Who Designed These New Sets?

Just going to be blunt. I feel like honesty is always a good practice. I’m not trying to be mean, but there’s no way around it. Aegis of Valor and Patterns of Justice make no sense to me.

Patterns of Justice:

This looks like it’s completely designed around Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind to me. You want to know what else is designed around Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind? Monkey King’s Garb (Sunwuko). Each stack of Sweeping Wind increases your Tempest Rush (and WoL/LTK) damage with Sunwuko. Guess what Sunwuko also has? 50% Damage Reduction.

So let’s be honest… Sunwuko (and Inna and LoD for that matter) can do Tempest Rush/Sweeping Wind combination better. What is the point of this set then? Was there any internal testing done on this set? 50% Movement Speed for a 4-piece set power? That’s it? Please tell me that is an oversight and it was supposed to be 50% Movement Speed & < insert other bonuses >.

This set has low defense and low scaling damage. What is its purpose? It is slower than other Monk speed farming builds. It has no chance of scaling well with the current itemization to be successful in high Greater Rifts. Can a developer please explain their thought process?

Aegis of Valor:

I’ve made a couple of threads in the last week on this set… but let me just re-iterate - this set serves no purpose. It’s a set for one skill - Fist of the Heavens. Fist of the Heavens is an extremely expensive Wrath spending skill. Want to know what set already exists to deal with extremely expensive resource costing skills? Armor of Akkhan.

Let’s compare Darklight with AoV (2) while we’re at it… Darklight is one item. It spawns a 2nd Fist of the Heavens every cast. AoV (2) does not spawn a 2nd Fist of the Heavens every cast. Darklight not only procs at a higher rate… it also increases the damage of Fist of the Heavens by 3x the damage… this basically means Darklight is about 6x the damage increase. AoV (2) is about a 1.5x damage increase. How does that make sense?

1 item is 4x more damage than 2 items?

Also, can I just ask… why is every Crusader set just for one skill essentially? Rolands is basically just Sweep Attack… Seeker is basically just Blessed Hammer… Akkhan is basically just Condemn at this point… Invoker is basically just Punish… why is every build for Crusader turning into - equip your one offensive skill and then equip as many resource/defense buffs that you can? Maybe equip some utility for grouping monsters while you’re at it.

28 Likes

Honestly, I believe sets should be mostly generic when it comes to damage boosting; any skill that needs a boost could be done via legendary items and/or skill buffs.

3 Likes

If the intent was to Tempest Rush a buncha mobs together in a short period while Sweeping Winds burns em down then that set needs at the very min 65% innate DR and the larger Sweeping Winds need to do 4x the damage.

If the intent was to TR past mobs quickly then the movement bonus needs to be doubled, still need 50% DR minimum and the SWs need to be procced @ 5-10 hits and not 30, but still do at least double damage.

Considering Sunwuko SW/TR and Bells is a thing, option #1 seems more appropriate.

maybe remove Tempest Rush from Patterns of Justice? I don’t mind! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve always wonder that. every class that I’ve played is kinda the same set up
One skill that does all the dmg
One big cd that you keep perm up time
Then defense cds
But if I remember right d2 was kinda the same way.
If you played a sorc and just used cold, and trash was immune, you couldn’t do anything. But if u had others skills that weren’t as strong you could still do it.

These sets literally look like internal first iteration aka placeholders

7 Likes

They definitely seem like first iterations we would have seen in Patch 2.2 at the start of a long PTR. Seeing as this PTR is only going to be a week… I’m so confused what’s going on with both of these sets.

Now that I’ve actually looked at the Monk one… it just makes no sense…

At least the Aegis of Valor has a higher multiplier than Akkhan…

4 Likes

Siladil go to work for Blizz?..

1 Like

i have to agree. why is it that an entire new set is only boosting a single skill for sader? why is the damage reduction a build-up? why is there no specific shield or bracer that goes with this skill? why did the totally required belt that wasn’t changed but still NEEDED not included in the PTR bag of items? i spent hours and thousands of shards trying to farm that belt just to see how the build would really work out.

why is the monk set not only overlapping with SWK skills, but not including a damage reduction of any kind, requiring a belt slot due to affix damage (which i also had to farm, thankfully not for long), AND boosting damage of sweeping wind but NOT tempest rush, even though it requires it? i also wonder what the 6pc actually means, the way it is written. do i have to hit with tempest rush 30 times in a short period? or sweeping wind? how long is this short period? WHY 30? i get what it means, but it’s pretty confusing tbh. another issue i have with the 6pc is that i have NEVER seen sweeping wind grow in size. how big is it supposed to grow? cuz i havent seen it happen once, i feel like it’s bugged. why are things like this never stated across the board in this game?

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Spot on !!
I cannot disagree with your summation.
Well done Jako

especially monks have so many other room for improvement, see here Monk and what we really need
the new set is as it is simply bad because of obvious reasons:
no dr, no dmg and not well thought balance. yes, if played with generator it feels a bit like vanilla monk but why then combone it with tr? and why buff a skill with no support? and why not as suggested some martial art?
but still other existing builds need much love, ltk, uliana, generator.

Most important: let us monks get rid of unity ring on any(!) solo build!

1 Like

Honestly, I was a little hyped when the new sets were announced, but I was also expecting to be decieved.

Problem is, they don’t have the game vision. They don’t play their own game, and I think I can assume they don’t have any idea about how a build is over the top.

The patch shows it perfectly:

• Heaven fist just got one legendary buffed for the build. When the core game is actually about synergy around legendaries multipliers… It was highly predictible that the set would underperform a lot.
    If they knew about what make a build powerful, other legendaries would be revamped/created/buffed for the new set as well.
    (Or it’s just laziness, i don’t know…)

• Even I, as a rare monk player, I knew the set would be trash as well. Skills already supported by Sunwoko, no damage mitigation…

Your point is valid, too much valid. I am always happy to see new content for free in one of my fav game, but… Damn, it’s always the same. The potential is huge, they just miss the point about the new sets.

1 Like