🐉 Typhon's Veil Focused Feedback

DMO + Bubble + TP-Safe Passage + Crimson + Karini + OoID = 3,172,269,312 toughness

https://i.imgur.com/9KRjVcb.jpg

If you load the build into d3planner the damage reduction is 93-98%.

T-16 Typhons-6 is a tad squishy even with Karini triggered with 2x frost hydras active.

Hey Cratic! I played all evening watching closely and I literally JUST SAW it happen. Both Dominance and Storm Armor were up and I had literally just killed a trash mob when BOOM! they both instantly dropped and I was one shot by some low level minion. That should NOT happen with Unity on me and an Undead Follower. Dominance should have just refreshed and with Unity and Squirts both up…not to mention all of the other mitigation I had running. Makes no sense. But I saw it all just drop and then got one shot by trash. Has to be a bug.

A tad??? Something is seriously broken in damage mitigation.

Here is the planner for the zDPS Wiz setup I used in S-18.
https://www.d3planner.com/319297146

One can see the toughness and damage reduction values.

@Arcanum:
I was thinking that there is a bug with the 4p bonus not applying. What you described might be a separate but connected bug.

“@Arcanum: I was thinking that there is a bug with the 4p bonus not applying. What you described might be a separate but connected bug.”

From 7 pm to around 9:30 pm I was playing a Hydra build with mitigation just PILED on deep. Not pushing GRs mind you. Regular rifts…T16. I’d be pouring it on and my hydras would be trashing stuff. Then suddenly BOOM! One shot by something stupid like a corpse worm or a spiderling or the like.

So I thought, I know how to test this. So I copied my old faithful Tals Channeling/Meteor build onto the PTR and started running rifts again. I finally quit after 7 straight T16 rifts without a single death. Not even one. Very similar mitigation to what I’m running on the Hydra Wiz…except the Hydra Wiz has even MORE mitigation what with the Squirts bonus and the Hydra bonus.

So, a build with less mitigation is able to trash T16 content without breaking a sweat. But a more powerful build hitting in the billions with even more mitigation is getting killed right and left?

Conclusion? Something is broken with the new set!

@Arcanum:
I agree. I think the 4p damage reduction bonus may be the part of the problem in that it is not being applied.

At this point the 4 piece damage reduction should probably be changed to either:

• Damage taken is reduced by 40% for each active hydra.
  • Summoning a Hydra reduces damage taken by 80% for 5-8 seconds.

Sure it’s simple and boring; but the hydra head mechanic doesn’t seem to be working properly with shields; and ptr will be ending soon, that is unless they extend it.

Good eye. Definitely the shielding as noted previously, and now listed in the OP bug section.

Makes any Typhon’s Veil clear difficult to guage as it is not easy to use Squirts Necklace yet with that build, and that’s a significant multiplier that should be easy to fit in. Could go endless walk, but that consumes an additional slot.

Probably means a nice ~+2-3 GRs over FoT or endless walk with current solo push clears.

5 to 8 seconds is too short. The minimum should be 10 to 15 seconds, with 10 seconds being on par with Helltooth and 15 being on par with DMO Bubble.

1 Like

Did you check/test/add the 4p bonus not applying to the list? In a post above I showed Venaliter’s error in regard to toughness/DR. Even without the level of DR stacking displayed in the pic of my zDPS Wiz, just having 2x 80% DR buffs should be over 2 billion toughness. There is a thread in Wiz forums (new forums) about an Explosive Blast build having over 2 billion toughness (Karini + OoID). See here:

Probably; the suggested times were merely placeholders. That said, not many sets give dr bonuses that last over 10 seconds (especially those with requirements that are easy to fufill), hence the 5-8 seconds.

new wd set has 30 sec dr after spirit walk …

Which is why I said “Not many sets”.

Also spirit walk isn’t a spammable skill as it has a cooldown that doesn’t activate till said skill effect ends.

it has 10 sec cooldown you need to have negative cdr factor to not call this skill spamable with 50% cdr it is casted each 5 sec

Unless you can completely get rid of its cooldown, it’s not spammable (at least not in my opinion). Hydras on the other hand can be summoned at any time with no cooldown being placed on the skill; hence I would consider it spammable.

Damaged taken is reduced by 40% per each active hydra 4 pieces bonus is actually a pretty simple yet effective solution. I agree.

Simple and effective is more specialty! Which is why I basically hate every set Wizard set Don Vu made. NONE of them were simple. Always so needlessly complicated. I hold him responsible for a large part of the Wizard’s deeply flawed sets and itemization…

For the defensive bonus on the set, I completly agree. For the offense bonusses I don’t care if it’s complicated if the mechanic is rewarding.
Right now, only vyr/chantodo gives a different playstyle. Everything else is stand still and channel.

K now that we know it’s mitigation bug with shielding issues, let’s talk the damagaaa guys. We really should not be happy with it’s pultry damage of 12000% with 10 heads, especially since it’s supporting items took a 33% nerf so 6 pc still nerfed damage when it was the worst damage output of all the new sets!

Really should be raising more of a fuss about it’s damage now. My 1500% suggestion is too tame after seeing planner side by side plus real world side by side with LoN Mammoth.

This needs to be a 2000% per head, 20000% 6pc period. And that might still put it a few GR’s behind LoD Mammoth Non season and especially with seasonal theme.

If they don’t seriously buff the damage, not this tame 200% crap then this set will simply exist to practice and farm for LoD.

1 Like

I think it’s still hard to guage if 1200% isnt enough due to the defensive bugs that have plagued the set the entirety of the PTR. However:

I happen to agree in feeling that the overall decrease of about 2GRs to the set feels a little pre-emptive. As a player it feels wrong to decrease set clear potential by 2GRs when we haven’t even properly tested.

Balancing the set multiplier with the decreases to Serpent Sparker and Magistrate would have required a 6 piece of 1650% per head.

Perhaps the team has a data point from which they are basing this decision to keep it lower. Would be great if we could see the reasoning and justification for this decision.

3 Likes