Suggestion - Remove arrow/bolt quantity

My suggestion that d2r shouldn’t have this really outdated mechanic where you run out of arrows or bolts.
I was thinking about it but didn’t find a single positive thing about it. Feels just like an inconvenience. Either you buy a ton and it takes up a lot of your already limited inventory or buy barely and you run out of it fast if it doesn’t drop or you forget to loot it.
Your combat capability is not altered by it much, so i don’t think it would cause any issue, there your potions have a huge impact not the arrow u stack up.

(alternative idea: make an separate inventory where you can stack up multiple ammo and dont worry about running out if it soon)

If you have any suggestion regarding this or against my idea please share your thoughts.

1 Like

Magic Arrow
9 characters required

1 Like

I think bolts and arrows were functionally just an alternative to durability for ranged weapons in additional to the thematic aspect of them.

I do think there could be some minor QoL improvements potentially. I wouldn’t care if they got rid of them entirely but it seems unlikely. Maybe a stack size increase? Would also be nice for javelins.

4 Likes

Yeah stack size increase also sounds a good idea, i would be okay with that too

1 Like

I don’t see why the stack size couldn’t be doubled to 500. Wouldn’t be a big deal for this change.

D2 is supposed to be a slower paced game where you don’t just spin to win and never stop like D3.

Going to town more often was a planned part of the game. Limited inventory space, need to ID items, need to repair, need to stuff gold in stash so it does not drop if you die, need to sell stuff, need to get ammo.

I personally think having unlimited ammo takes away from a core part of D2 and the feeling of having a ranged physical weapon.

My usual is to stock some in the stash early on just in case I forget. Then use the Weapon switch tab to hold another sheaf of arrows. I try to remember to replenish once in a while from drops as well. I have to play inventory tetris anyway so might as well do arrows and potions while I am at it.

I feel it just fits the pace of D2 gameplay - for me anyway.

12 Likes

They drastically streamlined the player’s task list in d3, and it didn’t directly translate to more fun. While running in D2R, seeing drops of potions, arrows, javelins, etc, I’m thinking that if I pick them up, ill fill up too quick. But then again I might need them in 5 minutes. Making these trivial choices every couple minutes helped keep my mind engaged during the grind.

4 Likes

I feel like D3 actually has a lot of those micro tasks. You need to repair still. You have limited inventory space that you have to manage. The lack of charms, tomes and potions taking up inventory space does simplify it significantly, especially the potion side of things early on.

D2 not having a salvage system makes leaving things behind not really feel as bad though. You just weren’t going to do anything with it anyway and only certain items have higher gold values to make vendoring worth your time. In D3 I pick up every legendary and set item even though I’m going to salvage 99% of them.

D3 town micro tasks do typically reduce down to stash some items and salvage everything else, repair all at the same npc you salvage at. Kadala and shard storage results in another micro task you have to do frequently in town, but it’s very fast to spam click and salvage all.

I think D3 vs. D2 micro task speed is actually affected more by the distance between things + not being able to teleport in town. There was a reason I always used Act 1 as my base in D3 when rifting. The space between stash/wp/npcs was smaller.

Since bolts, arrows and thrown weapon stacks are essentially just a replacement for durability on ranged weapons, I can at least see an argument for adjusting stack size since other weapon types don’t have to use additional inventory space to manage durability (although durability also doesn’t randomly drop on the ground either). Early on you’ll probably be going back to town far more frequently to get potions or heal than you would need to go back to repair or get ammo anyway. :man_shrugging:

Overall not that big of an issue to me either way, especially since they nerfed GA so hard after 1.09 :frowning: I’ll miss all those arrows flying back and forth through enemies.

1 Like

I think it works fine for me, sure is sometime annoying for not having bolts and arrows but it wasnt as bad as having to pick up golds one by one, which is improved with autopick now.

1 Like

Removal of Arrows/Bolts is honestly something I would not miss to be honest.

1 Like

What about adding Magic Arrows as drops? I think it would be cool (and fair), if once in a while, I could equip Magic Arrows that would last and last, maybe add some damage(based on Ilvl). Not as a skill, but as an actual magic item that could be used for any character. They would never run out, but could be lost, if ya die(or, get pk’d).

One might find Fire Arrows, or Explosive Bolts. Since arrows drop already, as a matter of course, how hard would it be to make some of them be magical, just as some Javelins are?
Could be a nice addition to the game.

2 Likes

I like it that in D2 I need to think about that. potions, scrolls vs inventory space.

Yes, probably an old school thinker, something really need to stay for the old school feel.

I actually thought still clicking “arrows” on the ground but instead it filling your quiver if you did instead of going to inv isn’t a bad idea.

Keeps the flow moving a little better while still requires you to actually seek out arrow drops for replenishment without the inv Tetris

1 Like

I didn’t test an amazon in the Beta, does it not do this? I’m pretty sure legacy LoD already will refill your equipped quiver first until it hits the cap, and anything left over is placed in your inv.

Yes, I played a bow zon briefly in beta and it works exactly as it used to as far as I recall. Arrows you pick up first fill your equipped quiver to full, then leftovers end up in your inventory.

The arrow indicator on the skills only shows your equipped quiver arrows, not the total of any arrows in your inventory. When the equipped quiver gets to 0, if there is another quiver in your inventory, it automatically equips it I believe.

2 Likes

Didn’t do it when I ran a bow with new chars in beta for leveling.

Arrows went into inventory which you then had to place them to the arrow slot to fill the quiver.
But this was console, maybe it’s diff on pc

Should just auto fill your quiver slot and not go to inv at all when clicking on an arrow drop I think

I agree with others it should stay how it is. People often intuitively think something that is annoying should be automated, but they don’t realize how sometimes these little things add to the game.
It’s more realistic to run out of arrows, but it’s something to keep track of and manage. It keeps players engaged with decisions. Automating enough stuff you would start to realize how much simpler and more boring the game becomes

1 Like

This. D2 is a lot more like an actual RPG than most modern ARPGs. I don’t understand why people want to take away things like ammo or potion management. You don’t go sit in on someone else’s D&D campaign and start telling the DM that he shouldn’t use rules out of the rule book because they’re “outdated.” It adds a touch of realism when you don’t have a potion or your quiver is empty.

3 Likes

I think the best thing with arrows would be to allow for magical quivers:

Fire arrows: Fires Level 1 fire arrow
Cold: Fires level 1 cold arrow (150 arrows)
Magic: Fires level 1 magic arrow (150 arrows)

Rare Quivers could be:
Fire: Level 1 Exploding Arrow (50 arrows)
Cold: level 1 Ice arrow (though seems a bit strong this one) (50 arrows)

For amazon using that skill it could just mean +1 to that skill, if she is using another skill than they stack.

Additional stats could be that unique ones replenish quantity over x seconds.