Tal's after 2.74 patch live

Okay, so since the patch went live today, the 2 and 4 piece descriptions for Tals are different even from the post PTR patch notes? Did I miss something? Meteor must be on the skill bar - guessing this is to keep non-Wizards from benefitting from the set since it’s not a wizard limited set, but it’s totally new since the last patch notes…

1 Like

While the Tal-Rasha set isn’t a wizard’s only set (as in other classes can wear the set, except for the orb), the set bonues of the Tal-Rasha set were always wizard’s only. As such, other classes wouldn’t be able to make use of the set bonuses, even if they wore pieces of the set. Most likely the additional changes (the ones not shown in the season 27 preview blog) were made to give meteor further importance in players using tal-rasha, enough so that they would actually use the skill in the build.

Prior to this patch, there were some tal-rasha builds that didn’t even require having the meteor skill in a player’s skill bar. Now however, meteor is not only required to be on the skill bar, but it’s also necessary to use it in one’s rotation, at least it is thanks to the changes to the Mempo helm.

But in short, yeah these changes were definitely new as far as I’m aware of.

1 Like

I am not in game, and can’t see any changes in the news section. Could you please post or tell what changes are made? Thanks in advance.

it effectively kills Archon builds, which “pro” players asked for. well sort of…

Here’s an image:

In the season 27 preview, the changes to Tal-Rasha were:

• Tal Rasha’s Elements (2-piece bonus): Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will grant immunity to that element and cause a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. The same meteor cannot happen twice in a row.
  • Tal Rasha’s Elements (4-piece bonus): Arcane, Cold, Fire, and Lightning attacks each increase all of your resistances by 50% for 8 seconds.

Now however:

• Tal Rasha’s Elements (2-piece bonus): Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire, or Lightning attacks will grant immunity to that element and cause a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. This only occurs if the Wizard has Meteor on their action bar, and the same meteor cannot happen twice in a row.

• Tal Rasha’s Elements (4-piece bonus): Arcane, Cold, Fire, and Lightning attacks each increase all of your resistances by 100% for 8 seconds. Attacking with Meteor reduces the cooldown of Teleport by 1 second.

11 Likes

Thanks, Oblivion for posting the actual changes :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ll tack on here with some testing results with the new Mempo of Twilight:

-you get 7 meteors of the rune on your bar, and they do the weapon damage of that rune, not the reduced weapon damage of the Meteor Shower rune. Notably, this includes the bigger damage of Star Pact (+AP bonus) and Molten Impact.
-if you put the Meteor Shower rune on your bar, you do not get additional meteors on top of the 7 meteors you were already getting from Mempo of Twilight. It doesn’t double up the Meteor Shower rune, you still just get 7. And notably, it gets the reduced weapon damage of the Meteor Shower rune if you run that one on your bar, which is significantly lower weapon damage compared to any other rune. If you want to run a non-Molten Impact fire meteor, you should just go for unruned meteor to get the higher base weapon damage. There’s no reason to run the actual Meteor Shower rune with Mempo of Twilight, it’s just strictly worse.
-The TR2 meteors get the 400% damage bonus from Mempo, but do not get the extra meteor shower meteors.

11 Likes

Excellent ninja changes!

Listened to even more feedback, great to see…and then they doubled it

Honestly at this point, little more damage love for DMO, lots of more love for Vyrs and some more damage/utility for Typhons and wizards will be completely done and fully polished…just in time for D4! :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies- and it’s the starter set for season so…plan made :grin:

2 Likes

Absolutely perfect, man they really did it gotta hand it to them.

Let’s rock some Tals this season, finally!

I must say though, hopefully all this “kill archon” results in an epic Vyrs buff in the future.

1 Like

Well, I appreciate the extra toughness… the set needed that. That you now need the Meteor skill on the bar is okay as well. If you want to play Meteor you have it anyways, so no downside. What bothers me is how they went for Teleport.

I would have prefered some “For X seconds after casting Meteor, Teleport has no cooldown.” kind of effect. Or “while you maintain this bonus, Teleport cooldown is reduced by X seconds (or XX%)”…

The way they went at it sounds simple enough, but it’s quite nasty of them to do it this way. Teleport has an awful long 11 second CD and if manual casts of Meteor reduce it by 1 second you will feel grounded quite often. Meaning this set still feels “lame as a snail” because you need to walk more than you can actually use Teleport.

The TR2 meteor also reset the cooldown.

With a manual cast + a few TR2 meteors each taking 1 second off, you take a good chunk off the cooldown. When you are actively casting on a pack, it resets very quickly.

Same problem as DMO, it doesn’t help when you don’t have stuff around (to proc TR2 meteors for extra time off the teleport cooldown), but it does give pretty fast resets in combat.

2 Likes

Quite honestly, it’s a shame that the teleport skill itself didn’t get adjusted (cooldown lessened and/or given charges) and/or that aether walker didn’t have a damage buff, that affected all wizard skills, attached to it. Instead, it looks like the sets have to have some teleport cdr mechanic placed in. Only one that’s missing that now is the Typhon set.

4 Likes

Okay, if autocast meteors also work, that’s a little better. Would leg. Etched Sigil casts work as well, then? Hmm… still, I detest this kind of BS. Tell you what, I would have added a shoulder piece for this. Tal Rasha has no shoulder, and the only option is either a channeling item (MoC, useless now) or Aughild (also nasty, needs RoRG)…
Why not just have a shoulder with a power like “Wave of Force teleports you to a destination within 60 yards before releasing the shockwave”. Job done. That would be absolutely ideal for Tal Rasha, simple and straightforward. Esspecially if they brute force this two 2H crap on us. Aetherwalker is out by Smoldering Core… the dps would need to be high enough and once they do something like that, several other legendaries need an update as well… lol.

I just checked, and yes, legacy Etched Sigil meteor casts also reduce the teleport cooldown.

EDIT: should note that legacy Etched Sigil meteors don’t inherit the Mempo of Twilight Meteor Shower though.

4 Likes

the season preview tells about changes done with this patch and the new season theme

The season 27 preview blog doesn’t include the changes that were ninja’d in with this patch. At least it doesn’t as of this moment.

I gotta say, the carpet of Comet shards does look pretty dope:

3 Likes

I had a similar thought to comet and Starpact, especially seeing the tails of the starpact meteors. Probably the coolest thing I saw in D3.

I slapped together some random crap build with Firebird, TR2 and Meteor items. Not ideal rolls, just to test things. Did a 115 120 or something with that. Feels weird, but works somehow…

1 Like