TOP 5 Things you dislike the most about Diablo2

They could increase the chance of getting uniques from gambling, which would incentivice players to spend their gold on that and thereby reduce the incentive to buy mana potions, which means they may gonna go for a minor skill that generates mana.

To the rest of what you wrote I either agree or have not much to say about.

1 Like

D2 dislikes

1. No shared nor big enough stash
  2. No auto pick up.
  3. Character deletion after a while not using them.
  4. People getting hostile, glad D3 doesnā€™t have pvp!
  5. The stupid chat spamming.

I like:

1. Game is actually hard / challenging until end game. Leveling has a point.
  2. Itā€™s darkness
  3. Itā€™s blood and gore
  4. You have to search for certain dungeons
  5. Waypoints are activated only when you found them.
5 Likes
  1. Trading (being necessary because of really low drop-rates and spammers/botters/hackers destroyed battlenet with it)

2. Inventory/Stash and Charms (wayyyy too small inventory/stash and charms made it worse!)

3. No Personal loot system (back in the dayā€¦the faster u were the more loot u got in parties,everyone was downloading auto-loot bots)

4. Piano Potion spamming (i never liked that system,i prefer d3ā€™s one)

5. Stamina Barā€¦ (unnecessary/annoying mechanic)

bonus Character deletion if you haveā€™t played for a whileā€¦(wtf was that for?)

2 Likes

Fanboys that want a D2 remaster and never heard of PoD

Stamina, very limited stash space, the need to carry town portal scrolls and manually picking up gold. Oh and of course a nest of cheaters and hackers. I donā€™t mind the old outdated graphics even now. Maybe I need a few moments for my eyes to get used to them. I like going back to D2 every now and then. Also I cannot say that I miss boss runs. I much prefer D3 farming patterns with rifts. Finally the immunities which made many builds irrelevant at hell difficulty.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the reason for your corpse exploding, sending all your gear/loot flying everywhere that makes other players steal it.

I played D2 long time ago, so forgive me if Iā€™m mistaken, but the pattern I noticed then was, if you get overflow of inventory when you die, the game will explode your previous corpse to make room. Most of the time players run with almost full inventory. So only time when you get overflow of inventory is when you equip your backup gear then die again. Game will try to put those back up gear in your corpseā€™s inventory, unable to do so because of lack of space, creates a new corpse (one having your back up gear, inventory items), and this will make your previous corpse disappears/explode (which makes any items that corpse was holding to fly everywhere).

To free up server memory as character creation slots is not limited as D3. You have offline characters staying anyway.

That someone still bothers / cares to post about this subject, is the cutest thing iā€™ve read all year.

Well, you cared enough to post about it.

1 Like
  1. Monster immunities OR the lack of ways to deal with it.
  2. synergies and prerequisites
  3. potion spamming and life/mana leeching
  4. gems and runes not stacking, arrows not stacking high enough.
  5. mercenaries being revivable! Iā€™d redesign it in such a way that you have like 20 or 30 good mercenaries with different abilities. Once they die they are gone forever.
  6. no skill bar
  7. stamina
  8. elemental damage not getting modifier by skill damage and enhanced weapon damage.
  9. not enough skills for free like barbarian double swing
  10. treasure class system and really the whole brutal RNG - I think a level 60 item shouldnā€™t be rolling the lowest tier affixes like 1 strength.
  11. attribute system kinda bad.
1 Like

Regarding Potions and Stamina:

I very much would enjoy a middle ground between Diablo 2ā€™s and Diablo 3ā€™s Potion System:

• one button for the Health Potions
  • Health Potions have 3 Charges and each Charge has a refresh time of ~12-16 seconds
  • each Health Potion gives you ~20% Health immediately and ~30-40% over the next 3-4 seconds, for a total of 50-60% max Life healed

That is the perfect middle ground imo.

=============================================

For Stamina, in D4 there could be something like a short term Sprinting or Sidestep Ability for all classes or it could get used for a Class Specific Evasion Ability like:

• Tackle (Barbarian)
  • Shield Block (Paladin/Knight/Crusader)
  • Sidestep (DEX Melee Class like Assassin or Monk)
  • Blink (short-ranged Teleport for Sorceress)
  • Ghost/Spirit Form (Necromancer)
  • Raven Form (Druid)
  • Sprint (some DEX Ranged Class like Ranger, Amazon or DH)

If they require the Sidestep to consume Stamina, then it does not even need a ā€œDelay/Recovery Frameā€ as it currently has in D4.

=============================================

I made a Concept Art / Mockup of how a Potion System with 3 Charges, a Stamina Bar and 7 Skills could look like in D3:
https://i.imgur.com/pxIkTPn.jpg

Not in any order particular order.

1, Monster immunities
2, Lack of respecs, and no, the one respec per difficulty after the game was out for 10 years doesnā€™t count.
3, Itemization and drop rates. Yes we all know drop rates were bad to encourage trade, but it didnā€™t help when you got something you liked but it had stats you had no use for. People have been showing Mrllama videos like mad so I watched a few and more often than not did he just sit there amazed at how bad the rolls were on these items he was getting. People act like that crap only happened in D3.
4, Prerequisites combined with the attribute system, since the attribute system had prerequisites for being good.
5, Potion/ portal cheese. I mean, it allowed me to cheese my way through Hell difficulty. Which just proves how D2 wasnā€™t very difficult nor challenging. I mean it can be, but for someone who didnā€™t know about MF break points, how synergies worked, and until LoD though you could only use 2 skill because of the UI, I was able to beat the game by popping a town portal, throwing myself at a boss, spamming potions until out, hopped in the portal, bought more, went back and repeated until the boss died. So glad D3 made you start attempts over if you died. No more potion/portal cheese.

1 Like

i would be playing d2 right now but for the fact that muling as a solo player with one client sucks. i wish there was an inventory system like d3 so i donā€™t lose items and or get a lovely realm down ban for a week or two when i attempt to log into a private games while trying to solo muleā€¦that may or may not be there when i get back in. inventory management is so annoying in d2.

another annoying thing isā€¦i wish d2 could be ported over to the current bnet client. i would pay for that in a heart beat.

lastly, i wish d2 has better drop rates, i have played at least 8k hours and not once have i found a high rune like zod. the drop rates are so hideously low itā€™s no wonder bots took it over. so lame.

1 Like

his videos werent really about RNG for good rolls
but more like the fact that everything below green isnt an insta sell in D2

1 Like

I know that. Iā€™m just saying, many complain in D3 when they get something they finally need it rolls with bad stats as if that ever happened in D2 when it happened all the time as well.

well
llama is not complaining about that
neither do the people who share his videos

Didnā€™t say he did. I he sat in amazement as drop after drop rolled bad stats.

Whatā€™s ruined Diablo 2: D2JSP. The rest are fine in my taste for a 20 years old game.
It was at the time a nice game (still is) and got some good memories. But for my instance if the next one got some trade as D2, with D2JSP involved ? No thx.

It counts, you can get that artifact over and over again as much as you like to repeat the process.

3 Likes

Itā€™s one of the things I really like about it. It forces you to build outside of a one skill death robot that does nothing but indiscriminately kill everything on the screen in the exact same way.

I think everyone agrees that the inventory and stash size are very lacking. However when Diablo 2 came out (20 years ago!) the only other game like it was Diablo 1 and it didnā€™t have any stash at all. So while it was not enough it was still a major improvement over its predecessor.

2 Likes