Vyr frozen orb 150 ideas?

Vyr seems worst push set for Wizard. Since I managed to get all my other wiz S28 targets done, I wonder if I have patience to push Vyr still a little more. Now I have cleared 142, which means there’s still a long way to go for 150. Based on previous play I’d say my limit on good map currently is lower than 150.

Any tips for getting higher clears (other than git gud + fish a lot)?

• My build has been counter archon frozen orb, with convention of elements, halo of karini and squirt’s amulet. Black hole for cc + group + position mobs.
  • Need to fish decent map + early empowered shrine effect. I basically cannot move from starting point before I get empowered - too weak after losing archon stacks. This fishing part is quite frustrating
    • in good starter map I wait couple of potion rounds for correct shrine effects (armor + frenzy help a lot also)
    • in bad map but empowered at start → skip 1 or 2 maps to see if it gets any better
    • other maps → restart
  • Gameplay
    • Try to drag mobs at archon and shoot them out of archon. Spend full 20sec out of archon in case there are mobs to kill
    • Try to keep squirts up. This is not so easy as with other sets since I cannot do effective stutter stepping at Vyr attack speeds. No space for teleport in skill bar either.
    • I also tried to get 2 cold coe cycles for every other dmg cycle but I find it very hard to concentrace doing it effectively. Another option maybe is trying to get double stacks for small amount of orbs at second coe cycle. But as said, it’s hard to pull of with squishy build.

I haven’t tried any Vyr setup yet, so forgive my inexperience. My first instinct would be to try Focus&Restraint rings while putting the Halo in the cube. This forces you to give up Aughild’s set, but if you have a good Ashnagarr(sp?)'s Blood Bracer then that and the extra point from the cubed Karini power should make you stronger overall(defense is offense when Squirt is an issue), and the consistency of the rings may be better than trying to play around a Convention cycle.

You need ancient gear to augment. Your Vyr has 5 normal pieces costing you something like 4,000 INT, which is probably around a 10% toughness boost, or ~4 GR tiers worth of monster damage.
The most annoying one of these to get is going to be the belt, which is where all your blood shards should be spent.

Edit: Gear up your Enchantress. Free gains in armor and either cooldown or elemental damage.

1 Like

Thanks for comments.

Maybe could test Focus+Restraint setup I didn’t do that yet. While this doesn’t necessarily provide any more potential dmg against Coe + Karini + RORG + Aughild’s, it surely gives more stable dmg instead of burst which sounds good with my bad timing skills. No idea if this makes me more squishy or not. Aughild total dmg reduction is good, but Vyr attack speed might keep shields nicely up with Ashnagarr bracers too. I’ve got quite decent one in my stash.

Ancient gear sure should help me. I’ve been suffering to find good ancient jewelry whole season, which costs a lot for all my wiz setups. I might still be able to get some of the remaining as ancient, but I don’t even hope anymore to get all. For belt, 2% change to get ancient with 49-50 stacks :slight_smile:

Enchantress I totally forgot (needed templar in my other frozen orb DMO runs but I’m sure there’s no great need with Vyr), this should give me some help in case it doesn’t affect negatively for other gameplay.

One thing I’ve been planning to try when I get to higher paragons is Force Armor in various builds that otherwise would want Karini Storm Armor. Vyr’s attack speed often approaches the 5/sec cap, combining with the blood bracer and Deflection to give you 40% of your max life in absorb shields per second, which is neat when big hits are reduced to only 35%. The point of this is to maximize damage output by replacing Halo of Karini so all your jewelry is offense-oriented. Maybe F&R on the body and Convention of Elements in the cube.

But you know that Vyr wizards are squishy. It all comes down to how far above the Force Armor absorption cap the typical incoming hit ends up being.

At least with my skills at 4.8k paragon Vyr seems way too squishy for removing Halo of Karini, so I didn’t bother even trying much like that. Might be possible with really skilled player at high paragon and in highly fished circumstances.
I could manage with Force Armor with DMO frozen orb. It helped a lot reaching 150 there. I wonder why no other 150 clears at EU leaderboard use it. They have dropped Karini but still kept storm armor (seems for minor quite unnecessary arcane power benefit).

I now managed to get to GR 145 with coe build by concentrating more on amount of archon stacks and forget the idea of trying to use 2 cold cycles per round. 150 still quite far away.