to solo every run unless the grift we were doing was 115 or higher.

With the next season’s buffed hydra built, I may be able to do fast lvl 85 runs since I do not have to stand still and I can join my friends.

But here is the deal

The buff to hydra means I won’t be able to play tal rasha set or firebird set. I hate how every solo wizards on the leaderboard are vyr or LoD. I think I am the only one who played regular typhon set. With the season 22 changes, I think I will end up casting two hydra and moving around casting some multi-hit signature spell.

We need tal set and firebird set to be buffed. Give those two sets a buff. I tried a lot of build with tal rasha this season, but my dmg was never enough to beat typhon set, even with soj and other glass cannon items.

Both Tal set and Firebird just need increased numbers for the sets!

As for the DMO energy twister or frozen orb:

I like how DMO is buffed. But it means using skills that can be reflected. No one will play with me when we have a zdps with nemesis calling the spinner monsters while I have the moving energy twisters! the twisters cannot be removed/stopped, the reflected lightning from monsters and the green flies kill team when I use slow time. So I’m stuck with soloing with the energy twister sitting on floor. It feels like the old DH caltrop build.

Even for the frozen orb build, it won’t change how ppl play. No place for wizards to play together with others.

Interestingly, the energy twister / hurricane thing bonus from season 21 did not get reflected! can you use it to make energy twister to be steady and not get reflected?

Please buff Tal set / firebird set dmg

OR

leave the DMO / Typhon set 6 piece set bonus % as it is. The buffed items will make wizards a little bit balanced, even though tal set or firebird will be on display at walmart or somewhere…

OR

Make all these changes, but with the non-reflect energy twister and buffed tal set and firebird.

I hope to play tal set again. both firebird and tal set can be used with DMO or typhon 4 piece bonus btw. So don’t worry about the dmg reduce part. Otherwise, it will be too OP.

There are other builds, but I won’t share them here. hehe…

As for firebird set, can u increase the 6 piece bonus and make weapon damage as part of the 3 fire damage required? friends are away from screen by the time you hit with 3 skills…

Ultimately, reduced teleport cooldown or better illusionist skill please.

This was long, but I hope it helps.

Etched sigil wont buff hydras damage in the future since it got reworked.
You may have an old variant of the item on PTR nonseason now but im sure they get retroactivated in live.

So, seeing forward this all is more of a rework and only a slight buff.

In the end, i can see arcane orb pushing higher than typhoons hydra right now. And that is actually a good thing, having more than only 1 build available (thats more than monk or witchdoc have :P)

Wrong maths there… you cannot simply add those up. The buffs are multipliers. DW/ES is a x10.625 multiplier on live, Fragment/Flurry totals to a x10 multiplier. So using Fragment/Flurry compared to DW/ES is actually a slight nerf, but you have to keep the 1 second delay of DW and ES in mind. So it’s actually on the same footing, at least on paper. Problem is that the mechanics are way more complicated. Instead of 1 skill to buff 'em all (channeling, you don’t even need to hit something), you now have to hit with a signature and keep enemies in your Blizzard, which is already hard enough as is unless you go for melee and keep the Blizzard around you. The signature skill is not much of a problem… casting Blizzard repeatedly is, though. The playstyle is inconsistent and awkward. And restraining, seeing that both items solely work on Hydras.

But don’t get me wrong here… I fully support Tal Rasha and Firebird, those need a significant buff and in case of Firebird a complete re-do. Otherwise both sets will be or rather stay dead. DMO is also not at an acceptable level either, adding more damage to a flawed mechanic isn’t really helping either.

1 Like

While it is an marginally lower multiplier, you should not forget: Stricken gem stacking. While ‘multiple times ticking damage’-abilities won’t result in also ‘multiple Stricken stacks’ …
(due to the inner CD on Stricken based on the ‘attacks per second’ rate)
… this triggered inner CD is based on the ‘attacks per second’-rate of that ability itself,…

( like Crusaders with their casted hammers
& their 1h Flail <Johanna’s Argument> )

… not the one written down in our [Details]-infotable:

• Fragment of Destiny and Shame of Delsere both together result in x2.25 as much ‘attacks per second’ for these primary skills and Stricken stacking possibility with them
  • Especially on RGs (but also when finishing off leftover Elite/Rare enemies) that increased stacking rate of Stricken is recognizeable.
    (More than compensating.)

===========================================================

And for anyone who did not understand Lexa’s given multipliers…

… see added multipliers like this way:

<Deathwish>

“increases damage by 325% while […]”

• meaning the damage you already do without this bonus & increased by 325%
  • 100%DamageUnchanged + 325%ItemBonus = 425%DamageAltered

= the damage you’d done without that item bonus x4.25

After this calculation & before doing the next calculation:

See value “DamageAltered” for the next item bonus calcuation as your new "DamageUnchanged(*)" again.

(*) unchanged as in: “Not changed by your next item’s bonus”

<Etched Sigil> [Current Live version in this calculation here]
“increases damage by 150% while […] also cast […]”

• meaning again, the damage you do without this next bonus & that increased by further 325%
  • 100%DamageUnchanged + 150%ItemBonus = 250%DamageAltered

= the damage you’d done without that item bonus x2.5

Both bonuses combined therefore resulting in:

• Damage x 4.25 x 2.5 = Damage x10.625

You simply see your damage before alteration #1 as a value of “100% of your damage now” and add to that the item’s increased damage bonus #1 of +___% value,

see your damage then before alteration #2 as a value of “100% of your damage now” and add to that the item’s increased damage bonus #2 +___% value,

see your damage then before alteration #3 as a value of “100% of your damage now” and add to that the item’s increased damage bonus #3 +___% value,

… and so on and so on.

(Or you go straight into calculating with the multipliers, where you just have to keep in mind that increased damage always includes the damage you are already doing:

" Damage before + added bonus "

where in “Damage before” represents obviously 100% of your damage
( = x 1.0 of your damage without the bonus )

You always have to add “your damage before THAT new multiplier” into these multipliers and then simply multiply them.

Example: 4 different bonuses that each add +200% increased damage.
( = 4 bonuses that will each triple your damage [ x3 ])

• YourDamage x (1.0+2.0) x (1.0+2.0) x (1.0+2.0)
    = YourDamage x 3.0 x 3.0 x 3.0
    = YourDamage x 27.0
3 Likes

Thanks for going into the details… yes, I didn’t mention Stricken and yes it will have a bigger impact the higher your GR level is. But as I wrote, damage-wise the two item combos are more or less on equal footing. It’s the mechanic of Winter Flurry that’s meh (plus issue it only affects Hydra, same as Fragment).

stopped reading after this… Etched sigil is the worst change to date!

2 Likes

Too be fair no one was pushing wizard this season because it was seriously underpowered so this is meaningless without paragon/gear/GR level comparison. Any of us who were on PTR S20 could tell you Typhon was underpowered @ 1300% for a top comparison.

Your modifier comparisons are flawed and you’re just wrong after the Etched Sigil change, they’re pretty equal so the set change stays. Yes of course Tal Rasha and Firebirds needs a lot of help, but at this point they’d need redesigns - it was unjust for new Hydra set to be left behind, that’s why they’re catching it up. Does this make it obviously better than those sets? Yes, but that’s because It was suppose to be . Look at all the other classes new sets besides Necro (which is fixed with this patch) and say they are equal or less powerful than their LoD or old sets and you won’t find any.

I see what you’re trying to say, the old sets got left behind here but they wanted the new sets to be powerful and the best and they fell behind with Wizard and Necro. Because of this, I believe they might do one more balance patch for the old sets…even though that’s what we should have got with this. I’m sure we’ll be getting some clarification soon.

The biggest problem with Hydra for me is that only 2 of them are viable…much like any build it caters waay to much toward 1 skill. Lightning was fun to play due to its zappy nature, ah well…

1 Like