What Mod Support Will D2R Have?

Clearly you don’t understand that modding, in any game, can and usually does increase the life span of a game. For instance Duke3D. Without modding there wouldn’t still be a community surrounding the game. You people seem to think that your endless baal runs is what kept people playing, but you, as the WC3 community were, are wrong. Modding is a big part of why D2 is even still played 20 years later. Without it the game would’ve been completely dead a long time ago.

2 Likes

The point is that the changes Blizzard are making made it impossible for a lot of the mods to even exist. Yes, the modder has to put the work in, but Blizzard still needs to allow for it in their code.

2 Likes

I think it’s extremely unfortunate what they have done to modding for this game

Only if by doing what they have done helps severely secure the game from 3rd party cheating programs….then I can understand why they sacrificed modding.

I highly doubt that though.

I don’t agree with you.

Tens of thousands still play D2 around the world w/o any mods.

Your mod users are a small dot on the large population of regular D2 players worldwide.

One reason I don’t use mods is because it makes the game too easy to play.
It’s just boring as heck to use any of the mods.

I love D2 as is with Season play!

Please provide proof. Also, please read previous posts, like my last one, that debunk these baseless claims before posting. Stop spreading misinformation.

The game isn’t even out yet. You don’t know if we will not be able to mod, regardless of what BrotherLaz or other proponents of spreading misinformation say.

Modding is a huge part of the game’s longevity, you got this part right. However, the community for modding is a lot smaller than you might think. Most of the people that played Diablo 2 LOD probably didn’t touch modding at all. The Phrozen Keep community is barely 34,000 users large. At Diablo 2’s peak, it has at least 10x that.
This is in no way saying that I am not in support mod modding but modding definitely wasn’t the reason why D2LOD survived.

Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction survived on its own merits. It was and still is a legitimately good game.

2 Likes

We both know they have effective diminished the abilities of most of the modding community already by what they have already announced.

1 Like

No. We do not. The only information we have is that TCP/IP was removed. That is it. That is not even remotely a clue as to the state of the game’s modability.

You, and everyone else are pulling things out of thin air because of your fear of the idea that because they removed TCP/IP that it might signal problems for the modding community - because people keep spreading misinformation to incite emotional outcries against Blizzard because they fear change.

The game isn’t out yet and we haven’t been told a single thing about the state of the game’s development in regards to modding. The Phrozen Keep has many people who are very capable people in the modding scene that have torn apart the beta client and alpha client with minimal effort.

Some keep claiming that the executable to the game has been “obfuscated” to prevent modding but what these people don’t think about is that it was likely done this way to prevent further breaking into the game to keep development data mining to a minimum. Maybe something else entirely.

We will not know a single thing until we are told directly, or until the game comes out.

1 Like

Hey you may be right and honestly I hope you are.

I’m a fan of mods, I enjoy trying them out even if I don’t continue using them.

3 Likes

Blizzard D2R team is working their butts off trying to finish off the release version for 9/23.
Their biggest job is to have the smallest bug list after the games release.

At present moment, Season and Mod support are not important.

Please let the game become stable and playable after 9/23 then Season and Mod support will follow.

1 Like

We are in agreement here. I absolutely enjoy mods, but as for D2R, being brought to modern standards, I won’t have much need for mods for a few years as I plan to play D2R out of the box for many years to come as I did with D2LOD. I played D2LOD so much that I logged over 25K hours on the game in my teen years since I finished school very early and had a lot of time.

1 Like

I’m hoping in a few years I’ll be trying out Diablo 4

This is not mod support, this is alteast some kind of overlays with additional info

Yeah this has been a really unfortunate turn of events. The future of Diablo 2 is in modding. Would be really sad if some Activision suits destroyed it.

I think the best thing Blizzard could do is inform us the tools/plans they have to support the modding community.

Because as I stated before, the current situation doesn’t sound good for people that enjoy playing with mods.

I honestly thought there would be single player modding access. Did they not say there would be? I will probably be getting a refund if there isn’t any mod access. :frowning:

Although it is sad :disappointed_relieved: , but people don’t really need PlugY in D2R. Most of its feature is in D2R already.

When they are making a remaster, it becomes their business. If they want to create a faithful remaster, preserving the gameplay.
That very much include the modding scene.

Tens of thousands…

You dont exactly need to be part of some “community” to use mods.

Also Plugy developer saying the game cant support plugy, due to Blizzards added restrictions.

I hope you are right.
Still Blizzard should be more forthcoming with information.

They gave information about ladder at least.
People should have that information, to make a qualified decision on whether they want to buy the game.

They outright promised modding would be a thing, and even said they would make it easier.

Larger stash is still the big one.

1 Like

So, HeroEditor for offline editing, this also may not be possible?

Dont know, but since that is just file editing, I would guess it is possible. Wouldn’t truly consider that modding.

For people (including me) that enjoy completing the Holy Grail, yes, we would need unlimited stash since currently there is a limit of 20 characters. With this restriction, there is no way to hold all the items to hold all the items.

That said, I started this thread not to debate if we need XYZ mod, but because the more I look around the more I see mods being stopped due to some restriction/removal of access Blizzard has recently changed.

1 Like