The secret to getting ethereals and primals

Thanks mate, you’ve pointed me in the right direction

Thanks for the correction. The point still stands though that if you’re after ethereals, you need to find the right balance of speed and power. Not everyone is after paragon. Some just want to complete the conquest as fast as humanly possible, and yeah, that might mean you end up hundreds of paragon below what you could have had should you have taken an extra 3-4 hours for collecting the ethereals on a higher difficulty.

Aha something new where are or what are pylons—there are so many variables in this game it is downright confusing.
OK This is what my Crusader currently have
Aughlid’s Power Aughlid’s Power Flavor of Time
Shoulder Helm Amulet

Pride of Invoker Torso has Aughlid’s Power
Gloves Emerald and Amethyst Wrist

Ring Captain Crimson Ring
Litany of Undisputed Belt with Topaz and Wailing Host with Boyarsky’s Chip
Topaz Ruby

Primary weapon Captain Crimson Shield
Hallowed Breach Waders + Ruby Hallowed Barricade

• Topaz

Under Kanai Cube I’ve selected

Mad Monarch Sceptre Belt of the Trove Archstone

All of the above were in columns now they’re all over the place

Diablo III - Game Guide - Pylons

Don’t worry about pylon placement like you have to memorize it all. You will learn it as you play enough normal rifts and GRs. I don’t remember them all. I only remember a smaller percentages than many others do.

OK regarding the Pylons. On a different note, I’m still unsure of the role of the gem. On my crusader I’ve placed an emerald and amethyst gem in the torso and a topaz and ruby in the pants. The sword has a topaz and the shield has a ruby. All the gems are at the top of their range. Is this the best layout??

No.

For a Crusader, Strength is your main stat. So, for your chest / legs, you will never use Emeralds (grants Dexterity) or Topazes (grants Intelligence). The choice comes down to using Rubies (grants Strength) which gives you extra damage and armour, or Diamonds (grants All Resistances) which gives you more mitigation / survivability. In your helm, most builds will make use of a Diamond, which gives you extra Cooldown Reduction. For your weapon, unless you’re playing a Thorns build, you’ll use an Emerald as that gives you Critical Hit Damage.

Earlier in the thread you were already given a link to the maxroll.gg site which gives build explanations, which will include things like which non-legendary gems to use in your armour / weapon, and which three legendary gems to use in each build.

I saw your character profile. And have to ask, wtf?

Well Indian, what can I say. I’m asking because there’s just to much variables to full comprehend it

Thanks Meteorblade, your input is very much appreciated

Ok you realy should read some guides.

I have mate, I really have and asked numerous questions but the big problem still stands.
Tonight I’ve played a Greater Rift at Level 25 (Torment6) at normal settings. I finished it in 16 minutes and died 6 times. (Swearing doesn’t help) I’d love to know what type of weapons or should I say what levels of weapon you guys are successfully doing it in less than 4 minutes. Whatever gems I’ve installed in my sword/shield (both rated around 2200) clearly aren’t good enough? And until I’m able to find stronger rated weapons which unfortunately this is my only issue; then I regret to say I’m unable to move on. Unfortunately no amount of reading/researching will replaced a better weapon/shield

You’re missing the basic thing…

All of the six-piece armour sets give massive bonuses to one or two abilities and, generally, also give you a lot of mitigation. Until you have a six-piece armour set, your damage will be extremely limited.

Just as an example, look at the Seeker of the Light set bonus…

(6) Set:
Increase the damage of Blessed Hammer by 15,000% and Falling Sword by 1000%.

15,000% is a 150 times damage multiplier.
You’re missing stuff like that by not having a full armour set.

1 Like

Ok i see you put together a set, that buffs blessed hamer, now you can do 2 things, look for the shield that further buffs BH, and a weapon for the same skill, or get the set weapon for the set shield you already have. And use the blessed hammer skill whit the set you have, otherwise you’ll won’t be dealing any meaningfull damage.

I must point out that I’m a 70yo cripple and alas not very computer literate, so a number of words (abbreviated) that are used I do struggle with. The good news is I’m now beginning to understand you
Meteorblade/Indian, thanks for your input—-----Blessed Hammer by 15,000% and Falling Sword by 1000%-----wow that’s great to know.
OK I’ll switch over and use my Hallowed Breach and Hallowed Shield. Although I must point out that they’re rated at 1882 damage and 22,204 block. This is far less than what I’m currently using Scourge rated at 4012 damage.
look for the shield that further buffs BH---------I’ve been trying but alas I’m finding everything except the sword and shield.
Hallowed Breach—is a Hallowed Breach a blessed hammer?-you see this is something I never knew.
The sword-----A Topaz offer 38,000 damage whilst an Emerald offer 130% critical damage—which is the better one to use?
Incidentally my set doesn’t have a waist part. I need to increase my Forgotten Souls so I can “upgrade rare parts and use Skil of Nilfur although here I’m not having any luck at all.
I’m very happy with this information, I’ll sleep well tonight
Cheers

That’s why we have stuff like this in the New Player Help forum…

Just as an example, here’s a build guide for the Seeker of the Light set…
https://maxroll.gg/guides/sotl-blessed-hammer-crusader-guide
The suggested weapon (for non-seasonal heroes) is Johanna’s Argument which gives this effect…

Increase the attack speed and damage of Blessed Hammer by 100%.

100% damage bonus is a 2 times damage multiplier.
Attacking twice as fast is a 2 times damage multiplier.

As it’s a one-handed flail, you don’t need to use Heavenly Strength and you can swap to Fervor instead which gives you a 15% attack speed buff, which is a 1.15 times damage multiplier.

So, you have a 4012 damage Scourge, without these multipliers. If you get a Johanna’s with 2000 damage, that sounds like it’d do less damage, right? However, we have to factor in the (2 * 2 * 1.15) times damage multiplier, i.e. 4.6 times damage multiplier, so 4.6 * 2000 = 9200. So, it’s not a comparison between 4000 and 2000, it’s 4000 versus 9200. Swapping to the right one-handed flail gets you 2.3 times more damage.

No, it gives 38,000 Thorns, not damage. Unless you’re playing a Thorns-based build (such as the Invoker set) this will not markedly increase your damage. As I’ve previously said, you want an Emerald in your weapon, as this provides Critical Hit Damage. All build guides will tell you which gem types to put into your helm, chest / legs, weapon and legendary gems for your jewellery.

If you want an example of a Seeker…

There is no Secrets… RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG

IN 3 DAYS SEASON, i droped over 20… But after i hit my meta, i simply stoped. Igor my pet wings stash tab and Port frame, and i personaly dont see any big Deal or something so special about these ethereals.
What am really happy for is the 5 primals i got, and my journey completes in 3 days.

1 Like

@Kaiserblade, I know that rng still plays a part. But to get what you want from a game you must play it in a way that will allow you to reach your goal. If you are wanting ethereals and primals then you have to play in a way that rewards you with those pieces. Playing speedy GRs is the way to do it. I have gotten my first usable primal on a level 70 seasonal unlock which is the Scoundrel’s token. Then the next lucky drop was the next primal after it which were the pants on my seasonal DH linked below.

https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/ShadowAegis-1537/hero/106867510

Further I know that just shows how lucky I have been during this season. But I did test primals in the PTR and I could easily go clear a GR without augments that took me augments to clear non season. So I know that they do provide a huge boost to power. That is the whole idea of ethereals. Also players are wanting the transmogs to get the feat of strength.

Yay thanks mate, I’m changing things over straight away. It is quite a complexed game though