The 4-man Single Class Challenge for S-23

I’m sure many of you have heard of or participated in solo self-found challenges within D2, D3, and other games. Based on the current patch notes (yes there is the possibility for some nerfs to be toned down) Wiz, WD, and Barb (as main DPS) are left out of the standard 4-man multi-class META. My proposal is pretty simple. Make a 4 man group with a single class, figure out how to optimize it and go go go. Any set, gear, and any builds available to the class are allowed.

Why do this?

• We may as well have fun with the toys we have
  • Not everyone likes LoD Skeletal Mage (aka Rat Runs)
  • FB-6 in its current nerf’d state has narrow proc options
  • Not everyone wants to play GoD-6 DH (although the set and builds are loads of fun)
  • Some people like playing their class of choice regardless of the buffs/nerfs
  • Even if the FB-6 nerfs were partially removed, the proc options are still narrow
  • May as well enjoy the new leaderboard filters
  • There is probably enough power creep in the game to allow for 4-man single class speed GRs to run 105 to 115 or 120 in about 1.5 to 2.5 mins. (feel free to prove me wrong)
  • For 95% of the player base there is no way to compete with the 4-man bot army that has 8.5k paragon by week 2 of a new season (just ignore that crap)
  • If this becomes popular/main stream, the devs might consider adding a leaderboard filter for it
  • This is already proven possible with GoD-6 DH, but GoD-6 was very powerful, at the point of it’s introduction, compared to other sets across all classes
  • This was also proven possible with Vyr/Chantodo/Archon a few patches ago

What are FB-6 proc options?
There are a narrow set of ways to trigger the FB-6 proc. and if the name of your class does not contain the letter Z then you have no way to proc FB-6.

How is any of this “proven possible” (air quotes)?
Every class has DPS options, zDPS options, CC and utility skills, ways to stack/amplify party damage, and ways to apply party defense.

So…
Step-1: Optimize it
Step-2: Organize it
Step-3: Go go go!

I heard that 4-man Wiz herd of cats (FB-6 Mirror Images) and 4-man Fire Slice-N-Dice (FB-6 Flameblades) are going to be awesome so I’m going to run with it.

3 Likes

I’d rather lock myself in a room with wild ferrets.

6 Likes

I can recommend otters. they are amazing pets

Revenge of the Otters
Resident Otter
Dawn of the Otter
Otterdraft
Otter Hard
Otter Got Fin…nah nvm
One Night in Otter
Otter of Arabia
X-Otters
Otter Hunter
OtterVision
Otters Infinity War
Otter Jones & the Temple of Doom

oh I can go on all night…

1 Like

you forgot lord of the otters…

1 Like

Yeah this fits in nicely with the spirit of the ladder filter changes - and they could be close to actually having a 2/3/4man same-class filter in future seasons.

What they’ve done with per-set and no-set filter is only the start. Combined with paragon filtering this gets really interesting imo, although I know that filter is controversial.

If Wilson hadn’t under-delivered on PvP costing us low-level PvP dueling and meaningful PvP in general, we also might have seen that whole side of the game open up with team PvP where for sure, there would be some crazy comps.

As we know in so many MMOs and RPGs, the lambs of PvE often turn into the wolves of PvP.

And in another RPG/MMO that shall not be named, there were significant rewards for beating certain objectives using certain group comps - this encouraged the community to get creative to get an XP boost. What often happened was players discovered new grouping synergies with classes that they never would have discovered without doing this although it was usually at a lower level (these were also monthly/yearly type special events).

So that’s the other angle - games with subs or big revenue coming in often have special events where this kind of thing would be great to see imo. The CMs organize it, make it more formal, etc.

For D3, with money in the coffers, I could easily see something like the Easter same-class challenge - completing a GR XXX earns you some kind of cosmetic one-of-a-kind reward or something like Haedrig’s gift etc. Or adding a same-class challenge objective to the seasonal journey.

1 Like

4-person Witch Doctor.

One caveat, all players must use 3 of the same skills and they cannot be Soul Harvest, Piranhas, or Locust Swarm.

Are you guys just bored?.. or angry, bitter, or a mix of all 3?

1 Like

I actually think this is a good challenge BossDogg.

2 Likes

Part of the issue with our METAs in this game is player perception. Once the idea that class A is out of the multi-class meta by a handful of key influential players, the majority of the player community (at lease in the US) tend to follow that idea. It takes multiple sources to test and present a counter idea for it gain traction and popularity. This is what happened in the season where Monk Static Discharge became dominant in the multi-class 4-man meta. In the PTR prior to that patch release Barb HotA was the main DPS with 3 supports. However, once the patch went live it took multiple sources testing here on the US side to see Static Discharge out performed Barb HotA and was more flexible. Barbs were relegated to support mostly once Static Discharge became the META.

Picking a sidelined class for a season is very disappointing and depressing experience. Not everyone is just going to follow the flavor of the month. For those who will play their class of choice may as well enjoy their time with like minded players especially if they are not into playing solo. This is a better option for the community versus stewing in bitterness or just quitting/jumping ship.

Yeah I agree with dmkt and like I said above, wouldn’t surprise me if we could filter ladder based on group comps down the line.

About the first posts - some people apparently have pervy animal fetishes and want to be alone with ferrets in a room doing sordid things. I feel bad for the ferrets.

1 Like

Sorry bud the page update was behind the compose window. I never saw it since I was afk, then came back and quickly posted a comment.

No worries. General can be kind of a clownfiesta for serious posts. Class-specific subs might be better but that would be a PIA. I just hope they do a decent reverse-nerf on FB6.

I posted this in general so I don’t get swatted on the head for cross posting in the class specific forums.

My expectations are real low and this post prepares the community for a possible unhappy outcome. We need to have alternatives.