[Updated] Season 19 Abuse of Game Mechanics

I dont post much, but that was hilarious what a retort OMG im dying from laughter.

1 Like

I contest the fact that the mechanic of the seasonal theme was a bug. Even if it could be subsumed under the according definition, there is enough room for an argument there to establish “reasonable doubt” (which i’m aware is not a principle of civil courts).

No they can not and no i/you/he did not. In fact if Eggmans account was suspended he could very well sue in civil court and i’d predict he’d win.
And of course D3 is not a court of law, but legal matters concerning D3 are as much opened up to the legal process as every other matter too.

That’s exactly what i meant and why i felt the urge to post my initial statement: it’s a complex matter which is difficult to grasp and it’s hard to differentiate all the correlating legal and substantive questions. None of you repliers fully understood it (some not at all) and i don’t blame you. Also it doesn’t matter. But i do hope that Blizzard get’s it right. I doubt that up to this point they consulted in depth with their legal department, but they certainly will and i’m looking forward to the outcome.

Sue for what?

Even if they had a winning case they’d spend more money in legal fees and get nothing in return. There was no monetary loss involved. Or, if there was, it’s more likely from sponsors and/or supporters of their Channel, because Blizzard Entertainment does not pay people to play their games. In which case, they’d be better off trying to sue Twitch.

Perhaps you should contact Eggman and see if they’ll let you represent them.

2 Likes

For suspending the suspension!?
I did not think THAT part was so hard to get…

Someone would actually pay $1,500 to $5,000 just to try and get their gaming account suspension removed? (Not to mention the time involved in filing the case and taking it to court).

1 Like

for a $60 game? (20 chars)

Pretty sure that the “preponderance of evidence” would suggest that it was cheating, even if you couldn’t establish it to “beyond reasonable doubt”. It’s clearly a bug. When you do GRs, you’re not supposed to be able to take buffs into them from outside of them.

It doesn’t matter if it was a bug or not. If it was a bug, then it is “included” in what they consider a cheat, but that does not mean that everything that they consider cheating comes from bugs. In other words, they are guarding against someone saying “but it was a bug, so I get to do it”. They can find you in violation for a lot of things and if one of them happens to be a bug, then the fact that it was a “bug” doesn’t exclude it from being in the class of things that violate the agreement.

I feel that what was exploited here is a bug, perhaps you don’t - but our opinions don’t matter because that is not the be-all and end-all of what is a cheat. So go ahead and contest that premise all you want because it doesn’t prevent them from declaring what was done here a violation.

The defining phrase is “methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard”. Never did they say you could do what that player was doing. They don’t need to classify it as a bug, they don’t need to even describe how it violates their sense of fairness. He must prove that they specifically said he could do A, then B, then C and play the game. He won’t be able to do that here. And if he can’t, then it can be classified as a violation.

It’s a theoretical argument underscoring the point that he’s in the right here. We are talking legalities not economics. Your talking point is no valid argument regarding the actual topic.

You are wrong.

Yes it does.

But yours does?

They put it in the game.

It’s actually the other way around. There are rarely any cases of burden of proof reversal in any laws where the accused has to prove anything.

Let me tell you a story. A while back there was exploit that allowed players to acquire all passive skills through Hellfire Amulets. It was an obvious exploit, people abusing it got banned.

But by your logic because “Blizzard put it the game”, it should should have stayed in game and no one should’ve been banned. People used an unintended feature to gain unfair advantage but it’s OK since Blizzard put it in the game. You have a weird logic, buddy.

This case is no different. People used other players and other means to gain buffs from the outside and bring them in a solo GR to gain unfair advantage. Oversights are no excuse to abuse cheats and to get away from doing so.

4 Likes

The cheaters got busted exploiting the game and are now sniveling and whining lol! All the creative justification and forum rants wont change this. YA GOT BUSTED! You thought you could get one over on the Diablo Devs and it backfired (insert maniacal LOLS). Lick your wounds, get up and start another character or account and quit being a spoiled sport. You got caught! Deal with it!

1 Like

This lack of ability to differentiate is astonishing.
You did not get a word i said.
Just let me correct your own statement so maybe you’ll understand what i’m actually talking about.

Even the “unfair disadavantage to other users” would be hard to argue in a court of law, since obviously the mechanics we are talking about were opened up to the use of every player in the game.

Look ppl, all i’m saying is this:
Don’t punish ppl for developers shortcomings.
Delete all outcomes of “exploits” all you want, but do not penalize players for outsmarting the game without altering the substance and mechanics of the game in any way, shape or form.

Do you guys know about the Credit Warp Glitch in Super Mario World?
Take a look here.
Is this an external alteration of the games substance? No it’s not.
Is it still unintended by the developer? Hell yes, it is!
But ppl figuring out how to use and “exploit” it are not punished and penalized, they are rewared World Record Holder Titles.
Why? Bcs it’s a highly skilled way to play the game, requiring knowledge and ingenuity.

To me with the way of differentiating circumstances i was tought in law school, i’d say those gamers just have an indepth understanding of the game and i would not call that cheating at all.
And as a gamer i’d even say that Diablo would be a much more exciting game if every season had an “exploit” like that, tricky to figure out, challenging to execute and with a highly rewarding outcome.

Busted? Eggman put up a video titled “Eggsploit”! =D
He also hinted Blizzard to the fact that the Angelic Support of the 500 kill streak seasonal buff was one-shoting RGs on the PTR.
Maybe you might want the watch the opening scene of the movie “Sneakers” from 1992. May as well enjoy the whole movie too since it’s great.

This will be my last response on the topic since i said what i wanted to weigh in and i feel like every other reaction would be a repetition.

Thx for the somewhat educated discussion! ; )

1 Like

No.

The clause includes bugs, but is not restricted to bugs. Exploiting a bug is one way to cheat, but not the only way. Your assessment that this is not a bug does not mean that this still isn’t a cheat per that clause. Therefore it is not a relevant point to defend his actions.

No, and I didn’t say my assessment does. I said neither of our assessments as to whether or not this is a bug matters because cheating comes in many forms that are not related to bugs.

No.

If you are thinking of a lawsuit to get the suspension reversed, then Blizzard is the defendant/accused and does not need to prove anything. You and your potential client need to prove that Blizzard did not live up to the claims in the license. The cheating clause defines these types of violations as “methods not expressly authorized” and so in order to prove that Blizzard violated the agreement, then you as the accuser/plaintiff need to prove that Blizzard expressly authorized the style of game play that your client was using and streaming.

1 Like

You obviously have no background in jurisprudence.
Eggman can show the video proving he was just playing the game, stating he was only using the mechanics of the seasonal buff as is.
After that burden of proof would be resting upon Blizzard.

This will actually be my last response.
Already feeling guilty for my lack of consequence.
: )

I know many fine lawyers that would only make a statement like that if it was a ‘slam-dunk’, where there was no room for reasonable doubt. I even checked another scenario where even a moderator was incorrect and they would have lost, yet I saw no point in slamming it home because it is only a forum and only a game. I am not a lawyer but I have life-friends that are senior partners and I am in their age bracket.
Under different circumstances, a EULA or T.O.S, the agreement is everything. It is contestable for sure, but only in circumstances where it breaches human rights, privacy rights and other critical areas designed for the protection of all people.

If the person concerned claiming persecution had put it in writing BEFORE the enactment, thereby notifying the owners of their intent for demonstration of a BUG, and not openly flaunted it on public streaming; it might hold water.

Here is one of MANY regarding contract law related to terms of service. If you are training in a law firm, your firm’s partners and senior partners can give you the legal precedents and cases that would be directly pertinent. Predictions are best to avoid. if you are a paralegal you should have easy access to this information.
https://www.termsfeed.com/blog/governing-law-terms-conditions/

EDIT:
Ask any lawyer that is going to do any type of litigation in a court. In order to achieve the maximum effect, they never post their intent on a forum or a public site. They just do it and then let the media do the dirty work.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why groupies are buffed in the first place.

As a soloist, I feel discriminated against. I thought blizz was ‘inclusive’ and whateverthehell.

1 Like

I’m not asserting that I have a lot of legal background here, but I know that agreement was written by, or approved by, a whole team of lawyers either employed by or on retainer to a multi-billion dollar gaming corporation which has a vested interested in controlling the impact of cheaters on its various licensed games. I have far more faith in the crafting of that agreement than in the claims of someone on the web who describes themselves as “a student of the law” .

I didn’t write the agreement, but I’m trying to help you see where you are missing something about the agreement they created.

One thing that may be happening here is that many people in this thread are mischaracterizing what the player was doing. I keep seeing people saying that it was known that you can carry stacks into the GR after earning them outside the rift, but that wasn’t what the player was doing. Blizzard has asked us not to describe the exploit so I won’t explain further, but if you think that is what is being discussed here, then I think maybe you should do further reading on what happened.

Also, consider that their fix is specifically isolated to “you only get a stack if you are present in the world where the kill happens”. Nothing about that description of the fix would affect what people are saying the player did. But it will affect what he actually was doing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. Very informative. Pretty much says all we need to know.  

No problem. If you ever feel inclined to read the Microsoft O/S EULA, it makes the Blizzard one look very simple by comparison. Have a headache pill handy if you ever decide to do that. :slight_smile:

Why did you ban Eggman but didn’t clear asian leaderboards?

6 Likes