The current state of Diablo 2 Resurrected physical release

If it came on disc, I would 100% buy it. Maybe not immediately, but I would.

The fact it is download only, and therefore subject to the whims of digital gremlins means I will 100% not buy it.

1 Like

you mean Final Fantasy VII not VIII

No, they also did it for the recent FFVIII remaster.

Initially it was digital only, but months later they released a physical version.

Only in the international regions. It was not released in physical form in the US. And while the game wasnā€™t region locked, you would need an EU account to access any updates for it if you installed the UK version on a US PS4/PS5.

Why do people think that just because itā€™s one way for them makes it so for everyone, everywhere? If you do indeed have a no data cap service plan then consider yourself lucky. As someone who works in the industry I can tell you that outside of direct fiber residential or business accounts, your connection is going to have a data cap and itā€™s going to be in your ToS, either quickly accessible or buried and worded to the point where itā€™s difficult to understand. Out of the big 10 Iā€™m intimately familiar with, all of them have data caps though the chances of even above normal usage wonā€™t come close as long as you live in a heavier populated area. Even then only 2 of those 10 I know of will enforce them and thatā€™s only in specific areas. Itā€™s those on the outskirts of a city or outside, rural areas who have to be conscious of these caps.

Unfortunately I do fall in the latter which is why I try to latch on to a physical release whenever possible. For me I can choose to use my internet as normal throughout the month or choose to download a game and self-throttle my streaming. Some games I have to outright avoid because it seems game developers have outpaced file compression technology with these next gen titles needing 2-250gb of downloading. For me that would take a good 2-3 weeks to download. I could probably get it done in a week but the idea of shutting off all internet to every device but one isnā€™t an argument I want going on in my household so overnight downloading only is the preferred option.

So again, just because you have a certain experience with your ISP doesnā€™t make yours the defacto experience for everyone. Iā€™m speaking from a U.S. perspective but it would be a great idea to educate yourself by reading up on the Akamai State of the Internet report that comes out I think every 2 years. While it has gotten much better the last few years, I think back in '16 the report showed that still around 40% of U.S. residences didnā€™t have an option that provided greater than 15Mbs. Itā€™s those 40% that would have needed to worry about data caps though I think that number has dropped substantially in 5 years. Thankfully Starlink is coming but currently itā€™s at best 6 months behind schedule. Iā€™m saying that based on I was supposed to get my beta kit last December and not only have I still not received it but the live launch for my area has been pushed to '22 after initially being targeted for June '21.

If something is standard in your entire country, why exactly would something else be considered ā€œcommon senseā€? I have not argued that things look different elsewhere, but ā€œcommon senseā€ is largely influenced of what is considered normal where you are.

My specification was to the dude that considered it impossible to have no caps, which from my point of view would be ā€œcommon senseā€.

For nostalgia I may just go look at the old D2 manuals. They sure donā€™t make them like they use to. I think it included quite a bit of lore.

1 Like

Like 10 years ago.

Life has changed, so try to stay up with the times.

No need to go to the store when you can download the game from your pc or console at home.

That was the point of having physical copies. Things were cool. Normal things of yesterday was the premium things of today.

Nowadays, things are just poorly made, have low quality and straight lazy in the name of ā€œkeep up with the times. No need to go to the store when you can download your games from your PC or console at homeā€.

1 Like