Tooltip oversight with Altar item level buff

I edited my old post about this but it wont let me do anything to “bump” it until someone else has replied to it, so heres an update.

The seasonal altar buff that removes level requirement has made it so you can’t identify item levels by mouseover anymore, this is an issue mostly for follower gearing, since once we have the buff we can just equip w/e. BUT… it does seem to mess with the “highest useable” filter at the blacksmith (results still only match your characters current level) which means you need to set the filter to “all” to find specific recipes. I was thinking that in HC mode if you had a bank full of replacement gear piling up for your follower if you die, it will be an annoying trial and error process to equip them because you’ll have to try each individual item to see if they are high enough or not… so anyway, at least for crafted stuff I’ve compiled a list of the levels of everything at the blacksmith.
I gave up trying to find a spreadsheet that already existed, so here it is :

first : ALL FOLLOWER items are the same 18, 23, 27, 32, 40, 45, 50, 55, 59, 65, 70 (notice lvl 59,65)

second : Necro items (Phylactery/Scythe) are 5, 26, 60, 70

third : with the RoS expansion, absolutely everything else has craftable 61, 70. the rest have variations which I’ve listed accordingly.

ARMOR: -------------------------(all pieces have 50, 54, 60, 61, 70)
Helm -------------- 9, 15, 18, 21, 27, 32, 40, 44
Shoulders ---------------- 19, 23, 27, 32, 40, 44
Chest ----------- 5, 8, 14, 20, 23, 26, 31, 36, 45
Bracers -------------------- 17, 22, 27, 32, 40, 44
Belt ------------------- 4, 9, 19, 24, 30, 35, 40, 45
Pants ---------------- 5, 8, 13, 18, 23, 30, 40, 45
Boots -------------- 4, 10, 16, 22, 26, 31, 36, 45
Shield ------------- 8, 13, 18, 22, 29, 33, 37, 45

AMULETS: ------------------------------- 38, 43, 48, 54, 59, 61, 70
RINGS: ------------------------- 29, 31, 36, 42, 45, 53, 60, 61, 70

WEAPONS: ---------------------------------------------------(all 61, 70)
1h Axe ------------- 5, 17, 25, 30, 34, 39, 42, 46, 55, 57
Bow -------------- 8, 12, 18, 23, 30, 34, 40, 43, 47, 54, 60
Crm. Knife ------------------- 24, 29, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60
2h XBow ----------15, 19, 25, 29, 32, 36, 42, 50, 55, 58
Dagger --------- 10, 16, 22, 26, 32, 38, 44, 50, 53, 56
Fist ---------------------------- 24, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60
Flail ---------------------- 20, 25, 30, 34, 38, 44, 50, 54, 60
1h Xbow ----- 5, 10, 17, 22, 27, 33, 39, 44, 48, 53, 57
1h Mace --------------- 18, 24, 27, 33, 37, 41, 50, 54, 60
Mighty ----------------- 17, 25, 30, 34, 37, 45, 50, 55, 60
Mojo/Source --------- 17, 25, 30, 32, 38, 44, 50, 55, 60
Quiver -------------- 19, 24, 30, 35, 40 (x2 ?), 50, 55, 59
Staff ------------------ 18, 22, 26, 35, 40, 42, 47, 52, 56
1h Sword ------- 12, 19, 23, 30, 35, 40, 43, 48, 52, 58
2h Axe ------------ 8, 16, 21, 29, 33, 37, 41, 50, 54, 58
2h Sword -------15, 19, 23, 27, 32, 38, 44, 50, 55, 57
Wand ------------------ 17, 25, 29, 33, 39, 45, 50, 55, 60

If anyone wants to put the time in to make a user friendly spreadsheet, have at it, i’ve done all im going to do at this point.

2 Likes

Wow…   That’s a lot of work.

No thanks. I believe I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing. It’s less work and more time spent on just…   well…   leveling up to 70.

In the example below, I created a Level 1 non-Season Demon Hunter and hired a Templar Follower. Since the Season is over, I simulated a Level 70 Azurewrath Sword (Crafted Primal) with Level Requirement: 1 by way of a Gem of Ease.

1. I never craft items for my Follower until we hit Level 70. Until then, I equip him with found items.
  2. With the Altar's Anointed Seal unlocked, at early Levels, I mouse-over a dropped or gambled item. It's easy to tell if the Follower can equip it or not.
    1. • No tooltip and red border around Weapon Slot means they cannot equip item.
      • Tooltip and white border around Weapon Slot means they can equip item.

Notice in the screenshot below: When I mouse-over the Level 70 Crafted Primal Azurewrath Sword with the Rank 90 Gem of Ease it has a Level Requirement: 1. However, it is still a Level 70 item.

The Level 1 Templar CANNOT equip it because it’s a Level 70 item. And since Legendary Gems do not work for Followers (except the Mutilation Guard and Esoteric Alteration), the Gem of Ease is ineffective for the Templar. (Same as the Anointed Seal in the Altar).

If the Templar was capable of equipping this Azurewrath Sword, his Weapon Slot would not have a red border around it and there would be a tooltip showing the changes if he were to equip it.

In conclussion:

Rather than referencing a massive chart, in-game, to see whether my Follower can equip an item or not, I’ll just glance at the tooltip (or lack of) when I mouse-over the item. In the meantime, we’ll be Level 70 within a few minutes of claiming the Challenge Rift Cache after the Season starts. And then, I can craft anything I want…   for both of us.  

(I gave you a Like just because of the work you put into this).

1 Like

thats great, but in HC when you die your follower doesnt just go back to town with his lvl 70 gear and wait for you to reroll. you also cant look at your bank and have your follower window open at the same time, nor can you mouseover stuff and have the tooltip showing for your follower(while at the bank OR blacksmith).

Idk, maybe you run in groups or get powerleveled, and thats why this irrelevant to you? In solo play, gearing your follower while leveling can mean the difference between getting healed or not, because he’s dead. His dmg is trivial, his support is not, especially in HC. I play monk, I like the heals and mana regen and cheat death, so i use templar.

For me, this whole thing started when i crafted 3 templar relics trying to get the highest one useable at the time. It seemed stupid that they made the item levels change to 1, without any hint of what it used to be. You can hold shift or ctrl or alt to affect the tooltips display of items, but nothing for this? They managed to make it change everything to 1 after you sacrifice at the altar, but also able to tell what level it is in regards to your followers, but not work with the “highest useable” filter at the blacksmith.

also PS, you know you can combine items with gem of ease to make them lvl 1 right? like combine weapon with gem in the cube instead of put it in the socket? i used to make full lvl 70 gear sets to speed level myself in HC in case i died, which now thanks to altar is uneccessary, but i did just make one in non season yesterday to do some test runs for leveling.

True. But, you don’t have to open your Stash (bank?) and your Inventory to compare items for your Follower. Right-click on the item in question, close your Stash, open your Inventory and mouse-over the item. You do not need to open your Follower’s Inventory.

As far as the Blacksmith goes, I do not waste currency (Mats and Gold) crafting items for my Follower until we reach Level 70. This does not take long, if you plan it right. (Normal or Hardcore).

No.

I play SSF. I cannot play in groups or get Power Leveled…   even if I wanted to.

I agree with you on this. Several of us have requested that Blizzard add a QoL feature that would list the Required Level as something like: Required Level: 1/70. Or even add another line:

• Required Level: 1
  • Item Level: 70

But, so far, Blizzard has ignored us.

Yes. But, I choose not to do this. With the Altar’s second, Anointed, Seal, it’s a waste of those Gems. First of all, you lose the Gem of Ease. Second, you won’t get the extra Experience for fast leveling. Of course, at the beginning of a Season, we won’t have that Gem. And we won’t be able to get it until we are Level 70.

I understand this is different for Alternate Characters. Especially Hardcore Characters, if you experience multiple deaths.

I don’t know what else to tell you. It seems you’re making things harder on yourself than is necessary. But, you go ahead and play the game the way you want to. The important thing is that you have fun doing it.

My point was that, for me, I want to keep it simple. My goal is to:

1. Complete the Altar of Rites.
  2. Complete the Season Journey.
  3. See how far I can go in the Greater Rifts before it becomes work and not fun.

I was merely responding to your statement that:

Well, I don’t want to put time into that.

You said it yourself:

And…   that’s perfectly fine by me.
Good luck, good hunting and stay safe in your future Hardcore adventures!  

Asᴋ ɴᴏᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴏ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ;
ᴀsᴋ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴏ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ

I do not hide from my enemies.
I do not run from my foes.
I seek them out; I hunt them down;
and then they’re quickly disposed.

~ 𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑢𝑠𝑜𝑒

Just craft sovreign items if you want fast lvl 70 gear for the followers, those are the lvl 70 ones for every piece of armor, jewelry, and weapon

Yes. But, if you look at the chart @Silence posted in the OP, I think they want to craft Follower gear at various points as they level up.

For example:

i dont really want to craft much at all, my follower usually gets my hand me downs every time i upgrade along the way (he gets all the highest stam gear that drops that i dont want).
I just noticed that its harder in HC because if you stash a bunch of backup yellows n blues in case of death, theres no easy way to re-equip your follower with stuff youve saved (without wasting a bunch of time staring at stuff), and also the only thing i usually make along the way is the relic since they dont seem to drop very much until closer to lvl 50, and i made 2 “too high to equip” relics before making a third that he could use at the time…
this post is a follow up post off of my original “QoL request” post which was asking for a 1(70) type thing for the tooltip to make it not such a hassle at certain moments. I just documented all the levels for reference, for anyone that it might help. For the most part, once i hit 18, anything that drops will only be for my follower (except jewelry) and theres no mystery since our levels are the same- he’ll be able to use it- so in HC anything saved in the bank would have to be pulled into the bags every time i wanted to upgrade him which is a huge p.i.t.a.

I had to make this new thread because I couldnt bump the old post with this new list added to it, w/o someone replying on it first (blizz forum anti spam technique?)