Will Bones of Rathma ever be relevant at higher GR?

^Title

TL;DR: angry fanboi wants his favourite build buffed so he can feel good and not have to switch playstyles.

A bit ranty, but still. Rathma Mages is by far my favourite set and reflects the old D2 Summancer playstyle. The most common argument for choosing any class, or any build; in any rpg is often “play what you like”.

However, over the past few seasons, I’ve found myself becoming more and more frustrated that the Rathma set seems to be suffering over time. The lack of buffs feels to me like it continually fails to stay relevant, and often times the Pestilence or LoN/LoD builds far surpass it. LoN also seems to be more passive than anything as some of the top builds for it rely on Thorns.

I know it may seem like a starter build to some, but surely there must be more to it? Icy-Veins has continually rated it as a low to mid-tier build, while other sets like Inarius and Pestilence have seen the glory of being rated a high to top-tier. LoN/LoD enjoying top-tier for the past 2-3 seasons so far. Last season, Inarius Generator was rated higher, and all you do is run around spamming Grim Scythe.

You could make a thorns rathma and kill a blighter in a minutes @ gr150 just like LoN does.
just saying…

Other than using Jesseth set, LoD Mage can do everything that Rathma can do, only better. Rathma is a 41x multiplier and LoD is 98.5x at rank 99. If you go Jesseth route then the best Cube power is likely Scythe of the Cycle for another 5x on top of Jesseth 5x. LoD gets SotC (5x) and Reliana’s Shadowhook (>4x during Simulacrum) which is over double the damage from LoD build compared to Rathma.

Rathma is probably one of the worst set out there. 2PC bonus cooldown rate isn’t too great for a spell/ability that isn’t even viable. 4PC is just a simple damage reduction that probably needs greater value. 6PC really applies to/and matter only to Singularity mages. Command skeleton, revive, golem and other 5 skeletal mage rune is pretty much useless in terms of using them for pew pew’s.

While rathma was designed to be a pet build, it does not feel like it when you’re constantly maintaining to keep your mages up which is no fun. To me it does not reflect the D2 necromancer because of that. LoD/LoN trumps rathma currently and something needs to be done to make rathma unique from LoD/LoN pet build. I really hope they make rathma more of a passive pet build by allowing permanent minions. With rathma it’s already bit much with cursing, devouring, CC stun and activating command skeleton while trying to constantly casting mages with full essence.

Keep an eye on next ptr/season. Have a feeling they are going to nerf LoD mages. Now will they buff Rathma? We shall see. Might happen if necro is on the list for new set/buffs this next patch.

Necro got nerfed nerfed nerfed and now it is the weakest of all classes as shown by DEV’s Data.

Nerf it again and why we bothered buying the Necro pack…

There’s actually talk of nerfing Rathma even further. I’ve heard Devs have been upset with Rat runs. If you dont know what a Rat run is, it’s a Necro super fast meta early game. Necro has some of the best multipliers early in the game from Kadala.

Thorns is dead