The No Lobbies, PC Controller, and Loot System Experience

Another new player to Diablo II bites the dust.

1 Like

Because you can do 1 damage to each mob as a sorc easily. As a barb in contrast, you are completely screwed, because you have no AoE. That means, with this system, you would only turn a slight advantage for melees (being closer to dropping loot) into an advantage for ranged classes (which all have some aoe). Although ranged classes already have an easier time, getting gear, by bugging Mephisto.

Still, sorcs (which are super strong already) can leech semi afk and barbs will never join these games. You basically split the community by classes, because for some classes ffa is beneficial and for others ploot.

Or you give everyone loot, no matter if they contribute, then you can leech fully afk.

In D2 plot is just Bad. It doesn’t matter, how you implement it afaik, because every implementation has Bahri drawbacks.

Something, all you guys complaining about the lack of uw support, lack of ploot, lack of respecs, [
] don’t get is, that D2 is OLD. New graphics don’t change the fact, that this game has old mechanics, old calculations, old systems, most of which are not compatible with a single upgrade to another loot system, uw support or so.

You would have to fundamentally change some mechanics!

I guess, it’s just natural, that most people don’t see this, because most people are not familiar with the details of the game.

But I don’t get at all, that all these people, who have no clue about the game, flood the forums with this BS!

How do you think to know, what’s best for a game, you have no clue about?

2 Likes

When there is a will, there is a way, with this problem, you just need to create a rule set that unless you deal a certain amount of damage to a mob, it wont drop anything for you and this amount is surely not 1 damage and I am not a game balance dev so I will leave that to VV if this ever become possible. So zero leeching possible here, you contribute or you are out. In a sense, it will boost contribution between party members isnt it? Secondly, there is still the method of solo finding items if you wish to do so, so effectively nothing change.

Believe me, I would rather have a divided player base that is large than a small “united” player base. As I said, the reality is, the majority of D2R are going to be returning/new/casual players. Their sale projection is in the millions, I will let you compare that to the existing player base of D2.

There are plenty of D2 Vets also share the same sentiments, not just new players. I myself played D2 way back when I was a kid and I still love it enough to come back and buy D2R and I sure as hell played a lot of much harder games than D2 (Nioh, soulborn series) and I love hard games. But shareloot does not make the game “hard”, it just turn players that want to loot hunt in public games away to solo in the dark by themselves, I hardly call that fun for those people dont you think? Btw D2 is not even that hard, I mean come on how hard is it to make a soc for MF and do Baal/Uber/cows over and over again?

Overall, my point is dont be too judgemental about other’s level of expertise to D2 or gaming in general to voice their opinions. I repeat, we all paid for the same game, no one is more special than the other.

I’m not telling potentially millions of players to go elsewhere. Theyre going to buy the game, and they are going to go elsewhere very shortly, no matter what changes are made. I repeat, they are going to buy the game and no matter what changes are made, they wont last long here. I know them better than they know themselves. Making these changes actually accomplishes nothing for them and diminishes the true spirit of D2.

2 Likes

And this sentence right here is exactly why so many new players are so turned off by some of the vets on any D2 forum. You litteraly know nothing about this large upcoming playerbase and you are making this kind of assumptions. Jeez man, you truly are a man at the center of the universe huh?

You wont settle for your FFA games while letting others having fun in their own way while the economy/core gameplay remain the exact same. Bravo dude, just bravo, you dont even realize that D2R is a reality because of the monetary contribution that this new playerbase bring to the table and demand only the old school’s players opinions be heard and matter.

Well, I have nothing else to add because clearly, the conversation with you have became nonconstructive.

2 Likes

I know a thing or two about human psychology, and I know a lot about the upcoming playerbase. I’ve made a lot pf predictions about them
 And reading these forums, reddit, etc, everything I thought was true. Though it might be even worse than I imagined.

Whatever I’m saying to “turn you off” is well known by the gaming businesses that keep taking your money. You might not like it, but its true.

1 Like

Nope, I very much disagree here. I can ofc see, that you can come up with an optimized set of rules, such that ploot is better, than what we have discussed so far. But with this set of rules, you have to balance 2 things:

1. getting loot within one game with each class.

2. getting loot in a party vs getting it in in solo play.

This is not trivial. Try and do that in theory and I bet, you can’t properly, because it will end up being trash for sone classes.

The strength of D2 is, that each class has its advantages, so there is no fine tuning for balancing needed.

Sorcs are the best MFer, but can’t do ubers and are not particularly great for solo Baal runs.

Smiters are great for ubers, but can’t farm items, nor exp.

Hammadin are Baal runners, but are bad for ubers afaik.

All of these are clearly worse than an Amazon for cows.

Sins are great for PvP and beating content with a low level (because of great stats).

Barbs are great at MFing, ubers and PvP, but don’t even try cows. Also you have to play a lot, to get a barb there.

Now as soon as you try to make all classes good at one of these things, you will never finish balancing this game. These things end up in games, which are less of an RPG, because classes end up resembling each other more and more.

Well, same thing can be said about your money my man, we are in this together arent we? And while I am no human psychology expert, I am never bold enough to make a prediction about millions of future players. But hey, you do you man, I am also a returning D2 player btw so I am not new to this game at all. Keep up the good work predicting my behavior man.

i think they fear that if there was such an option, most people would play the personal loot setting thus making the ffa one pretty dead. oh noes!

again, i suggest they try PL in a beta server type setting and see just which one people like better. for the money i am paying for this remaster, which is same as a NEW game, i would kind of expect some sort of continued development. i mean if this was just a graphical upgrade, why can’t i use the original client then? if i wanted to play the 20 year old version, it’s right there b/c i already own it.

so ya, one setting for legacy no changes and the other diablo 2+. bring some fresh air into this old game would be a nice change of pace if you ask me. even the original devs admit FFA loot was a mistake so why not give it a try by beta testing it?

In a sense, what you have said just reinforced my point even further. I dont ever remember the last time that D2 is a balanced game and I am also not crazy enough to suggest a perfectly balancing change to the game. Those classes that are not so good for share loot are suddenly good in Ploot? Thats great news isnt it? The classes that are good at share loot can continue to share loot and the others have a whole new field to be played with.

What we are suggesting is just an additional way to approach loot finding in pub games for a different player base that is clearly not the old player base. You guys have our utter most respect and that is why we never suggested removing FFA from the game, at least I didnt. D2 will always have builds and classes that are way above the others in certain things but not in everything and I like it to be remained that way too.

Well, it is balanced, but not if you pick one single gameplay situation from the game, see:

No, because the classes, which have a disadvantage in shared loot (e.g. sorcs) don’t even have problems to get loot. They can but Mephisto and EASILY get something like

• shako
  • war travs
  • magefists
  • vipermagi‘s
  • occulus
  • wizardspike
  • lidless wall
  • lightsabre
  • arreats
  • arachnids mesh
  • earstring (I think that’s how it’s called)
  • the eye

The latter obviously are more rare, but a sorc will get the majority of these items WAY faster than a barbarian. So please, let the barbarians have the advantage of getting loot in MP. Most barbarians don’t even make it solo through hell.

Yeah, it surely would be very ennjoyable playing any melee ungeared character among casters which don’t really need gear to literally instanteniously delete pack of monsters in 8 players game in which there is many spells casted at a time. In most games you prolly wouldn’t be able to do a single swing before everything dies, so you would have even less chance to get any loot than in current game.

I totally understand you my man, that is why FFA will still be there in its glorious form for you to play your barb on, no one is losing anything here. I would never in a hundred years want to remove FFA from the game, just give others Ploot to play it their way just like how you play your barb man.

Ugh, This has been discussed to death that the horse has long since turned to dust. Its a remaster of the original D2 that didn’t have PLoot. Theres pros and cons to EACH method. In the spirit of D2, they have kept it the same as it was in D2 vanilla. Its not going to change.

Do I like the FFA loot, not really, it causes more grief then it should but its how the D2 economy was born as well. PLoot will be just full of leechers that do nothing to get loot (and its explained why having rules to prevent it wont work either).

Basically its this, if you want loot, play solo or with friends. If you want XP, you play in groups.

3 Likes

There is FFA still there for said classes, I dont see them losing out on anything here my man.

But you do see the problem, that ploot makes it possible for people, to just join the game and leech their way through?

I mean, if we can agree on that and you still want ploot, then we simply have different opinions on how items should be earned. Even if I don’t participate in ploot games, I still feel weird about people beating the game afk
 and if these people join games with particularly good groups, they can even get good gear faster than me and PK me.

Sure that’s unlikely, but why implementing the possibility to leech through the entire game?

That being said, I appreciate your argument, to make the game more enjoyable for more people. I tend to try to find solutions for other issues in the same way. I just think, ploot doesn’t offer a solution, which does not (at least indirectly) influence FFA players aswell.

I wouldn’t mind a WoW like need/roll system. Would be still exciting but stop the greedy type of players somewhat if you can kick them if they are consistently clicking on need even if it isn’t an item for their class.
but then again I always played d2 causually and solo. I understand the oldschools who did commit to baal runs non stop and were all good about it (lasting the playtime of this game forever).
I guess they won’t change that though. It will stay as in the original - it would change too much of its core and that’s a nogo (for base playerbase and developers - they want to stay true to the original as much as possible).

Well truth is, there are a lot of players that love to play in groups but doesnt have any friends. Omg, a gamer that doesnt have any friends, shocking right? All I and many others are suggesting is a game mode in which these kind of players or just casual players have an actual chance to get loot as long as they contribute to a certain amount of damage dealt to the monsters, definitely not 1 damage but sizable enough to matter.

Ah for that problem, there is an easy fix, make it so that you have to contribute a certain amount of damage to the monster to have a chance at receiving a portion of the loot pool at random. Of course not 1 damage, but sizable enough to justify getting your loot. This way, suddenly the game feel a lot more cooperative and engaging to everyone. Everyone will be on fire to contribute as much as they can because there is a clear goal to do so. In this mode, the game will shift from everyone stop attacking half way through and go in melee to prepare for pickit tool or spam click to work together to bring down the monster faster as much as I can so that I can have a chance at a piece of the pie.

And the beauty here is, if this is not your cup of tea, it is totally understandable and FFA is there waiting for you.

I am well aware of this my man, all of these forum posts might just be a wild goose chase for all I know but at least I and many others were able to voiced out legit ideas and opinions so that we have no regrets in term of constructive contribution to a game that we all love.