The Burning Need For An Agree/Disagree Button(s)

Sure. We are kinda discussing the rules of the forum here. Blizzard seem to want people to discuss things rather than just express Agree/Disagree.
Hence, the lack of a downvote, and the 20 character requirement. And Blizzards general dislike for poll threads.
Which I agree with.

Can also mean people are lazy and will rather click a button than elaborate.
It diminishes the deliberation of the forum.

Blizzard wants people to obey the rules with minimal input. They donā€™t give a popcorn fart about the relative merits of vast majority of what is posted here. Diminishing the deliberation of these forums would be like besmirching the virtue of Snidely Whiplash. That boat has sailed and gone down with all hands.

1 Like

Might certainly be true. No reason to push it further down though.
Once in a while decent discussions happens here :smiley: Whether Blizzard cares is another topic.

The facepalm exists though not clearly it almost looks like heā€™s sticking his finger up his noseā€¦ :man_facepalming:

Pick me a winner! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

After reading most of the posts in this Agree/Disagree Topic, I have to agree we need the thumbs down button back again. :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: I donā€™t think anybody would disagree with that and if you do here is a :-1: for old times sake!
:100: :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Converting the forum to an ochlocracy would not make things better. In the old forum, many people had multiple accounts/multiboxers. Often if someone disagreed with them, those posts would get 4 quick dislikes and their post 3 quick likes. Also, there was numerous cases where specific posters were unfairly ganged up on.

The more that we promote civility and tolerance of otherā€™s views (as long as the posts follow the rules) the better.

In response to another post, people who abused the dislike feature in the old forum invariably also posted in the old forum.

If Blizzard made the decision to bring back the dislike button, I would argue that ability to give dislikes be restricted to only people who have NOT been forum banned. The forum CoC is relatively easy to follow.

There are multiple posters in this thread who feel that the downvote button should not return. MissCheetah discussed a bit of history about the removal of the dislike button across Blizzard forums.

The very small minority.

Most people were greyed out for very good reason.

1 Like

Nice post :sunglasses:.

@op - No thanks, donā€™t want to spend time disliking posts from the trolls that are always barraging this forum. They usually comment calling people they disagree with a troll and add nothing to the topic. They are there to simply annoy and be a pest, but since they like to breathe the sweet smell of Blizz flatulence they are allowed to post on unimpeded.

1 Like

I can not recall any post of mine that was grayed out on the old forum; however, I have empathy for those whose posts were unfairly targeted. Certainly, there were troll posts in the old forum that were grayed out for good reason; however, many posts were grayed out because they stated a personal opinion. One topic that I frequently posted on was wanting more stash space and/or character slots. Posts in opposition were often greyed out, even thought it was simply a divergent viewpoint that did not violate the rules.

The US system of justice is designed to minimize false convictions at the expense of letting the guilty go free at an elevated rate. I would argue why have a system in place on the forum that unfairly punishes the innocent. Is it that distressing to read posts that you disagree with?

If you have specific posters you dislike, the forum has an ignore feature that can be used or use the adblock software.

1 Like

If you are constantly getting posts greyed out, maybe you should ask yourself why, instead of blaming down vote abusers. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I think that introspection is important, especially if someone has received multiple forum bans. In terms of having a post grayed out on the old forum, I think less introspection is potentially required as this was split being simply forum members disliking a post, a post worth condemnation, and dislike abusers.

2 Likes

Thank you for making the point for the return of the down vote button.

2 Likes

Some well meaning people just have bad ideas or didnā€™t realize that it had been posted many times in the past.
I donā€™t think they need to be greyed out.
You either respond as to why you think it is bad or just refrain and let it sink to the depths.
Obvious trolls can be flagged and turned over to the Mods.
Concern Trolling is more difficult to identify and those who do it get many responses. Downvote button would not help much with them.
They just play the victim card and claim to be bullied.

1 Like

Runs the risk of clogging the forums with unnecessary discussions.

If only that were true.

They do very little in terms of cleaning up the forums.

There is plenty of that going on, without a down vote button anyway.

1 Like

You have the ability to not read them and what is unnecessary to you may be important to someone else.
I agree that there have been some very long threads that were just a back and forth between two or three posters.
Those threads eventually died (unless Necroed) when the antagonists ran out of steam.
Downvote will not change that as long as they stay inside the lines.
I have seen many moderated posts and deleted threads.
The Mods are there.

Agreed, and so do players whoā€™ve been here a long time.

But remember forum regulars are the minority of the player base. If someone comes looking for information, there are a lot of threads with bad/outdated information.

Also, it appears that the only real objection to the down vote button, is that it will be abused.

Same can be said of flagging, liking, hell, even responding to postsā€¦all of those can also be abused.

Says a lot about what people think of their fellow forum goers, if all some people are concerned about is the worst of them.

1 Like

Since the new forum came into being last year, there is not as much bad/outdated information as the old forum.

In my mind, it is about both abuse and not letting posters silence others by mass disliking other post that are legitimate, CoC-compliant difference in opinion.

Additionally, we have the ability to report posts for misconduct and those reports receive independent review by the forum moderation team. It also have safeguards in place so that false reporters can be sanctioned.

Is the system perfect? No. Can it be improved? Yes.

I think most forum members are respectful. There is a subset that are not. You and I may agree on the identity of some in relation to the quality of their posts. We certainly have divergent opinions on others. If you ask a third forum member, they may disagree with us. Why should you or I or someone else (collectively) decided to hide other peopleā€™ post where no violation of the CoC has occurred?

Iā€™d say the standard of posting has gotten a lot worse.

You just said two things that are the same thing.

A post doesnā€™t have to break the rules to be bad.

Even better question, why shouldnā€™t the members get to decide what is/is not worthy of receiving an up/down vote.

If they trust us to like a post, or not, why shouldnā€™t we be able to dislike a post, or not?

If your answer relates to abuse of the system, or some variation/example of, delete it and try again.

2 Likes

These are not the same thing. In the abuse case, individual(s) are willfully disliking a post to harm/get back at another. In mass disliking, it typically involves an unpopular opinion.

The forum members do not make the rules since it is Blizzardā€™s forum. Blizzard can set it up as they see fit and moderate it as they choose. No one is obliged to post here.