Tired of Being Ambushed at GR Entrances

Please stop Elite packs ambushing players at Greater Rift entry points.

Long ago we complained bitterly about being ambushed by one, two, even three packs of Elites, which were standing immediately outside the door, and would attack the player immediately on entry. Naturally, this caused a huge problem for certain classes and builds that need to get buffed up before they can properly defend themselves.

Blizzard fixed this problem eventually, and there was a 30 or 40 yard save zone that contained no monsters, and like Waypoints, if the player didn’t move, the monsters would ignore him for 15 or 30 seconds.

Since the beginning of Season 17 (and probably before), this has been a constant problem. Playing the Embodiment of the Marauder Demon Hunter Sentry set, I enter a GR90 and in a panic set down sentries as fast as I possibly can, because I’m being attacked - at last occurrence - by three Elite packs. This happens over and over again, and it’s only due to a combination of skill and luck that I haven’t lost more of my Hard-core characters to this behavior.

Please stop Elite packs ambushing players at Greater Rift entry points.

4 Likes

CONCUR! I HATE THIS! As a Vyrchon wiz, I have had to abandon GRs because of stacked deaths in the first room of the rift. Costs me keystones and 50-70M+ gold every time it happens.

1 Like

I’m seeing a lot of elites at entry too. And sometimes if it is one of those rifts with a narrow corridor at entry that leads to an open space, first encounter would be an elite in open space with no mobs in the narrow corridor leading to the open space.

This is not a bug. Feedback should be given in other forums such as General Discussion.

Blizzard made statements about having fixed this so that it wouldn’t happen and for a few months after that, it didn’t happen. Subsequent patches re-introduced elites at the entrance, i.e. the behaviour occurring in the game doesn’t match what Blizzard said should happen. When actual gameplay doesn’t match with the stated design, that’s a bug.

2 Likes

Can anyone post a video showing elites at the entrance? From all the GRs I’ve done, I have never had monsters at the entrance. The entrance was always clear, and the first monster was always at least a screen away.

Now, there could be several elite packs just beyond the first screen. I’ve had that happen, but that occurrence was never removed according to the patch notes. They just promise that the entrance was free of monsters.

Can’t do videos, but if I play some GRs today I’ll see if I can grab some screenshots when I get this.

This still occur seldom especially on the Ruins, Cave and the Withered Wood map. Elite pack(s) wait for you just couple steps away. As Vyr Archon, I welcome this but any other setup I just reset now a day. Basically, my safe zone is about 30 x 15 yard rectangle area right at entrance. The worst one is Pandemonium Fortress type map. You started takes couple of steps and get greeted with elites packs that doesn’t give you any safe spot to stand on and beyond that first elite pack is another elite pack. As Vyr Archon, I can easily teleport until I find the first big platform and build my stacks from there. But when I play monk or demon hunter, that’s just not possible.

But you still have no monsters at the entrance. That was all they promised. Therefore this is not a bug.

Also have to define “The entrance” As far as I understood it, they shouldn’t be right where you spawned where if you didn’t move, they wouldn’t aggro. If you moved a few feet and then they aggro’ed you, they technically wern’t at the entrance.

Old Rifts had the monsters right at the entrance where when you transfered to that floor, you would be already under attack. This was changed where the immediate entrance where you zone it wouldn’t have the enemies any more but if you moved a bit from it, they could be there.

From the patch notes (2.4.3):

There is now a guaranteed area at the entrance of each floor with no monsters

• This area is just large enough for ranged characters to maneuver

Here is a video of the entrances when I was leveling a gem:

Note that there are no monsters at the entrance. The nearest monster was always a screen away.

1 Like

Well I thank you for your time in preparing that video, but I’m afraid it’s invalid.

You started a GR, found no monsters directly ahead of you, then exited the GR and the game, then restarted a new game, and recorded yourself entering the first floor. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I didn’t think to be more specific, but yes, when you enter the GR on the first floor, there are often no monsters until at least the screen away, especially on the maps based on the Plague Tunnels, the Temple of the Firstborn, the Realm of the Banished, the Stinging Winds, the Festering Woods, and the Eternal Woods.

But get these same maps two floors down, and you’ll be met by a death squad which is particularly troublesome for hard-core characters. This happens over and over again and you recording a video of yourself entering the first floor of 10 Greater Rifts and then exiting demonstrates nothing. But as I said, I do appreciate your time spent in the attempt.

As Meteorblade said, at one time Blizzard made a statement that they recognized the problem, and would try to fix it, and they did. For a period of time after that, pretty much every floor you entered looked like the ones you enter. Then a patch or two happened, and now we are back to being ambushed.

On a side note, they said that cave maps would occur less frequently, and when they did, they would be much shorter. Well, that fix flew out the window as well.

Except they weren’t exclusively the first floor. I kept going down until I killed the rift guardian. Most of the time, that meant only two floors. But even when I had GRs where I had to go down 3 or 4, it’s still the same.

So why don’t you post some videos of this supposed “bug.” So far it is all just your unsubstantiated claims.

So post a link to this claim. I already posted the section of the patch notes that explained what they did, and it stated only that there would be no monsters at the entrance. It said nothing about what was beyond the entrance.

1 Like

And here is another video of all the GR entrances, this time I went all the way to the end of the rift.

I’ll have to figure out how to use ShadowPlay…You never know when it’s going to happen.