The Classes/Skill Variety Is Fantastic

I’m bored and impatient for D2R so am lurking on the Arreat Summit again, this time looking through all the classes skill trees and it never fails to astound me how varied and unique the classes are.

Really, this game truly earnt its place among the greats.

6 Likes

Yes, the game has a very good skill structure for all the classes. I think the only place where it kind of is lacking, is the fire skills on Sorc. I’ve always found Blaze and Inferno pretty lacking (as skills in general, not the balance of them), and wished that they had Flame Wave spell from Diablo 1 instead. As for the unique nature of the classes, I’m hoping D2R Classic gets shared stash, as the classes were more unique in Classic and pre-1.10.

Part of why I really hope too, they give some balance changes in the future, so many of the unique skills and build structures can shine again as opposed to -insert runeword here- and go.

1 Like

Good points, and I love just how you can find a build to suit you and even excel, I am convinced that there is various skill/equipment/class combos that are still to be fully explored.

I always wished blaze was more like Charge, and you like rocketed through enemies damaging them and leaving a trail of fire.

My last trip on Bnet was last year, and I always found Tiamat’s Rebuke as an inferior shield, especially compared to a HoZ or even a Mosers (love the res potential on it with high block chance). I ended up playing a build based around Zeal and Conviction with the Tiamats (I’m typically a Zeal/Fana Pally) paired with Ginther’s to start. It did ok up until Act 2 Hell, where I found a Jah in Ancient Tunnels and rolled a Dream Helm and traded up to a Lightsabre, and build did really well until Chaos, where I traded up to Azurewrath.

As cool as the Tiamat’s was in the build, the Dream is what really made the build tick.

1 Like

See it’s players experiences like that, that I love. That is what Diablo games should be.

Hence why there is a lot of passion, both negative and positive. D2 had a few eras, some of us remember certain eras more fondly than others. To be honest, after 1.13 came out and playing for a few months, I really thought I was done with the game. Picked it back up in 2018 for a season, then a couple of months on bnet last year before switching the single player mods (Succulent and Plugy), then goofed around earlier this year with PD2 single player to get an idea of what QoL that they added and wondering just what D2R would add.

Really, my biggest gripes with the current game are pretty much how funneled the itemization became for weapon based dmg skills due to the synergy system being overbalanced towards caster dps, the ladder gating which discourages NOT playing seasons and constantly resetting, and too many synergies limit and discourage use of skills that made the game more unique and dynamic in party play (A sorc used to be able to level enchant for party buff in addition to mainskill, T-Storm, A Shield, and Mastery, now you dedicate an entire build around it for limited use). Personal loot would be a distant other, the looting never bothered me pre-1.10

Yes it has, it’s great to play the game. I’m taking a break from the series until resurrected comes out.

Yes, and if you make a mistake in selecting between all those options and weaken your character over time, good thing ® there’s a respec. Or, I suppose, a new character to start all over with.