Tal vs Typhon Speed Builds?

I’ve read that the Typhon hydra set is the fastest wizard speed build. I was wondering does Tal have a speed build variant and how much slower it is over the hydras?

Thanks

Typhon’s is faster for bounties, T16 rifts, and GR90s. Just drop your hydras and keep on moving.

With Tal’s you can drop Smoldering Core for Aether Walker and do something like 110s. In S28 you could probably do 120s or something.

You can wear Aether Walker and equip Tal’s source, that actually opens up a lot of gearing options. Here’s the variant I usually use. For lower tiers, I’d switch to lightning. For higher tiers, I just use cold. You can change it up a bit if you want to slot Aughild’s or Guardian’s, but for speeds I really like the consistency of F/R instead of some sort of CoE + RoRG setup.

2 Likes

So you’re saying the best low content farming would be Typhons and the best higher end farming to use Tal?

I’m just thinking what set to augment? If Tal isn’t much slower than hydras then I might just play Tal exclusively once I have farmed up everything. Or do you think hydra is just much better at speed content that I should just swap back and forth?

Yeah, you can use Tal’s for T16 if you really want. It won’t be as efficient as Typhon’s (or UE, GoD etc.) but it’s not too bad.

If you do use it for T16, you’ll definitely want to use lightning meteors to speed things up a bit.

That being said, you don’t have to augment for T16. You could augment Tal’s first and if you end up with enough augments later on, then augment Typhon’s too. Or just leave Typhon’s without augments, it still more than enough damage for T16.

I was thinking of augments for GR speeds as opposed to T16 so I can push higher level GRs for speed farming.

For Solo Exp Tal Rasha Meteor is better. You play much higher with a longer clear time, but still you get much more exp/hour.

For Bounties/T16 and GR 90 gear farming Hydra is the fastest Wiz build.

With the season 28 buffs, do you think Typhon can clear 105+ fast? Like <2mins

Yeah definitely.

I just tried a 105 on live, did it in 2 min.

That was at 4k paragon, but the season 28 buffs are worth more than my paragon anyway.

I’d think in S28, 2 min 105s should be pretty comfortable with Typhon’s (with Aether Walker).

I can’t make up my mind on starting a Wiz or DH… I feel Wiz (Tal Rasha) will have an easier time doing gr150 compared to GoD DH, getting that gr150 done early in the season will help a lot when playing other classes later on… easy 150 augments/legendary gems etc…

2 more days to decide! :coffee:

1 Like

Tal will have a WAYYYYYYY easier time than DH. Just watch the Raxx and wudijo videos.

2 Likes

I had my mind set on starting on DH, as I usually do, but after playing a bit with the buffed GoD and UE after patch yesterday I’m in doubt… especially since the new Nats isn’t working so well as expected.
In s27 I played DH and got gear for both WoL monk and Tal Rasha. WoL with close to perfect ancient gear worked so well that I didn’t really get to play Tals.

Comparing some 120 runs with both UE and GoD to a Tal Rasha 120 on normal now, the Tals run is much smoother and easier on the hands (I tend to press too hard on the mouse keys when attacking). The latest season I played mostly wizard was S24 with Firebird and ethereals.

GoD has a higher maximum speed than Tal’s, but Tal’s has higher top-end damage. Comparing on the same tier probably isn’t quite fair, for farming efficiency you’ll want to run lower and faster on GoD, higher and slower on Tal’s.

E.g. in S28 you might run 3-3.5 min solo 130s on Tal’s, and 1.5-2 min solo 120s on GoD. Just kind of guessing on those numbers, but I think it’s safe to say GoD can run 1.5 min faster but 10-15 tiers lower. But using those numbers (~24 GR120s/hr with GoD vs. ~15 GR130s/hr with Tal’s), you’d get comparable XP/hr in both cases (~6T/hr with perma pools). I think Tal’s may even end up running a bit higher, so I suspect it may pull ahead in XP/hr, but I don’t think there’s a gigantic difference.

Comparing them at the same tier isn’t really a good way to go about it. You have to play to their strengths. Tal’s is slower, has a speed floor where you can’t really consistently clear faster than 2.5-3 min no matter the tier unless you swap in Aether Walker. GoD is super faster on lower and mid tiers, but just can’t compete with Tal’s once you get into the 3+ minute range and the higher damage from Tal’s takes over…

The faster clears with GoD can be a pretty significant advantage though, depending on where you are in your seasonal progression. More clears/hr means more loot and more shards. And in a season with a Kadala buff node, those extra shards/hr are pretty significant, at least while you are still perfecting your gear. By late season, XP/hr wins over everything else, but in the gearing phase clear speed matters.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying Tinne and agree completely. My Tals build even has zero augments, only few ancients and Guardian bonus instead of Aughild’s. So much weaker than it could be.
I know that GoD is a great farming build but I’m sure there are great wizard speed builds with Typhoon and Tal Rasha too… and they may even be less straining for the fingers on top of that.

Would it be beneficial to run Typhons Hydra set for longer in the early stages (even once you have the Tals pieces) to maximise loot / hour? OR is the GR limit too low for hydra?

It’s a bit on the low side with Aether Walker.

And without, there’s no real good reason to run hydras over the full Tal’s build, speedwise they end up about the same, if not a little faster with Tal’s because of the teleport resets from Tal’s 4p.

Personally, I’ll probably transition to Tal’s with Aether Walker and run mid tier speeds with that for a while at the start of the season until I have most slots ancient. Tal’s with Aether Walker is a bit slower than Typhon’s with Aether Walker, but Tal’s can run a bit higher. I think Tal’s with Aether Walker is a bit of a better balance of loot vs. XP.

Typhon’s with Aether Walker = maximum loot
Tal’s with Aether Walker = medium loot, medium XP
Tal’s with Smoldering Core = maximum XP

1 Like

Ok so it sounds like the best bet is most likely to transition out of hydra as soon as you have all the necessary components for Tals then?

That’s not unreasonable.

Hello guys! So i wanted to start with dh but after nats build i won’t… So my other 2 options are wizard or monk. I really like super fast builds for farming Bounties, keys and gem leveling (played GoD and Innas a lot). I really like the Wizard and want to try the Tal rasha build, but how about wizards fast farming builds? Is the Hydra build fast enough for someone who likes fast farming or will i get bored? I could go Monk but i read that WoL is a hard to get build and quite difficult to play. Thanks in advance!

For bounties, nothing is even close to the same tier as Inna6/Raiment4 Infinite Dash Water Ally.

Bounties/T16 rifts it goes: Inna6/Raiment 4 >> GoD/UE > Hydra etc.

For super speed GRs, wizard also just can’t match the DH and monk builds. Even Typhon with Aether Walker can’t quite match the top end speed of GoD/UE/WoL etc.

DH and monk are just better at those 60-90 second GRs. Wizard ends up more like 90-120 seconds.

Tal’s is a great solo speedfarming build, but you run slower and higher tiers for really good XP.

Wizards just don’t really have any solo speed GR builds that can match the top end speed of DH or monk on intermediate GR tiers.

1 Like

Since almost all of your damage comes from your Hydras how does that work? Do you keep dropping Hydras? Do you buff them (with Arcane Dynamo passive)? Cast Blizzard? Perhaps there’s a good video of the play style? Sadly I find Typhon’s a reliably tanky but slow build – at least the way I play it. I’d love to find another option than Aether Tal’s for speed farming.