The No Lobbies, PC Controller, and Loot System Experience

That is not how magic find works in D2 though.
You sitting back with a bunch of magic find would not help you. Magic find rules should NOT change.

1 Like

Blizzard already made it exceedingly clear what their goals were for this remaster.

QoL changes and graphical improvements.

So yes you’re right obviously.

However it doesn’t extend to altering the gameplay. As Blizzard already pointed out, classic gameplay, preserved.

So either you’ve stuck your head in the sand, or you genuinely believe that ploot is QoL and not a gameplay mechanic.

In D3 you don’t push the rifts because you’re too busy opening up the map to see if any loot dropped. The screen is littered with green and brown dots. You’re more concerned with grabbing it all than contributing.

In D2 you attempt to stay near the front of the pack, thereby being forced to contribute to have access to loot, the more charms you have the less space. And you must be aware of how your inventory is laid out or you may not be able to fit the item before someone else grabs it.

The gameplay that these two loot styles create as a byproduct is absolutely meaningful. To argue that it isn’t significant in shaping gameplay is disingenuous ignorance.

ah well at the end of the day, i am here just to DISCUSS the possibility of a PL setting some time in the future. no where in this have i DEMANDED this to change. i am merely talking about it so i plan to play no matter what happens. so no need to get all hostile and angry. god, you people take things so seriously. relax bros.

2 Likes

Yes, Ploot is QoL.
Just like Ladder items in non-ladder is QoL.

Not true, a leecher can easily just run in the front, let others do the killing, and pick up items, in an inventory with no charms, since they dont have to care about efficiency.

You do realize when ladder ends the items go non-ladder right? They END UP THERE after Ladder Season 1 ANYWAY…come on now…

Yes, as said, it is just QoL.

difference is, in vanilla non-ladder you can’t make ladder rune words, only port over the items once the season is done. this changes makes it pretty pointless to play ladder since the only real incentive to play it is the ladder rune words…so ya, big change there.

Uhhh…

Having charms or not, doesn’t make you a leecher.

So a leecher in D2 has to run to the front, thereby risking death.

A leecher in D3 just loads into the rift and sits there until they feel like hitting tab, and collects their loot with zero risk.

Yes, thanks for helping me make my point. No ploot in D2R.

Didnt say so. Just makes it easier to leech.

Once again easier when you dont care about dmg and can focus solely on survival.

I dont care about D3.

Would not work in my proposed loot system, since items would become FFA if not looted within X seconds.

I agree and hope magic find does not change.

I was just saying if they did personalized loot that’s what would happen…

1 Like

There is no reason that would happen with personal loot.

The loot generation should not change in any way with Personal loot. The exact same items would be created, using the exact same math as with FFA loot today. Only difference would be rolling each dropped item among nearby players.

Good luck having anything worth a flip appear with that nonsense. Also, have fun backtracking through every dungeon after it’s been cleared to see what’s dropped because you barely even stay in the room for X seconds. Finally, godspeed with the whiners that will petition to have X extended every single minute of everyday until D4 comes out.

That is irrelevant, it is a ploot title I was using to demonstrate how loot styles meaningfully affect gameplay. My points stand.

And yet still infinitely riskier than D3 where the looting is as described in my other post.

That would likely be extremely inefficient, as all items worth anything would already be picked up. Also, uh, the theoretical scenario you describe here is exactly the same as with FFA loot.

Item generation would not be affected. Same items would appear.

It has nothing to do with what is being discussed here though.

Who cares? D2R is not D3.

Oh I see your point of view, so the D2 drop calculation stays the same, just everyone gets their own drop based on the killers MF.

I could see this work… but the only issue I see happening is it will become extremely easy to get drops… in example, I can make a level 1 character, get G rushed, get to chaos hell, follow a lvl 90 paladin running the chaos run, and I get a maras amulet.

This would ruin magic finding at lower levels, it would make getting geared for hell extremely easy. Not having to struggle to killing nightmare Meph and Andarial to get geared after you’ve been levelled to be able to solo hell…

You can also do this with FFA though?

No, because I can see the loot as
it hits the ground and can immediately interact with it if I’m in range.

My point is, since you’d have a shot at 4 HRs this week with ffa, if you were in range, whereas your ploot system has decided you will see zero, because no one is going to leave a HR for X to start with. This is the brutal shortcoming of ploot without touching drop rates. It’s garbage.

Except it does. Most people here want ploot, not your oddly amalgamated timed hybrid. D3 is a prime example of ploot and so I contrasted it with ffa to illustrate the noticeable playstyle differences.

Woosh. We’re talking ffa and ploot here. D3 has ploot and was used to show that loot systems drive gameplay. Therefore, changing it changes the gameplay.

Classic gameplay, preserved.

Try to keep up.

Sorry I usually play hardcore ladder, I forget that on non -hardcore dying isn’t an issue… so yea you can also do this with FFA. It would just ruin Hardcore

And you should be able to see the loot here too. So if some insanely good item drops, and the winner does not pick it up, you dont need to run away and come back later. Just wait a little untill it turns FFA.

Anyway, it seems like a very theoretical example, since surely, if that awesome item dropped, the person winning it would likely pick it up quickly, just like it would happen with FFA.

That is not a shortcoming. It is the very purpose of the system.
And again, a reason for having it as an optional toggle. Pick your poison.

Eh, most people I have seen discuss this very much do not want D3s personal loot.

As I have said before, calling the system Personal loot, has been a bad choice of words. D3 is bad, and its personal loot system is bad. That doesn’t mean a “personal loot” system in D2R had to be bad.

This post has been brought to you by Kleenex. The world’s leading tissue. Don’t let tears fall, sweep them up with a Kleenex!

Hm, wouldn’t the risk of dying and losing your character be the exact same with FFA and with “personal loot” here?

You should still need to stay close enough that the game math considers you as part of the group (for simplicity just use the same proximity check as is used for determining the no drop chance, and XP). And you still need to go pick up the item, with the risks that might entail.

You can boost another person in HC with FFA too. As for low lvl leechers in HC, I hope people would refuse to carry a low lvl character in a random group. And even with a timed loot system, they couldnt wait for a long time to make sure all enemies are killed, since the items would turn into FFA before that (imo somewhere between 5-30 seconds depending on item type/rarity)