Weapon damage range?

In Diablo 2 all weapons of the same type have the same base damage. Is that not the case for d3? I have two legendary swords Maximus. They have different damage ranges.

Legendary items have two tiers, regular legendary and ancient legendary.
Ancient has ~30% higher [element] damage, main stat, vit, … Other affixes and legendary power are same as regular.

Primal is same tier as ancient. Their affixes are always maximum (or minimum).

It’s the same for D3. Just make sure you are comparing similar items. Two things that can make a difference: item level and whether the item is a regular legendary or an ancient legendary.

What affects the damage range that is shown on the weapon stat screen?

Maximus 1: 2224-2846 dmg
1407-1666 fire dmg
19% fire sk dmg
9% dmg
976 int

Maximus 2: 1981-2560 dmg
1348-1615 fire dmg
17% fire sk dmg
1053 str
6% atk speed

I play on ps3 so none of them are ancient.

Both weapons have the same min and max damage range. So in other words, if you had perfect rolls with both, they would have the same damage.

First weapon has a higher +damage range, and it also has an additional 9% damage.
Second weapon has a lower +damage range, no additional damage %, but does have increased attack speed, which will inflate the DPS but not affect the damage per attack.

Note that both weapons do have the same base damage. If you remove the +damage and the extra % damage on both, they would have the same damage.

Note that the numbers are randomly rolled within some possible ranges.

On PC, We can press CTRL keys to display the possible ranges. Don’t know how to do it on console.

According to the values given, seems both swords same tier and probably same item level.

Also, note that one rolled INT and one rolled STR. Choose the one that suit your class.

Ah ok, thanks, I get it now. I was confused because in d2, elemental dmg wouldn’t be incorporated into the total damage shown on the weapon screen.

I use these for my crusader and his enchantress so we can run around with two demonic slaves :slight_smile:

Do note this as well, the flat base damage range of a weapon is the same regardless of the drop. Per the example above.

Maximus (Base Stats)
694-1036 Damage
1.10 Attacks per Second

This will be true for every Maximus that drops.
The main changers that affect the damage range of a weapon is the:
+xxxx-xxxx Element Damage
+% Damage
+% Attack Speed

Element Damage is the main compoent of randomess. In the case of Maximus its always Fire Damage and the Range is +[1177 - 1439]-[1410 - 1788]. Element damage is added to the base damage. This elemental stat should NEVER be rolled off a weapon unless its a zdps build due to how much damage it provides the weapon.