Windows Can't Open The File - Error

Hi, I’ve successfully played Diablo III many times in the past. I haven’t played in a long time. I just installed it and I cannot get the game to launch. I am able to successfully launch and play WoW, SC II, and SC on the same PC via the same launcher. When I try to run Diablo III I get an error message that reads:

“Windows can’t open the file,” and then it shows a long path that reads:

File: //startuptips/?TitleId=1956642556Processid=9940WindowId=2623234

And it reads just like it says above with a space after the colon that follows the word, “file” and it does not show a letter designation for any of my hard drives (I have three and the path is correct). The “W” is underscored and I did not know how to show that.

I read the forums and I tried deleting the Blizzard Folder and the Bnet Folder in appdata, localappdata, and temp. And I emptied the Recycle Bin.

I uninstalled and reinstalled.

I get this same error message each time.

What should my next step be?

Thank you.

Hey there Pastormetro,

That error sounds like either something is damaged or blocking a file from being read. Since you reinstalled already and also cleared out the folders the Battle.net Application uses to launch games, let’s see if creating and switching to a new administrator account helps.

If that doesn’t make a difference, please open a ticket so we can take a better look into what’s going on here.