🐉 Typhon's Veil Focused Feedback

Updated test: 2 players TV frost Hydras (full uptime squirt necklace charges) grift 130 On the first try over a battlefield without pylons. Again, I think that Typhon Veil need a little more love from devs.

The question that should be asked is how TV compare against Crus/barb power level, not LOD mammoth. If a crus/barb with the new set can walk all over TV with their eyes closed and speed farm GR at the level where TV and LOD mammoth are struggling to even finish, then this whole new set is a big failure, which at the current level it is. A level 7000 paragon with optimal gear barb/crus can do much much higher than 128.

In fact, TV should be tuned to do GR 140+ at the very least and LoN mammoth should be doing 1-2 GR higher due to the difficulty to get the optimal gears.

@Cratic and all posters, good job all.
I haven’t been able to log on after the PTR patch so haven’t been able to test any further. Seems like some new issues have appeared. Hope the devs are able to fix them.
Now to some of the op’s suggestions, I have been thinking on them and the one I really like is the mirror image one.
It would be nice if the set allowed them to stay by you as long as you live. Like the ancients in IK set.
All runes would be nice.
Casting your generators when you do and increase the generator damage by x.
Some fellow poster suggested that magic missile should be involved were it regenerated the hydras. Nice idea, not sure if that would make it overpowered though. Also I would stress that any changes giving a benefit to the generators should be open to all of them.
Well met in season 20 :wink:

I tried to test both builds (TV and LoD) and they are so boring. After playing 2-3 GRs with LoD I can say without a doubt that I’m not gonna play this set on season 20. I will play some LoD on NS because I have almost all the items but that’s all.

So next season we have:

• vyrs nerfed so no speeds for us (while other classes outperform wiz by far hahahaha)
  • Bazooka’s nerfed so no meta. But I don’t really care, bazooka was not for normal players. But blizz give us a new WD set that can play speed 150s without macros or 24/7 practice. Great.
  • New set but same old channeling playstyle.

This patch should had be nothing for wizards or a readjusting of the class. We didn’t need a new set when we already have 3 almost unused sets.

Sorry for the rant.

Great job! Did you happen to notice any one shot issues compared to last patch? I’ll take a look at your NS clear gear/stats.

Just seems weird was practically immortal even when hydras died fast last patch, now having all kinds of issues this patch. One shot in GR 80-100’s when before fine in GR110’s.

On another thread of the PTR bug report section, another user posted a video that proves that something is wrong with TV 4pc DR : New Typhon Set: bonus 4 does not Work with Shields TEST inside - #6 by JJDonosti-2673

Since it seemed OK in the test you did, I would like more about the test you did in order to having a chance to point out what is the root cause of the issue by analyzing differences between your test and JJDonosti test

My current theory would be that the issue is in the interaction between TV DR and shield but you didn’t experienced it since there was no shield involved in your test (but I’m just speculating, I don’t know anything of how you did your test)

Thank you for all you are doing for the wizard community :slight_smile:

1 Like

We did consider adding another skill into The Typhon’s Veil, but we believe there’s more work to do first on Wizard Legendary options to make choices outside of the Etched Sigil/Deathwish/Mantle of Channeling combo more appealing. We’re looking at this now as a longer term goal, as we have plans to do much larger overall balance passes in the future after all the new class sets have been added to the game.

This killed my interest in this set and with that the Wizard again, I hoped we would finally get an interesting wizard build and not adding an extra skill is not an issue for me, but we get channeling 41.0.
Channeling version will do about 10x more damage then non-channeling.

Well luckily Wolcen is out, still rough around the edges, but caster feels like caster there.

1 Like

You guys a right. And I now know why people get one shot. No 4pc DR is applied with shields up. F.e. You have 1.000.000 life and 600.000 K shields + you get DR back through attacking. The attack Does 800.000 damage. -> 800.000 Life you get hit by the same attack but now it only deals 160.000 damage (cause of 4pc TV is now applied). -> 640.000 Life now you regenerated 3% of max life shields. -> 640.000 Life + 30.000 Shields now you get hit again by the same attack and taking 800.000 k in damage cause 4pc TV is not applied because you have shields. -> Insta dead. Without shield regeneration you would have survived.

Think a good change to TV would be to have the two piece bonus be;

hydras now fire arcane orb.

Let the hydra damage befit from all existing items and the hydra would fire the corresponding arcane orb to their element

Yep makes total sense, that’s why damage tests were coming back normal because they weren’t using shields and why we were like wtf clearly bugged because we were to protect the hydras from falling since that bug was fixed lol.

Around and around we go, to where we land…we already know Buff 6pc to 1500% and fix shield bug k thx Blizz :heart:

So tested without shields, didn’t get one shot at any point in a 101 solo, got back on the seasonal board with 834 para, lvl 30 gems, no auggies and like 8k main stat so not bad at all.

Still a bad representation because dropping Ashnaggars, Galvanizing and especially Deflection is clearly not anywhere near optimal over 200% toughness drop, plus hydra heads dropping, so damage as well, but at least it’s something.

1 Like

One nice QoL change would be if always the hydra with less heads is resummoned. Or that the first cast Hydra looses his heads first. But overall I like the set. But I could also be under a wrong impression. Without shields I can face tank almost everything in gr 102. But loosing so much damage cause you need to recast Hydra so often.

I mean honestly this is how it should be considering how much more DR LoD Mammoths can squeeze in.

Yah it basically goes back to the problem with the first iteration, without shields hydras die pretty much straight away. The only difference is they’ll go from 10 to 9 instead of 10 to like 4 instantly lol.

Wondering if that summoning thing was intentional or not, because if you think about it it would be pretty easy to have perma 10 if the first one cast resummoned the hydra head that had died, coupled with the 2 second ICD it would be pretty boring and no risk at all. Unless you were sleeping you’d only ever have the least 9 hydras, at least with it needing to be cast twice you have that risk of having less.

The thing is even if you have only 1 point of shield and taking damage to your life you won’t lose a Hydra head. You’re only losing Hydra heads if you don’t have any shields at all. But they twisted mythology with this set. Isn’t it normaly then a Hydra loose one head two grow back?

After some extensive testing, I found that this set mechanics of hydra heads dieing on hit is too troublesome and it is holding down the potential of the set.

Suggest change: replace the hydra heads dieing mechanics based on hit and let it expires after x amount of times just like necro singularity mages. Also, change the DR of the 4 pieces to something like damage taken is reduced by 10% per hydra head active, Max 80%. All problems solved.

I did not test with shielding earlier. Didn’t even think about it. Yikes. Definitely explains everything. Great job everyone tracking that down!

1 Like

Ok I’ll need to level another Taeguk to test without shields. I used it for a witch doctor augment lol whoops.

1 Like

I’ve suggested before that we need a mechanic to recover lost heads without stopping the attack.
2 or 4-Piece Bonus:: Dealing dmg restores a head if it’s missing.

As it’s right now nobody is gonna play the set, LoD is more straight forward and simple. TV heads mechanic is just stupid and not very innovative and shielding hydras (without the existing bug) it should negate the mechanic turning it into something like its LoD version.

The set is not even live and it needs a rework now lol I love the idea of mammoth hydra for LoD and the rest for TV but that’s the only good idea on all this mess.

Recent Veil NERF is too much. Granted ‘a nerf was needed’ as I could run a GR107 without legendary gems to 25, or augments, etc. But NOW, with several primals AND Rimeheart in the cube (everything is freezing during play) I can’t kill the first Champion in a GR108. The set just needs buffed a bit more to be desirable/viable. Otherwise, with yet another class Legacy of Dreams build topping the leaderboards, why even have the new set?

1 Like

Revised the OP to indicate:

Issue: Taking damage with shields causes damage taken value to be calculated without 4 piece included. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/12884/14

Sad day! I definitely feel the pain on PTR. Though gem leveling is less of an issue, I find more of an issue with normal gems (rerolling items consumes these like mad). And yes, while we can do puzzle ring runs, it’s just a pain…

1 Like

If doing NS, use the “PTR COPY” feature at the main screen of the PTR to re-import your live profile, maybe ?
With the Djank vendor being improved (see "bags of fortune offering mats, now), may be faster than leveling a new Taeguk … :wink: