US FinCEN regulations and Virtual Currency

Is there anyone out there that knows if the FinCEN regulations on virtual currency apply to D:I or why these regulations do not apply?

Presumably, this was (or at least contributed) to why the D2 RMAH went the way of the dodo bird. These rules have neen updated since then.

Those regulations never mattered much tbh, as other companies have kept running their RMAH style systems.
But you cant officially cash in on the D:I currencies, the way you could through RMAH, so that at least is a big difference from a financial regulation point of view.

Nevermind FinCEN how are all these loot box games not being banned/regulated into the ground for being online gambling?

I’d argue this is one of those scenarios where a good number of our politicians being 60+ works against us, as the likelihood of them having both a significant interest and knowledge of games decreases. The rise of RMT in online games and the official adoption of it by companies is a problem that’s really 25-30 years old and more on the niche side until maybe 10 years ago.

Put another way, until it affects them personally, they’re unlikely to give a damn. Kotick being on the record for making right-wing donations likely does us little favors for keeping the eye off matters, either.

It’s a situation where people have heard if the law but really doesn’t know what it’s about.