Where do primal items come from?

Iv been trying to find info on them and i cant find an answer. Can you get them from just playing the game or do they only drop when you are playing a seasonal character?

I think they start to drop after you reach lvl 70 in Great Rift.

You need to complete a SOLO GR70 or higher. And by “complete,” it means killing the Rift Guardian before the time expires.

After that, Primals will have a chance to drop in any scenario that ancients can drop. They are not a seasonal thing. Of course, if you do play a seasonal character, then you are guaranteed a primal drop the first time you complete a solo GR70.

1 Like

And one other thing: Primals are unlocked per game mode, not per character.
Game mode means: Normal(“softcore”) non-season, normal season, hardcore non-season, and hardcore season. For example, once one of your normal non-season characters unlocks the chance of dropping primals, then all of your other normal non-season characters have a chance.

If you unlock primals on a seasonal character, then all other seasonal characters will have a chance of getting primals. Also, once the season ends and the seasonal characters become non-season, that then unlocks primals for all other non-seasonal characters.

Ok gotchya so the reason i haven’t found one yet is cuz they are just really rare. Thanks alot for clearing that up for me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes in a way they are rare. They claim there is a drop rate, but I don’t believe it. This season and other seasons I have had 2 or 3 in with a 50 drops. This season I got one from Kadala then did a GR and got another one. There was one time I got 4 in less then 15 mins at the cube doing upgrades.

The experts here claim you might get one after 400 drops. But Blizzard never came out with a official statement drop rates. All they said that you have a chance to get a primal instead of a ancient. They will drop when they drop.

Indeed, Blizzard has never confirmed exact drop rates. The 1 in 400 is a rough estimation based on player observation of all drops. In a very long term the primal drop rate averages 1 in 400. Unfortunately way too many interpret this as one should more or less always get 1 primal for every 400 legendaries but it doesn’t work like that. The short term variance can be huge. Sometimes it might take couple thousand legendaries before one primal drops and other times several primals can drop in short duration.

I have people in my clan that play as much as I do. They a lot of times get really less than I do. I don’t sit there counting how many drops I get.

I have better things to do when playing the game. I don’t worry about things in the game like out people do. There was one season where I got 35.

I play all the seasons the same. I do about 1000 to 1100 on paragon on all the accounts. That is it I have 3 accounts too. My accounts are Davey, BigRed & my 11 old grand daughters Lorelei that I help her with.

There drop when they drop no more no less.

One time i had TWO primals on one GR.

Its just RNG, i think the “one in 400” drops are more or less what it is, its hard to accurate that on GRs and regular drops, but not that hard on itens you can craft, like hellfire amulet or blacksmith stuff.
At least for hellfire amulet and aughild set, from my perspective is accurate.