Unhallowed Essence Multishot ... Running GR70's... I'm squishy!

I’ve got the exact same setup as the Unhallowed Essence Multishot Demon Hunter at icy-veins. The three legendary gems are level sixty, I’m P702. I can solo a GR70 in 9 minutes or so. Everything is just about a one shot for me, and the guardian is never a problem.

My issue is that I am squishy. Two hits, or one from a succubi, and I’m dead.

What’s my issue?

Would swapping all the emeralds for diamonds decease my damage too much and make me that much safer? Is there something I don’t know?
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/gabisdaddi-1770/hero/121702446

To answer your direct question, yes diamonds in your gear will give you a lot of necessary toughness. You are dealing 0 damage laying on the floor so keeping alive will increase your DPS.

There are other issues with your gear/skill choices that might be beneficial to address. If you’d like, we can point them out for you.

3 Likes

Several thoughts to either increase toughness or damage (the more quickly you kill, the less incoming damage is taken). I am just using the gear you have but some have 2 suboptimal rolls. You can use the mystic to reroll a stat on gear.

As Varadia said, diamonds in chest/pants instead of green gems.

Yang’s recurve should have a socket and green gem (can add socket through Ram gift preferred or by rerolling at Mystic the LpH)
Deadman’s legacy: roll socket to either vitality for toughness or extra damage stat
Belt Roll hungering arrow damage to something else
Boots roll strafe damage to multishot damage
Gloves: roll all resist to critical hit damage
Shoulders: Armor to CDR or RCR
Nemesis Bracers: Lightning damage to the element of multishot that you are using
Helm: Cluster arrow damage to multishot damage or CHC
Rings: LpH to damage rolls (CHD/CHC)
Pants: Bola damage to something else
Chest: Companion Damage to vitality

You can look here for some ideas on optimal gear rolls:

2 Likes

Yes of course, diamonds instead of emeralds. And Visage of Gunes in the cube would help you for tankiness. And you need to reroll almost every piece of your gear (look again on the required stats for each item on the icy-veins website).

1 Like

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you don’t have it even close. It’s not just the pieces you need to pay attention to, but the stats/rolls on those pieces and the skills associated with them.

Examples - your crit/crit is woefully low, you don’t have the Prep/Invigoration skill (which provides Disc which is the main source of damage multiplier for UE), no MS damage on gear (instead you have Cluster Arrow on helm, Companion on chest, Hungering Arrow on belt, Bolas on pants, and strafe on boots - none of which do a dang thing for you).

But you’re in the right place for help tweaking to make that 70 a 90 cakewalk.

I won’t, trust me!

This is my first DH…That’s why I asked! :smiley:

I’m going to take the list that MicroRNA graciously gave, and other tips that were offered by others, and go down the line, one by one, and change things!

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!!!

2 Likes

When you come up with a list of specific questions, ask them here and we can help you get lined out. Strong DH’s make for an awesome community.

1 Like

Alrighty, so I’ve gone to the mystic and changed all the items in MicroRNA’s list except for the bracers. “Lightning damage to the element of multishot that you are using”. I have Multishot’s rune as Full Broadside, 500% weapon damage. So should then the bracers be changed to Physical skills?

Otherwise, so far…
I was
Damage 742k
Toughness 1.23m
Recovery 3.12m

Now I’m
Damage 1.07m
Toughness 127m
Recovery 18.2m

At your paragon level, you should be using Windchill or Arsenal, preferably arsenal, as your Multishot rune. Full Broadside is great for pushing high GR’s (120+), but the other two are more efficient at lower paragon.

You might want to try using Wraps of Clarity as your bracers. Wraps offer a lot of damage reduction that is needed by UE.

The elemental damage on your bracers should match your main damage source. For the UE Multishot build it is physical for Broadside, fire for Arsenal, and cold for Windchill.

You are currently using Ferret as your companion. Wolf or Boar would be of more help. Wolf for damage and Boar for toughness.

Fan of knives is a good choice for slows, but Preparation - Invigoration is a better choice for UE due to the discipline boost. More damage = more chance of killing them before they kill you :slight_smile:

I have the Wraps of Clarity, but I’ve been using Nemesis for the speed of the rifts. I switching to my Wraps so they can be seen.

Ferret was chosen for move speed. Up until recently I was doing GR 60 or less, leveling legendary gems, and GR60 was taking under three minutes. I think my record is 2:12.

1 Like

If the primary issue is dying, then the little bit of progress you get from having elites spawn from pylons is not worth the time spent dead. Very few UE DH’s run nemesis for this very reason even for speeds outside of T16 regular rifts. Wraps is almost always the way to go in GR’s.

Ferrets are not a good choice. Movement speed is capped at 25% from gear affixes. It’s much more efficient to max out that movement speed with paragon points (25% is the max).

Certain skills/passives can get you over the speed cap, such as Smoke Screen, Shadow Power, Tactical Advantage etc, however ferrets will not put you over that cap. So if you have 25% movement speed already from paragons, ferrets are worthless for you in GR’s. Wolf or boar would be far better choices.

1 Like

Some more pointers if you want, to what I see on your character right now.

• Roll discipline in place of % Chance to Blind on Yang’s bow, for more damage
  • Replace your steady Aim passive with Ballistics (rockets do more damage)
  • I would change Multishot rune to Arsenal (more rockets, more damage)
  • Cubing Obsidian Ring of Zodiac can get you even more cooldown reduction if you need that little bit more to stay Vengeanced constantly. Personally I would replace the elements ring with Obsidian Ring (again, if you need that extra cooldown to stay in Vengeance mode)
  • With your Wraps of Clarity, don’t forget to use your Evasive Fire attack once every 5 seconds

With Squirt’s Necklace keep in mind your defense weekens to a max of by 50% while you don’t take any hits. That’s the tradeoff for 100% increase in damage. This build gets you using Vault a lot to avoid projectiles. Succubus’ energy ball is relatively slow and can be avoided, although it is “heat seeking”. With this build, distance is your friend.

2 Likes

Following the advice of cyclOne, the bow was changed to discipline. Steady Aim was changed to Ballistics and MS rune to Arsenal, which works well since my Wraps already have a bonus to fire. In my cube is now Dawn, Obsidian, and RoRG.

1 Like

I have a rule I follow. 1. Resist, 2. Armor & 3. Damage. Like you said if you can’t stay alive you can’t kill!!! I see this all the time on DH’s people put those green gem in they set pieces all the time.

Thinking I’m going to get a lot damage from them. Yes you do get some damages, but really it is that much. Mostly around 175,000 that really isn’t going to help that much.

I’m getting to a point in the game I don’t say anything any more. When you try to help them. The first thing they usually say is I’m going by ivy-veins.

Yes it is a good place to help you get started. But please listen to the people that have played DH’s for years. Plus I have seen some really funny builds on DH’s this season.

Now I’m repeatedly doing GR80 solo in under four minutes.

I started at icy-veins, then I watched some youtube videos and went to their d3planner pages. All the while, I read here. Then I posted.

Now all I really need to do is my third conquest for this season and Guardian is complete. My second conquest was six sets at GR55. I’m not mastering the sets, so that leaves The Cursed Peat / 350 monsters at any Cursed Chest event; or 16 bosses in 20 minutes which is a pain. Finding the bosses in the mazes of streets/tunnels is the real challenge there!

Thanks to all of you for helping!

4 Likes

This is pretty trivial for a UE DH with the Cursed Peat chest (Paths of the Drowned; also spawns as a bounty). I’d recommend this one.

4 Likes

hi,
if you want to keep playing with squirt’s necklace i would strongly recommend using Molten Wildebeest’s Gizzard instead of Bane of the Powerful in order to keep up the buff of the necklace permanently. Bane of the Powerful is a weak gem for Multishot anyway.

you may check my profile for UE build help. make sure you have max discipline. some rerolls you did were not the best idea.
have fun and keep going. Patience is key. the ue build is not the strongest but it is very effective for grinding away time

A fellow Eddings fan! I read those books way back when they were originally published! There’s a huge fan base waiting for them to be turned into a movie…

I cannot see your profile. It says either it’s been inactive too long, or you’re in a different region.

So I’m guessing that the next step up is the Natalya Rapid Fire build? I’ll have to keep a list and start saving those pieces. I’ve never seen the Stone Gauntlets. In fact, for the DH cube, I have every power cubed except for eight, and those are one of them.

mitsos, I’m glad you pointed out that gem. I didn’t realize that powerful was in my ring and stricken was in my stash (their both yellow and 70 - I don’t have this stuff memorized).

1 Like

It only drops for strength classes (barbarian, crusader).

You can get Stone Gauntlets as an off-class (i.e. non-smart-loot drop), but that will be pretty uncommon.

If you really want them for your cube, you are best off making a barb or sader.