The Diablo 2 Aesthetic is Art, Please Don’t Ruin It

When remastering a game that is a genre-defining masterpiece such as Diablo 2, the focus should utmost be on preserving and enhancing the original aesthetic of the game, not on altering the aesthetic to fit what you think it should be. The artists undertaking the responsibility of bringing the world of Diablo 2 back to life, albeit with significantly higher visual fidelity, should view themselves as museum workers trying to restore a piece of art to its former glory, it doesn’t matter whether the art is unrealistic or uncouth, the art exists as it does and their job is to preserve it as it was originally intended. That being said, some areas of the remaster are very good such as the careful building of the 3D models over the original 25 FPS engine to retain the mechanics of the original as well as the dark, forbidding environmental design. When it comes to the character design and some aspects of monster design, however, the artists working on Diablo 2 Resurrected failed miserably.

It boggles the mind to think that the tall, busty, blonde bombshell Amazon from the original was somehow turned into a freakish amalgamation of Donald Trump’s face and Meg Griffin’s body. I have no idea how the team thought that turning the hulk-like super human Barbarian into an alcoholic Greco-Roman wrestler about 20 years past his prime was being faithful to the original. The artistic team appears to be reinterpreting the world of Diablo through some type of conservative, almost prudish, realism when that is virtually the complete opposite of the original Diablo 2 aesthetic. Anyone who has spent even a negligible amount of time perusing some of the concept art for Diablo 1 and 2 knows that many of the character models look anything but realistic. The artistic style is crude, vulgar, risqué, and entirely unique often featuring large, hulking, muscular men and busty, scantily-clad, hourglass-figured women. At points, the development team’s efforts to undermine the original Diablo 2 character aesthetic approaches almost comical levels, as in a world where we are fighting against nearly nude succubus demons, it was deemed necessary to lengthen the Sorceress’ skirt. You wouldn’t want to show off a little too much leg when confronting the Devil! Overall, the oftentimes irksome modifications simply come off as petty and ultimately dismissive of the vision of the artists that originally created the Diablo 2 universe.

This misunderstanding of the artistic themes underlying the world of Diablo 2 also seems to spill over into monster designs to a certain degree, although I haven’t examined all of the available footage by any stretch. Specifically, the claw viper model appears to be designed without a solid understanding of the characteristics that make many of the Diablo designs so distinctive and memorable. The remastered claw viper resembles some type of natural evolution of a snake-like creature that acquired arms with claws, but still primarily moves and resembles a kind of fictional reptile of sorts, which I guess is supposed to be scary because snakes are scary or something. However, like many of the monster designs in the earlier Diablo games, the monsters are not meant to be scary per se, but rather to be unsettling. To achieve this goal, many of the most iconic monsters in the Diablo universe are designed to represent visual perversions of humanity.

Andariel is probably one of the best examples of this theme, starting with a voluptuous female figure that is then perverted with the addition of hooves instead of feet, bestial claws instead of hands, and bone-like, barbed appendages protruding from her back resulting in an abomination that is simultaneously enticing and revolting. Following this design philosophy, it is evident that the claw vipers are not supposed to represent an evolution of a snake-like creature, but rather a snake-like corruption of a man. The Diablo 2 claw vipers feature extremely muscular male torsos and arms, which are then perverted with the addition of a snake-like tail with a barbed tip, large claws for hands, and a demon head with a snake tongue. Also, notice how when the Diablo 2 claw vipers move, the torso stays stout and upright as it would if a man were walking, not hunched over slithering like a snake as depicted by the remastered claw vipers. Ironically, the simplistic Carbot Animations video about the claw viper temple was able to better pick up on the design aesthetic of the claw vipers than the Diablo 2 remaster did. Even Duriel, which is essentially nothing more than a large maggot demon, has hulkish arms featuring massive biceps in addition to a six-pack.

In conclusion, I want to be clear that I am not saying a more realistic interpretation of the Diablo universe is irrefutably wrong, but rather that when it comes to Diablo 2, that was clearly not the aesthetic that the original developers were going for, and pursuing such an artistic design philosophy in the remaster would fatally compromise the stylistic integrity of the game. I’m also not saying that a busty blonde is the only correct representation of the Amazon character, but rather if the development team would like to incorporate alternate interpretations of what the Amazon could look like, then they should implement those models in addition to a faithful re-creation of the original Amazon, not as a replacement for it. This goes for all of the classes, and in fact it may very well be an improvement if each character class allowed for 2 or 3 different models to choose from. Diablo 2 is probably my most favorite game of all time, and Diablo 2: Resurrected is the first game I’ve pre-ordered from any game studio since pre-ordering the collector’s edition of the dumpster fire that was Diablo 3, so please stay true to the original when working on this masterpiece.

121 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:!!!

26 Likes

lmao so true :rofl: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :grin:

35 Likes

Have you watched the deep dive about it? They are literally using original art work, renders etc that they have spent a huge amount of time locating and categorising from the original D2.

They are using these original works from the original team as a basis for what they are doing. So what you are seeing in D2:R is closer to what the original team wanted for their models but were limited by the tech at the time.

Now, I agree on the classes not looking 100% but I can’t get over the fact that I feel a number of people are being overly toxic on how they respond to those issues.

So maybe go away, watch the deep dive and realise just how much the team doing this want the game to be a close to what was envisaged but Blizzard North.

17 Likes

Let’s examine just one of the examples from my post, the Sorceress’ skirt. If you navigate to the Diablo 2: Resurrected home page and scroll down to the ‘Resurrected Graphics’ section, then click on the ‘Burial Grounds’ example you can see a before and after of the Sorceress fighting some zombies. Notice that in the original, when the Sorceress runs in the up direction it is clear that she is wearing a short skirt with about half of her thigh visible. Now, move the slider over to see the remastered version and reveal that the skirt is now almost full length, essentially ending at her ankles. It seems obvious to me that such a change was not a result of correcting for technical limitations of the time. I am very sure that the development team is publicly stating that they are staying as true to the original as humanly possible because they know that’s what the fans want to hear, but anyone with eyes can see that they are clearly altering certain aspects of the game to make it less controversial, and more palatable to a mainstream mass audience. I’m sorry if you felt that my post was toxic as it was not my intention, I simply want an accurate remaster of one of the best video games every created. Also, as stated in my original post, I’m not even opposed to a more realistic aesthetic for the world of Diablo, but if developers want to pursue such an aesthetic, they should do it in Diablo 4, not shoe-horn it into Diablo 2.

42 Likes

Yeah, that’s a common sweet formal lie… -_-

10 Likes

ahhh, sorry I didn’t realise that the issues around the graphical remake was that you can’t see enough pixelated boobies or bottoms.
I can honestly say, that never in my time of playing D2, which amounts to thousands of hours have I ever concerned myself with the length of the sorcs skirt.
yes, now I see what you mean, the skirt is longer in the remake. wow, yep, that’s them totally not giving a damn about trying to stick to the original.

Like I said, I don’t believe people have actually bothered to watch the deep dives, with the amount of effort they have gone to, to find out about the original inspirations of the mobs, the locations etc.

They found old renders of the shop in act 2, which had garlic hanging up, you can just about make out the white pixels in d2, which represent those garlics.

The garlic is present in the shop in act 2 fully rendered in D2:R because they found out that detail. There is loads of details they have been able to find because of the work they have done in getting information about D2.

So people saying they don’t care and it’s just what the fans to hear is such rubbish, just because they make the women show off a bit less flesh.

5 Likes

Yes, the focus of the hamsters has been shifted to bloody garlic. Who cares about garlic if characters on the selection screen look like swiborgs? Are you kidding?

25 Likes

Well done for totally missing the point. Amazing. They have already said they will be looking at look of the characters on the selection screen.

But yeah, the character selection screen makes up most of your game time doesn’t it. That’s where you’re going to be spending hours upon hours staring at.
Not at the game world, not at the areas where they have done all a huge amount of work keeping it as close to the original works as possible.

Personally I care 100% more about them making the game world look as amazing as possible and as close to the original as they can rather than worrying about the character selection screen, of which I’ll spend a very short amount of time looking at.

5 Likes

Thank god we have trust in Blizzard regarding remastering former glory classics or should i say “warcraft 3 reforged”. Not funny but true.

8 Likes

I hope that the new team will not make such fatal mistakes as the old one.

4 Likes

Apart from this isn’t just blizzard, they are working with Vicarious Visions who have got a proven record of doing a really good job with “remakes”

Yeah, I spent many time in character selection screen when I was young and D2 was new))
And why do you put the game world and the appearance of the characters on different scales? Are these mutually exclusive paragraphs?
All details matter, dude! It’s not hard in terms of man hours to make the proper characters. Fans can. Why the official developers can’t?

19 Likes

I agree completely, the whole sorceress thing is so stupid especially.

8 Likes

It has already been stated that they are looking at the character faces and looks. So if we move away from the character selection screen, which has been said they will look in to it and away from whether the skirt length on the sorc is really that big of a deal.

I say the skirt length isn’t a bit deal because armour will overwrite that look as soon as you start wearing stuff.

I would love to know in what ways, after watching the deep dive, people believe the developers are straying from the original ideas, while lying to us, by trying to say they are.

1 Like

I believe that they may have areas that are taboo by senior management. Common sense sees no other more adequate reasons.
That’s why the claim that the remake is 1:1 is not entirely true.
However, I do not believe that the developers are not trying to do their best.

5 Likes

They haven’t claimed a 1:1.
It can never be 1:1 because they don’t have all the details from the original for every single asset in the game.
I think someone has posted another thread with a summary from the deep dive and the Q&As
The numbers are around 70:30. 70% for being able to reuse original art and 30% having to go with what they believe is the best fit because that is the best than can do with the information that they have.

1 Like

Okay, please, let characters look good again :slight_smile: I hope so very much…

14 Likes

First, I want to say this is a really fantastic post by the OP. I read this post yesterday and really wanted to respond, but didn’t have enough time to properly put my thoughts together.

Character design (or re-interpretation, unfortunately) has been one of the hottest areas of criticism around D2R. So anyone who is trying to squelch these arguments, accusing people of toxicity or statements like “I don’t care about boobies in my games, and you shouldn’t either,” please realize that this is not the point, and that this is a widespread criticism. Try to understand this is coming from a good place. We are only pushing to preserve the atmosphere and personality of the game, and hope that it stays true to itself and its original design. This legendary piece of art we call Diablo 2 deserves nothing less.

It appears to me, that the design team has taken a more “realistic” slant on the new art design in D2R. One thing that comes to mind is that D4 and D2R are being developed in parallel, and although I don’t know for a fact, I have to assume that the D2R engine, running over top of the original D2 engine, is the same or an altered version of the Diablo 4 engine. They are going for a more realistic (Path of Exile) look for Diablo 4, to win back the playerbase, and I can see that art and design style leaking into D2R quite strongly.

After reading the OP’s post, I realized that the original design of Diablo 2 did have a more cartoonish, fantastical and embellished look to it. It may be hard to perfectly emulate this with the current engine tools they have, but I believe many improvements can be made. When looking at the new character models specifically, you can see they have a more realistic look to them. The old graphics, models, and concept art on the other hand, came from a foundation of classic dark fantasy, inspired by hand painted work.

Realism was never a particularly strong part of the design in Diablo 1 and 2, although it may not seem so at first glance. The original design looks to be more inspired by the Sword & Sorcery subgenre (think Conan the Barbarian). It’s idealistic dark fantasy rather than realistic, and features heavy exaggeration of feminine and masculine physical qualities. Huge rippling muscles, voluptuous bodies, perfect physiques, and lots of skin are staples of this genre. This style was very popular in a lot of fantasy animation in the 80’s and 90’s. Frank Frazetta was one of the classic artists of this style. For example (SFW but only just barely):

1. https://ansionnachfionn.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/a-fighting-man-of-mars-by-frank-frazetta-1973.jpg
  2. http://frankfrazetta.org/viewimage.php?loc=frank_frazetta_thedisagreement.jpg
  3. http://frankfrazetta.org/viewimage.php?loc=frank_frazetta_deathdealerV.jpg
  4. http://frankfrazetta.org/viewimage.php?loc=frank_frazetta_thuviamaidofmars.jpg
  5. http://frankfrazetta.org/viewimage.php?loc=frank_frazetta_vampirella1996.jpg

Then when you look at the original D2 concept art, you have stuff like the below. You can see the classic sword and sorcery influence, and much of this was brought into the game with the technology they had at the time. There is a lot to unpack here but I’ll give some quick thoughts:

D2 Amazon:
http://classic.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/classes/amazonfull.jpg
The old amazon was youthful, full of life, curvy, and strong. The new one is really the opposite and is the worst offender.

D2 Barb:
http://classic.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/classes/barbarianfull.jpg
The hulk-like rippling muscles and unrealistically giant shoulders are missing. The face design of the new is okay but the body looks too realistic, and not fitting.

D2 Sorceress:
http://classic.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/classes/sorceressfull.jpg
The new sorceress design matches some qualities of the concept as well, but the sex appeal is gone. The old sorceress was fit AF and wasn’t afraid to show skin.

D2 Paladin:
http://classic.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/classes/paladinfull.jpg
The new design is somewhere in the middle of the old graphical design and this concept art. I would like to see them interpret the paladin a little more like this piece of art. Either that, or stick closely to the original in-game design. The paladin’s armor also needs to glow and shine in the sun like the old design.

D2 Druid:
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/images/druid/druidfull.jpg
If you compare the new druid design with the concept here, there are more similarities. But the idealist nature of the original art (youthful and full of vitality) is a bit lost.

24 Likes

Bloodshot,

Have you watched the deep dive, where they go through various bits of original ideas, renderings, drawings etc that they have found and they are working towards recreating.

1 Like