Ultrawide support

Did we really lose ultrawide support in a 2021 remaster because of 5-6 PVPers playing on crappy monitors?

This is absurd.

Even PoE supports 21:9 and it’s competitive scene is 10 times what D2 has.
Are we all going to be forced to use Xbox controllers because some people have mice that glide faster than others? is Overwatch going to be locked to 60Hz because not everyone can afford 144hz-240Hz monitors?

Let’s lock the color scheme to black and white because IPS presents the colors clearer than VA/TN making enemies easier to see!

I can’t believe 21:9 was locked to those vignette bars because of a few whiners. It’s insane to not have 21:9 support from a AAA game.

Please bring it back, this is ridiculous. This was promised to us pre-beta too.

12 Likes

Totally agree with you! I’m soo disappointed like never before. Game immersion is totally ruined by those black bars :frowning:

Please Blizzard… come on :confused:

4 Likes

4-5 PvPers :rofl:
TBH UW can be fixed with a lot of technical changes to stability, fairness and clickability. Being a developer myself, I know how much “that effort” is and I am pretty sure they are not going to spend that time unless there are millions of continuous playing users.

Until they fix that, they know the advantages UW monitors can have and will continue to have black bars. Keep crying. Noone is going to listen

Many of us are developers and aren’t impressed by armchair experts like you lol.

The UW “advantage” are minimal and are basically chalked up to the usual advantage PC players get by picking better hardware. Let’s penalize people on 3080 RTX because we have people on 780 GTX cards. Hardy har har. Handicapping an entire section of the player base because a few chump PVPers with hdin bots on welfare get mad is ridiculous.

Anti-UW movement is a complete joke created by a few angry d2jspers on Pentium 4 PCs.

PoE is a free-to-play game that started as an indie and got it done.

10 Likes

Well you may be a developer as well. The real developers who matter got feedback from Alpha testing and decided to remove the advantage. I dont think they will remove the black bars until they fix the advantage problem.

No clue how you definite the advantage as “minimal” One of the most important part of the game is PvP and running for level 99. Running for level 99 requires tens of thousands of baal runs and the min advantage you talk about could cost hours of teleports in the long run for not having an UW monitor.

This is definitely untrue. No one cares about the ladder leaderboards and PVP was also extremely minimal for the longest of times. Monitor advantage barely matters. You can still namelock someone off the screen. You will see him on the minimap before you visually see him on the monitor. No one PVP’d by actually clicking on the character lmao. Everyone aimed the missle spells at the enemy’s location on the minimap.

No clue how you definite the advantage as “minimal” One of the most important part of the game is PvP and running for level 99. Running for level 99 requires tens of thousands of baal runs and the min advantage you talk about could cost hours of teleports in the long run for not having an UW monitor.

I too like to pretend bots won’t fill up the game within 1-2 months making the “chase to higher levels” a “Who has been running the baal bot the longest”.

1 Like

UWFTW. Can’t argue with dense people. They can’t see past 16:9

1 Like

You can’t compare Diablo II pvp to any other ARPG pvp, PoE not even close.
And PoE being competitive? Let me laugh, it’s the most unbalanced pvp i’ve ever seen.

Pvp is the reason why Diablo II is still alive 20 years later. Pvp is the end game purpose of the game.

There is still, 20 years later, thousands of pvpers, very strong and solid community. PvP is played everywhere : Europe, USA East/west and a lot in Asia (Korea especialy).

Also you can’t compare D2 Pvp to any others game (especialy FPS) since mecanics are unique and basicly all your moves and targetting depends of your screen size. That being said the problem is kinda obvious with Ultra Wide screen.

Blizzard/VV will find a way to support it so everyone can enjoy the game. The Black bars is probably a tempory fix.

If you want more informations :

Ultra Wide screens give you a wider view, it’s clean and beautiful. You see now the whole game at a very high view. Like everything, monsters, all environnements, players, wps, maps, items dropped… everything.

However, Diablo II mecanics are 20 years old, whole game was not made to be played with such view.

David Brevik (Original Diablo II creator) said it himself :

« I can say from a technical standpoint that it’s going to be extremely difficult. That you will not be able to capture it exactly the way it was »
« The number one reason is because of the shape of the screen. Because the screens back then were 800x600 and largely square, and now they’re not, they’re 16:9 and 16:10, we did a lot of tricks. »

« A lot of the ways the AI and stuff activates is from off-screen. So it’s just off-screen then it starts getting activated and doing stuff. If they were going to keep the same radius of awareness, you would get a whole bunch of things on the edge of the screen getting ready to do something. »

« But if you don’t keep the same radius, then everything’s kind of coming from different angles and at different speeds and doing different things than you’re used to. »

« Not only that but a lot of modern games use a giant grid to do pathing and things like that, and part of the reason that Diablo plays the way it does is because of the grid that’s underneath. And so you’d have to mimic that kind of movement and grid that’s underneath Diablo II in order for it to have that same kind of feel. »

"I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, but there are huge technical challenges. »

So here we are.

I. As casual player in Single Player Offline/ PvM :

1. You can see everything (monsters, players, items etc.) from like 3-4 screens (or more if unlimited),
  2. You can literaly skip whole game in few teleports ; avoid risky situation because you are so far from monster AI or others game mecanics
  3. You can stand still at a point and aim monsters, kill them without they even notice (Blizzard, Meteor, Foh or what ever ranged casted skill)

In Single Player Offline, it’s « acceptable ». I mean if you prefer to enjoy the beauty of the game instead of the game mecanics, why not it’s up to you.
In my opinion, it will still get boring very fast. Diablo II is not an easy game and thats why we love it.
Ultra Wide could maybe have no restriction in Single Player Offline, even if it kills the challenge and the adventure itself.

II. In Multiplayer (PvM – Player vs Monsters) :

But in multiplayer, it’s an other story.
It can introduce a severe imbalance between players.
And without limit, people will abuse it such as : https://i.imgur.com/W0Pfl6G.mp4

1. Same as above but now you can do things that others players can’t : see everything
  2. Skip whole game if needed (Game breaking competitive Ladder ranking)
  3. Avoid risky situation/monsters IA and killing them with ease
  4. You could see items droping while other players can’t

Basicly, you go easy mode while most of the players will struggle. And somehow it kills the purpose of the game.

III. And finaly, the worst problem by far is in PvP :

At first, PvP in Diablo II is so underrated and it’s too bad because it’s probably one of the most fast paced and skilled pvp i’ve ever seen at high skill level.

The community is very very active since 20 years.

For most players, building a pvp character is the End game goal.
And being competitive in pvp is probably the reason why Diablo II is still alive today and played by thousand of pvpers.

That being said, Ultra Wide/Unlimited screen is absolutly game breaking in competitive PvP because the imbalance between players is absurd :

1. You can target your opponent because he is on your screen while he can’t see you
  2. You can reach your opponent in 2 teleports when he needs 5-6
  3. You can go away from a risky situation and nobody will be able to follow you if they don’t have the same screen range.
  4. You can avoid hits easily from every multiples traveling skills such as teeth (nec), multishot (bowa etc.).
    And more.

yawn Boomer D2 Player that doesn’t understand game mechanics but wants the game to “not change” so he can keep glitching in PVP fights.

So sad.

2 Likes

At the least, they should remove the vignette when in a single-player game. Ideally, in multi-player as well and just add it as an overlay when you toggle on hostility with a player.

2 Likes

there’s a good reason for the limitation–21:9 breaks the game. Specifically, playing at an ultrawide aspect ratio makes it so that players can attack from further ranges than the game was designed for. Enemies targeted from the extended range ultrawide monitors provide simply fail to recognize they are being attacked, and as a result don’t react.

This is probably a deal breaker for me as well alongside the assassin trap bug. It’s sad to see this in a remaster where the goal is to elevate the already solid gameplay foundation with improved artwork, better graphics, quality of life features, and bug fixes that were obviously not intended.

I played the game for many years and while PvP was a fun sideshow it wasn’t big enough or important enough to me and probably many others that we need to intentionally disable support for hardware. My favorite part of the game was finding good loot, to make fun builds, and helping other to progress through the game.

I love my ultrawide, but I rarely play PvP nor do I seek an advantage. I just want to enjoy the games core PvE experience without hardware limitations.

1 Like

I agree; it’s very sad to see such a small segment of Diablo 2 players that care about pvp(probably less then 1%) essentially being the loudest and the most obnoxious on the forum.

That aside I have a super ultra wide monitor 51 inches and I hope blizzard comes up with a better solution the solid black bars.

1 Like

The real end game of diablo II is the pvp so it’s definitly not 1%.