Wish smoldering core were a wand

Not getting to use an off-hand like other classes is…pretty frustrating.
Especially ironic considering that Tal’s has an offhand.
I wonder if it was an oversight on Don Vu’s part.

Wait for the 4th cube slot season or mixed-cube season. Then you’ll be firing on all cylinders running 150s in your sleep.

I don’t mind it, really. Only intelligence build that uses a 2-hander, isn’t it? Necro and WD don’t. Dex classes have a couple. Strength classes sort of have one or two but rely on a passive to effective render them 1h weapons.

I prefer more interesting builds than rehashing the same formula over and over again.

Of course, forcing the two handers also has balance implications. Much easier to nerf the build. And isn’t it nice to see a build that isn’t just another Deathwish build?

Yeah, but it really is a shame that the Meteor set (well it’s not 100% a Meteor set, but let me have that ) which has a source set piece now has Meteor legendaries that won’t allow you to wear said source. That’s just bad design.

It was always stupid that Meteor was the only skill with legendary weapon powers on two 2-H staves - that wasn’t an issue as long as Smoldering Core was essentially only useless junk. But now, it’s a just sad decision.

I would suggest to have a way (passive) that allows wearing a source when you use a two handed staff (and it must not work with anything else but staves)…

Oversight? If he was responsible for this then it’s “working as intended”…

I dare to say that it is very intended, I believe this choice is there to avoid hybrid builds.

Tal has the opportunity to allow other sets into a build, remember the Tal-bird mix during the PTR (when the new bird arose)

It is very frustrating to try and create a build though :relaxed:

I’ll agree on the off hand being cast aside due to this. Such a shame.

1 Like

One question to you all, what if the smoldering core got incorporated to the set instead of the off hand?

Some tweaks on it like 20-30 % to all elemental damage and apoc would make it sweet.

As for “a legendary power on a set piece” discussion well that is a thorn for sure. Considering the avalanche of complaints from other classes the solution might be to move that legendary power to the 6pcs set with the an unlock mechanism.

Smoldering must be worn in order for that argument to work.

Ye it is just a bad design not to allow use offhand in meteor build when you want to use it.

Just add passive to tall set or item, or change it to 1hand.

Or change some talent that if you wear 6-p tall you can have 2hand nad source.

Honestly, I always thought it was a shame that wizards couldn’t dual wield a staff with another weapon, either sword or wand, especially since one of the older D3 arts depict a wiard doing exactly that.

2 Likes

Its primarily because our guys and you lexa amongst the pioneers who opposes archon builds. If it’s a wand, LoD archon will for sure makes a come back on Solo. Its already came back in group TK now. Nerfing swami or archon because meteor needs a stronger non archon version doesn’t feel right also.

So it’s kind of my fault? Good to know… lol :roll_eyes:

FYI, I don’t really like how the Archon skill works in general, so I don’t play it. Anyhow, I wouldn’t mind an Archon build revolving around Meteor. Could be fun, if it was implemented correctly. And it should be an actual Archon build, then I’d welcome it with open arms.

Thing is, the devs made extra sure to prevent the use of Meteor while in Archon form. They changed the Tal Rasha (2) piece for it. There are NO Archon Meteor builds at all. Unless they would add Meteor to the Archon skill options by whatever means they deem reasonable.

I would think about that. In fact, I would do it by reworking the Chantodo set. Would be awesome if that booooooooooooring Destruction Wave get’s axed and replaced by “While in Archon form you may call forth Meteors with the effect of every rune and a 1 second cooldown.” plus something more for when you are not in Archon form. This would also lead to Meteor having a wand+source.

But let’s leave it at that.

If it was a wand you would have to mega nerf alot of sets.

My gripe with the 2 hand is attack speed. Wish it was faster.

Idk , so why tall set got off hand with meteor dmg, when we are not able to use it at all, thats no sence, so would be nice if one of 2h weapon for meteor build is 1hand

1 Like