The cleric that opened the gate to the abyss in the cinematic

The wanderer like adventurer that eventually becomes the pale man that is being speculated as Rathma in the cinematic is adamant about the wounded cleric being necessary to make it when the consumed by greed for coin party members try to ditch him. Upon reading the language inscribed on the door the epiphany that blood is the key dawns upon him. Am I the only person that gets a confused, lost “mortal tyrael” vibe from this cleric that opens the gate to the abyss and summons Lilith? Fallen angel now mortal blood is the key perhaps? You’d think that banishment to the abyss wouldn’t have been the imprisonment that it is unless opening the gate was something that couldn’t be done with your regular set of keys per say. Another speculative thought that occurs for me is Lilith looks surprised and / or pissed. I supposed eternal damnation would have such an impression on an entity. Are there novels for the diablo lore or is it all gathered through the gameplay and if so has the story already been written or are people still waiting for the next chapter that D4 will be based on?

Google is your friend, try it out sometime.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=diablo+lore&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

The intention of the thread is to stir up discussion with people, not computers.

Thanks for your input.

You asked about novels, I gave you a like for the novels.

I thanked you for doing so.

That is not all I asked about.

Thanks again.

I don’t know, I had hope for the guy compared to his “companions”, then you find out his goals (though nuanced) were selfish just the same, and he’s looking quite the dead fellow these days.

If you are asking if the cleric is Tyrael, yes you are confused. Tyrael is in heaven and the gates of heaven have been closed to us.

He cut off his wings and was allowed back into heaven? I have not read any of the novels. I’m presuming that you’re up to date on them? That being the case, when was the last one written and where does it leave off at?

…he’s referring to the ending of RoS…

I’m sure the other two were promised gold in the same way that he was promised knowledge in order to coerce the “willingness” aspect of the ritual. They say that the devil will disguise itself as everything you ever thought you wanted. I get the impression that he is being mesmerized into cooperation. Fun stuff!

The Book of Tyrael is a 148-page volume full of original art, lore, and stories about the Diablo universe, released in October 2013. This in-game piece of merchandise is formatted as though written and illustrated by the former Archangel Tyrael during his time as a mortal, after events of Diablo 3 classic. It fills out the world lore and story leading up to events in the Reaper of Souls expansion pack with new in-world fiction and copious illustrations. Topics covered in the book include events in the High Heavens after Diablo’s defeat as the Prime Evil, the re-formation of the Horadric order as guards of the Black Soulstone, the return of the Nephalem, and more.

I haven’t played D3 since it came out. I only recall tyrael becoming mortal and then I don’t remember anything else. Gameplay has always been more important to me than lore and with the failure to integrate player versus player mechanics I abandoned diablo 3.

It’s honestly unclear what became of Tyrael. However, if Tyrael did return to Heaven then that may mean that he has given up or abandoned humanity. We may find out out with Diablo 4.

1 Like

This is the last novel written in the series, released in 2013?

The Book of Adria: A Diablo Bestiary came out in 2018.

I hope they decide to print this. Look who is on this cover.

https://diablo.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/nycc-2018-titan-comics-diablo-has-been-cancelled

So does this mean Tyrael can become an angel again? Not sure if I be asking you or Avalon this question.
Last I saw him outside of adventure mode in story mode he was wounded in possibly bad shape. Seemed fine in adventure mode though.

Tyrael , formerly the Archangel of Justice , now the Aspect of Wisdom , is a mortal angel.

1 Like

Blizzard had touched on this before; according to them the process to turn Tyrael back into an angel would be incredibly difficult, almost impossible even. That said, I honestly don’t believe Tyrael returned to Heaven, especially if they closed their gates to Sanctuary.

At the end of the “Storm of Light” novel, which took place between Diablo 3 and RoS, Tyrael chose to leave Heaven and returned to Sanctuary. Now whether this was a choice of permanence remains to be seen.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s my belief too. I suspect he will be some part of the story decades later.

I remember seeing that cinematic. Interesting, intriguing, provocative curiosity inducing!

I take it the first order of business for Lilith will be the release of Inarius from hell since that was part of the agreement to the truce. I was always confused as to sanctuary and heaven in the diablo 3 lore. Was it sanctuary that the player cast diablo out of in d3 or heaven? Everything was on fire and demons roamed where they didn’t belong. It’s been awhile. Nearly a decade if memory recollects correctly. These steps that Tyrael as a mortal angel climbs at the end of the cinematic - he is returning to heaven then?