UE MS build - about the guardian

Due to incessant badgering me to abandon my shadow build for UE MS speed farming, I’ve decided to give it a try, mostly because I had three primals and I wanted to put them to use. I’m sure it’s due to inexperience at the build, but so far, I don’t think it’s any faster for me than my modified impale build, but I’ll work on that.

One problem that I have is that once the gold stops dropping, I become very glassy. This is especially bad in a level with lots of interconnected rooms like the Barracks. It might take some time to open doors and find trash mobs, and my gold-generated armor drops off. It also makes guardians tough. Some guardians are easier than others, but I find that I’m really jumping around like crazy trying to stay alive. Is that to be expected? Or do I just suck?

Checked your profile, but didn’t see any DHs in UE/MS setup so couldn’t see what equipment you’re using. Have you incorporated two pieces of the Captain Crimson set? That gives you damage mitigation based on Resource Cost Reduction and you’ll already have a lot of that due it being inbuilt into your Yang’s Recurve. Also, do you have the Wraps of Clarity bracers, and are you keeping up the mitigation from using a hated generator? (You should be, as you should be using generator and spender to maintain the damage buff from Focus + Restraint).

Failing which, are you standing in fires? :wink:

When running the Boon of the Hoarder/Gold Wrap farming build, it’s a good idea for your other ring, the one that isn’t Avarice Band to be the Elusive Ring. This can mitigate those times when there’s no gold to pick up and will improve your defense for boss fights.

In this case, Elusive replaces Gunes, giving you back the defense your missing because gold isn’t dropping or your gold counter runs out.

I imagine that’s the issue you’re having and this is my work around that I use when gold farming.

Edit:

Just to clarify, when farming, you can drop Focus and Restraint to wear Elusive and Avarice Band, putting Gold Wrap in the cube. You should see very little difference in your kill speed because UE alone (edit #2: with Captain Crimsons) is capable of T16 and at a certain point the bonus from Focus and Restraint are just overkill.

Not sure how Blizzard caches stuff. When I look at this, I see my UE build:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/kayakpat-1707/hero/119390681

No, the builds I saw didn’t have them.

Yes on the bracers, no on the hatred generators. Maybe that’s my problem. I’m only using the hatred generator when I’m low on hatred.

Of course. But only when there are arcane light beams cooling me down.

Looking at your build…

Craft a Captain Crimson’s set. You can do either belt and boots or belt and pants. Put a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the cube. Transfer your Goldwrap to the cube. And you can keep Focus and Restraint if you want to, but as I said in my previous post, wearing an Elusive Ring and Avarice Band, I think will help you more in the long run.

Then as Meteorblade said, fire your generator before engaging any horde of monsters and it should be enough to solve your problems.

Added benefit…

Captain Crimson’s makes Cindercoat unnecessary.

Edit: And Congrats on those shoulders, many a player would kill to have those.

Edit #2: You’re missing a lot of Vitality due to your gloves and bracers, but good news is, there’s a build that those items are well suited for.

Because Gizzard’s Shield Toughness isn’t effected by Vitality but is by stats like All Resist, you could, and this is only if you want to, try the build outlined in this thread…

A quick guide for optimizing Squirts with Gizzard gem/Fortress Ballista

It’s a pushing build that you could take into Greater Rifts, it’s not quite as strong as Impale though it can get pretty close and at the very least makes leveling up gems for augments pretty quick and easy.

Thanks, Idolis. I rerolled the stats based on Rhykker’s suggestions. I’ll make a set of Captain Crimsons. But first, I’m going to just try popping the hatred generators to see what kind of improvement that offers.

Another 50% damage mitigation, with the added bonus that if you hadn’t been interleaving generators and spenders, you’ll see a large damage bonus due to getting both buffs from Focus + Restraint.

What I should probably do is watch a couple of these videos again. What skill is popped when and why was almost certainly discussed, but I was too focused on getting the right gear and rerolling the right stats.

1 Like

Good idea, but keep in mind, some youtube videos are pretty old and were made long before some current changes to the game, like the addition of Crimson’s. It’s almost certain, that if the video is current, any build they discuss concerning UE will include Captain Crimson’s in it.

1 Like

I just did a couple of Nrifts. (Don’t tell my wife. She thinks I’m preparing the garden for tomatoes.) I definitely saw more improvement against elites and guardians. I also got a couple of levels with the Briarthorn Cemetery layout, which is probably my favorite nrift level.

1 Like

You dont really need any captain crimsons for rifts to be fair.
Not sure if i can link a D3 planner in here https://www.d3planner.com/169199252

Lets see if it works, otherwise go to my profile, Europe and check out my DH for this season, thats what im blasting through torment 16 plus gets loads of DB’s.

It can litterally tank everything and you dont have a problem with gold as youre wearing both avarice band, boon of the hoarder and goldwrap.

One thing tho, the rechel’s ring can be changed to basically whatever, as the fear is not happening that often cause youre not getting close to the mobs.

Regarding this I highly recommend crafting boots/belt, OP.

Reason being, CC pants aren’t even garuanteed to roll your main stat, and seem to rarely roll with 2 sockets.

I tend to have better luck getting decent boots.

I’d like to start incorporating Captain Crimsons into my build, but I’m trying to see how it’s going to improve things. I currently have Focus/Restraint, and Avarice cubed. If I’m going to wear CC, I’m going to have to cube Dawn and Goldwrap, and then I’m still going to need both Avarice and RoRG, right? This means I’m going to have to lose Focus/Restraint.

When I’m playing this build, I’m going through trash pretty quickly, but elites still take some time, especially yellows. These can take ten seconds to bring down, standing next to them constantly spraying multishot, and throwing in an evasive fire every 3 seconds or so. I have to think that dropping Focus/Restraint with that 50% damage buff isn’t going to help things. CC gives me damage increase equal to my CDR, which is 46.66% WITH the CC bonus.

So this is my question about Focus/Restraint that would decide this for me. The stats are:
+50% damage for 5 seconds after a resource generating attack
+50% damage for 5 seconds after a resource spending attack
First of all, do these buffs stack? If I spend and then immediately generate, do I get both buffs for almost 5 seconds? Also, if I use a resource generating attack (evasive fire), does that +50 damage apply to my multishot attacks, or just evasive fire?

You honestly don’t need CC for anything but a GR build once you have decent UE gear in general.

I don’t use CC for T16 farming - I use straight UE with gold secondaries where i have them, F&R, Goldwrap, Avarice in the cube along with Dawn and Broken Crown for double gems. Leg gems BotT, Hoarder, Zei’s (so you don’t want to stand next to elites to maximize that bonus).

For F&R - you only need to use evasive fire every 5 seconds or so (or to quickly refill hatred) and then spam MS and you get a 225% multiplier (1.5x*1.5x) that applies to all damage (but EF is minimal damage so every time you fire it, you lose damage by not firing MS). The buffs will show above the skill bar - when you see both rings, you are enjoying the full buff.

Well, I’m getting different things from different people. To be honest, I don’t know that I really need UE for speed farming, in spite of what everyone says. I tried using it (with a couple different configurations) to do a 4 min Nrift (to get Guardian) and never came close. I used my modified impale build and got it on the second try. Of course, my impale build includes a lot of Caldesann’s-enhanced items, but leveling up gems to do the same with my UE gear is going to require a shirt-ton of grinding, and I don’t know that I have it in me.

Then don’t use UE?

T16 should be a breeze for UE, you dont need augments. I run with crimson + gizzard + squirts and it is not squishy at all without goldwrap. Sure you can get wasted by molten blasts, but dont stand in them. I feel like you just need to get more experience at the game and not really complain about people trying to help you, especially considering you rerolled damage range on a primal Karleis instead of dex to 10% damage (or lpk as secondary).