What I HATE about Diablo IV Skill System - A Case for Character Building

I was mentioning when power creep got started. Then afterward when they kept buffing those multipliers they were increasing the power of the characters. Why because in this game the power is in the sets and legendaries. Since sets and legendaries are what make the build then any buff to them is a buff to the build thereby increasing the power of the build. Then you have power creep.

Lmfao. I’m so done.

You’re unwilling to let go of your ego and you’re just going circles and I’m not doing it.

2 Likes

exactly! the vast majority of his statements are supported by fallacies but he doesn’t seem to recognize them despite we point them out. It is pontless to argue with him as he’ll never understand.

Hey, and thats okay! Everyone is limited in their knowledge. I can certainly start talking about x topic and everyone here will be looking at me crazy.

But never look down upon someone. Cause we are limited in our way.

“Those who do not understand should learn or stay silent.” - John Dee

The fault of this is still obvious, if my fantasy is to be a jack of all trades Barbarian, I cannot do this in your system, I do not have my role play decision…I think that is crud.

Of course you can be that in ‘my system’. You cant use all skills (due to the 6 skill limit - which btw should be higher), but you can make a character that is not specialized at anything, but aims to be decent at everything. ‘My system’ actually encourages that.

That is a jack of all trades, master of none.

That is not me, I am an elitist, I want to be top notch in everything so long as the games progression system is worth it.

Which is exactly what you wrote you wanted to be.
But okay, Master of all then.
No, you should certainly not be allowed to be that.

2 Likes

Just put points into everything and be a jack of all trades Barbarian.

D2 skill system allows for this.

2 Likes

Very nice feedback ! +1

1 Like

Why, you have not shared anything other than a preference.

That is why I am bringing this up.

If someone can provide me an anecdotal piece of evidence as to why putting hundreds of hours into one character to master everything is better than having 5+ characters to fulfill the same objective, then I am on board.

But again, as of now, all I see is a preference point, that clearly many people do not agree with. In the end, limiting factors do not create replayability, they create burnout and force people to play new games/titles.

Limiting factors create meaningful choices.

The point of having limited respecs is that you can’t just be optimal at everything with the character you are playing at any given moment. Instead you need to choose your strengths and weaknesses. Can you live with moving 10% slower, but not be severely crippled the moment you meet a specific enemy type etc. Having to pick those strengths and weaknesses is what defines building a character, it is what makes it fun and interesting. Also for those who dont want to make multiple characters.
In games with zero respec limitations, you just always choose the most optimal strengths and no weaknesses for your character (well, as few as the current balance of the game allows obviously, which honestly only exacerbate any balance issues).

In D3 you have some small amount of respec limitations, since you can’t respec in a GRift. But imagine you could, people would spec one thing for the trash clearing, and another for the boss - making builds even less interesting than they already were. Free respeccing elsewhere is exactly the same imo.

But of course it is a preference. You cant make game design into math. I certainly do believe it makes for a better game experience for everyone though, also those who like the idea of free respeccing.

Also worth mentioning, I am not against all respecs, just limiting them. Should be possible to adjust to mistakes, balance changes etc. Just not jump from build to build every hour etc. whenever you switch to a new in-game activity.

3 Likes

I won’t waver from my stance because the way they described it, it will take “a long time” for someone to master each skill.

The limiting factor is that you can use 6 skills, I think this is the perfect way to create player choice.

When leveling, you will want to be streamlined into a specific focus, so starting out as a fledgling, you build the character into a specific fantasy. At that point, you have the choice to stop, have that mastered, and likely sell skill tomes for crafting mats, gear, or whatever.

This method they are using focuses on several key elements and intertwines them into a cohesive unit.

Love this post

However i think it most likely will not do any good.
Their Diablo team would have to be completely mind controlled into thinking another way. The PC way.
Diablo to them is what Diablo III is. Made for console and with the depth of a mobile game.

1 Like

If Blizzard wants Diablo IV to be more like Diablo II, then BRING BACK Skill Tree System. The whole Blizzard Entertainment are corrupt!

But no characters are really ultimately unique at all with this approach?.. eventually someone could just spend the time to master each skill? There is no incentive to ever re-roll that class when you can just cycle through skills on the first character.

I don’t really see how 6 skills that you can interchange with other skills is a limiting factor. At least in regards to having unique customized characters and character building like this post is talking about it’s not really relevant.

Personal take it’s pretty fun to see people create different builds and to have different characters of the same class that are uniquely their own and play differently. The interchangeable skills take any novelty out of it and you can really just play the one character and level different skills so any unique customization isn’t so relevant.

3 Likes

It would be a good addition if it were a choice. Let party’s select a loot system they want to play by. Either everything just dropping D2/D1 style, rolling for loot, or having personal loot. Regardless of which one you choose, non of the loot dropping should be tuned towards characters killing it, but random, for this is the RPG way.

2 Likes

Very good post sir, thanks for the time you’ve put to assemble this together. A lot of things well said which I also thought of.

Blizz, I hope you read this and draw inspiration/conclusions.

I think you are personally. Look at D3, you have a much worse progression, but for most players, if you focus on lets say HotA Barbarian, you get ancients for that build, you augment it, level your legendary gems up to around 90-100 and focus that style. For most of the playerbase, that is their focus, that is their character. Most players are not going to have time to gather another ancient set, augment that set, level the leg gems, and push Whirlwind as well.

Then for players that play a lot, our limiting factor is going to be the buildout we choose to put in the 200-300 hour grind to get all skill points and master the class. Because class mastery means more to our character choices and role playing than being defined by a limiting specialization.

I do not want to waste time leveling multiple characters assuming the leveling process is going to be in the 50 hour timeframe they are suggesting. I want to master my character, continue to work on collecting all necessary loot for the builds I envision, and give them a go. Forcing someone to level a new character is not fantasy lore in my eyes, it is a burnout.

But that is because my role playing choice is becoming the mast of a class with MY CHARACTER.

The way that I understand it, it isn’t a smart loot drops when they are talking loot dropping for your character. The way that I understand it as follows I will use a barb and a monk. You are playing a barb and I am playing a monk. Both of us are the only ones teaming together.

Loot drops more like non smart loot of old but with D4’s affixes. Using D3’s sets to explain what I am talk about. Two set items drop, your monk gets Firebird’s chest, and I get UE’s boots. You cannot see my boots that dropped and I cannot see the chest that dropped for you.

This is better instead of everyone’s loot up for grabs then a ninja looter can pickup all of the loot. Whatever the game decided that I should get for putting in the effort is what I want to have. You might want to be the ninja that goes around taking what others should be getting, but not me nor does anyone else want to fall victim to such thing.