What Diablo 4 can learn from Wolcen

First of all: I am not advertising the other game. However, Wolcen drank from the source of D2, it is fair that D4 developers can do the same. They made a game that is not as simple as D3 and not as complex as POE.

The main thing about a game is the gameplay. In Wolcen, in addition to the gameplay, everything was executed with great care: graphics, movement, engaging and fluid combat and itemization of items.

I really liked the archetypal approach. Basically, you can use all the skills of the game in the same character. Does this decrease the variety? Not as it was implemented in Wolcen.

There is a great freedom to create the path that your character will follow. There are items that let you mix caster and melee skills. Want to be a pure melee with ice damage, you can too, without a single caster skill.
I’m having a great time and I haven’t even scratched the surface of what the game offers. Blizzard has much more firepower than the Wolcen producer, just follow good examples.

ROFL! They have an end game without even being in the end game. An exceptional idea (ok ok, similar to rifts but much better)!

4 Likes

You are on a D3 forum with this as your title DIABLO 4 VS WOLCEN.

1 Like

The acronym “VS” is not about disputing which is the best, but a comparative way about what can be followed as a good example.

The developers have already said they have people playing the other ARPGS games to take advantage of the good ideas.

Don’t make the post a stupid dispute, be constructive.

P.S.: I changed the title to avoid controversy.

9 Likes

Wolcen’s itemization sucks. Their “legendaries” aren’t legendary by any stretch of the imagination. As it is, replayability is extremely limited because there’s nothing worth farming.

I don’t anticipate playing their Adventure mode after completing the campaign once. And with Dying Light 2 being indefinitely on hold, 2020 will suck gaming-wise.

1 Like

Last Epoch is definately worth a look though. Especially in terms of long-term farming, they have a really neat crafting system in place that lets you add specific bonuses on items, with increasing risks of making them unmodifiable, so that perfect items will take a while to get.

1 Like

Are you sure we are talking about the same game?

The game is limited to level 20 and I have already created at least 10 builds all viable.

I can’t believe you played it lately, the unique items go perfectly with the legendary ones. There are rare items that are usable because of their attributes.

I’ve been playing for 15 days and I’ve had more fun than in the last 6 months of D3. Every new item I find is a new build possibility.

Wolcen’s approach of dumping everything into one character type is incredibly lazy. It showed me what a good game D3 still is in comparison.

FYI PoE isn’t complex. It’s just purposely convoluted and watch out if you play something everyone else is because the’ll nerf it and buff every monster in the game.

2 Likes

I wont argue the gameplay in it. It is convoluted, which I am sorry to say is a synonym of complex. Its character building has a lot of different variables in it, but it is not very difficult to find the best because of the patches.

I has been noted by people on their forums that what is a good build is nerfed and another build, even if it is number 2 the previous season is buffed. They are constantly changing things to keep people interested. Now if that is good or bad, I leave that up to others to decide. For me, it got old quick having fun things disappear or be made unusable.

I have noticed this as well. The layout of the classes’ passive tree may change which trees are next to which other, but they arem in the end, the same passives. It does not help much. I am hoping there is another ring or two for the final game, but right now, it is too shallow to hold onto me for long.

This one game I will disagree on.

The gameplay doesnt flow at all. The best skill I have seen so far is Bladestorm (D3’s WW) and that is because I dont have the “skills are always slowing you down” problem that happens with most ARPGs and their melee attacks. D3 lets me put a skill on the right mouse button and holding it down, I will move until I get close to a mob and autoattack. It makes melee feel a lot less slow.

The skill/passive trees are pretty straight forwads. The passives are just “run down the list”. There is no sense of them doing much. I am not saying there is no effects, just it is hard to feel them. The skill trees can have a lot more of an effect, but some of the effects feel really shallow. “You get +X more defense now!” does not feel right for a skill to give you unless it is a defensive skill. There is no real feeling of the skill trees being appropriate. Like the PoE trees, it feels like empty choices to just feel space.

We shall see how Wolcen and Last Epoch go as they change. I am currently more hopeful for Wolcen, but that depends on what is added at release.

1 Like

I didn’t even think wolcen was out yet.

It’s current release date is Feb 13 but an incomplete beta has been available for some time to try out.

Last Epoch certainly has promise but I agree about the flow: it felt very choppy to me. The distance between rifts is far too short which made me feel unsettled. That may have been an explicit design decision but it wasn’t to my taste.

Skillwise it felt ok to me. Nothing special but interesting enough to keep me going for a couple of hours before I switched to trying out Wolcen.

This is also the Diablo 4 discussion forum. Next.

2 Likes

Wow…attributes…so exciting and groundbreaking, never seen them in D3 or something.

is this a joke or what? have you even played wolcen? Terrible movement, targeting enemies, skill responsiveness and the overall character control is the first thing i noticed when i played that game. It is just done poorly compared to D3.

2 Likes

It’s poorly optimized for sure. It’s most noticeable when you’re trying to click on items on the ground, and you have to click at least 3 times to pick them up.

It’s got bad input lag as well, even offline.

Single player + co-op multiplayer?

No thanks I’ll pass.

Same would apply to D4.

Honestly … I don’t believe you guys played. I had none of these problems. It seems to me that you are just widows from diablo 3. We are losing focus. The purpose of the post is to talk about good ideas that can contribute to the development of D4.
Again, be constructive and don’t just depreciate.

Have they improved the gameplay feel from last summer, everything felt slow, clunky and delayed by a fraction of a second. Not to mention all loot was boring. It has potential, but last time I checked it out is was a yawn fest.

I’m certain after rereading that this is an advertisement for the game. Like I said it has potential, it just plays like old butt.