Thoughts on Ehtereal's from long time user

Sorry, I posted this in the general comments as well not realizing this forum Topic existed:
Well, I played the PTR yesterday up until midnight and got to PL600+ ranked 56th on the Leaderboard as of last night when I quit, so I have spent some time reviewing this for an early assessment. Overall, the weapons are perfectly designed giving a nice power boost for season with every available class, and virtually every build. Blizzard did an excellent job with this and I am looking forward to season 24.
Here is the downside: A successful season will highly depend on drop rate as that cannot be tested in the PTR. 80% of the Ethereals that will drop will be useless, as the only ones that will be good are the ones that have the affixes to your build. This means that out of one Ethereal that drops, you will have a 1 in 30 chance of it being for your build, if it is not, it is garbage. Now if the drop rate is between Ancient and Primal, and with those odds, this could be a very frustrating season for most. I am hoping that the drop rate will be that of Ancient, as most Ethereals will be salvaged, if they do not compliment your build.
Overall, Blizzard has done a phenomenal job and this could be the best season yet depending on the drop rates of these items, as if one can play an entire season with not receiving an Ethereal that benefits their build, it will be a frustrating season for some. I am looking forward to this season, and can’t wait for the start date. Well done Blizzard!

2 Likes

I believe the main goal of the season is to collect all the ethereal items before the season ends so that you get all the transmogs going forward. Having an item chase makes Diablo what it is, this of all things shouldn’t be handed out to players.

No, that is NOT the point of the season. The transmogs are a bonus feature for those that like to play multiple classes in a season. Very few, if any will be playing the season just for the transmogs.

I believe that it is, it is also to honor D2 in preparation of the Resurrected launch.

They are something new to us in D3, the season is the item chase. It’s hard to grasp the concept, but much like the follower rework season, it’s going to be pretty bland again.

Dude, your post is kinda shady.
How they did a good job with the Ethereals if they pretty much excluded 2 of the most played DH builds (Shadow and UE6), DH doesn’t have an Etherial melee weapon and any discipline affix.
Or you didn’t know about this, or you choose to ignore it, both ways I don’t think u are capable or have enough information to bring an evaluation about the current states of the Etherial.
They do have the potential to be good, but at least until the next patch notes, they will fail to bring the expected results.