Suggestion : Make full offline mode and allow modders to save this ship

They do sometimes end up making amazing games like Counter-Strike. A lot of Valve’s games were originally mods that they hired the developers of.

The people who made the excellent Long War mod for XCOM are now making their own game too.

I’m also not sure what you quoted has to do with modders being amazing.

I was mostly pointing out that Heroes of the Storm is a mediocre at best game and calling it DotA wouldn’t have changed that or saved the game.

Some modders get hired by developers because of the quality of their work. Some even make the game do things that the developers had no idea the game engine could handle.

I am afraid it does matter. If there is a way of making a mod making tool where the part that is suppose to block it is the heart of the mod making tool. That if it is disabled, altered, or removed the entire mod making tool would allow a mod to be made.

Designing it in a way where the only way anyone could get around it would be they would have to redesign it from the ground up. Actually making a different tool than the one that I actually made.

When it would no longer be my mod making tool then it wouldn’t matter if they are able to use that tool. Since it would have to be altered to a point where it really wouldn’t be my mod making tool anymore.

If it is not separate clients then players will find a workaround.

Now you are using a straw man by saying that I have to read all post on PvP. That would be the same if I wanted to know what the majority think of the WoW is dying posts. To you the only way to know it would be to read every post on the WoW forums on all subjects just to know what the majority say about any given subject. That is crazy and you know it.

When it is about a given topic such as cheating in PvP in D2 and I see more than enough threads telling the honest player the same thing. To make private games and only allow those that don’t cheat in with a password. Along with other posts here on these forums that said that after players had gotten to the level that they wanted to the only other activity was PvP. So they would start PvP’ing with friends.

Now call them a liar for all I care. But when I see more than enough threads and posts without anyone disagreeing with them. Unlike the WoW is dying where I see the majority disagreeing that tells me that it is indeed the truth of the matter. Maybe not the whole story, but that part of it is indeed true.

You miss my point entirely, they don’t get anything out of cheating. They will likely suck at playing without those cheats. It would be like saying that you have a legit player of D3 and a botter. Now if the botter stops botting and the legit players both play for the same amount of time in a season. Then there is a good chance that the legit player will surpass the botter by a mile.

Oh I see i now, a group of monkeys could just dance on the keyboards and write the most stable programs in the world. Heck I wouldn’t even need to study programming languages like C++ and Java in order to code things. Just dance on the keyboard and I could write programs much better than someone with degrees could do.

Why because programs have no set rules that govern how a program works. The developers of software don’t set any rules that govern how a program works. That is what you are telling me, zero rules. It is a wonder than how any program can do what it does. I am talking about more than just gaming software here. Even though it goes against the very definition of what a computer program is. A set of instructions that is used by a computer to carry out a task.

This means that you will have to get the dictionaries to change their definition of what a computer program is.

Either programs are a set of instructions that a computer uses to carry out a task or they are not. In order to carry out that given task there must be a basic set of rules that have to be written for the software.

Take Windows 10 OS, if you were to write the next sequel to Windows you would have to code it in a fashion that would make it the next sequel to Windows 10 OS. If you decided well I will write it like I would write a game program let’s say Mass Effect 3 then it wouldn’t be able to function as an OS and you should know it.

Without rules that have to be written into the program that limits what can be done with the program. Then you are saying that all software is just a string of happy accidents. Why even your job is just a string of happy success in your writing programs. No skill is needed at all, no training at all either.

No you have been doing just that saying Blizz take note of others not using it so you must decide not to use it either.

We have given you the reasons why Blizz has chosen not to give it. Much like a parent that tells their child why he/she won’t be getting what they are asking for.

Here again you are saying since you said yes for WoW: Classic you must give us offline mode.

You cant do that. The things a new mod tool would need to do would be basically the same things as the previous mod tool. You would never need to start from scratch.
(though in some cases it might be worth it to start from scratch, and only take inspiration from the previous work, since getting into other peoples coding can be annoyingly difficult. This is also sometimes seen in games, where a new company/group of people take over a game from someone else, and they cant fix issues, because of the challenges of understanding the game code as it is)

No. Why does it make any meaningful difference to you whether there is one or two .exe files?

So they really do get something out of cheating then?

First of all, no that is not what anyone are telling you. Just your usual strawman addled mind.
Second, the programming language sets limitations (though in the end, even the language is changing over time). But outside of that, no, the developers set the limitations themselves with the code they write… and those limitations can always be changed again. Given enough time and effort.

No. It only means you have to understand what it means.
Nowhere in “a set of instructions” does it say that those instructions are bound for all eternity in an unchangeable core structure.

You are seriously googling your talking points now? The War of Dictionaries. It go go into the annals of history.

Nonsense.

More nonsense.

Mostly you have come up with wild conspiracy theories and arguing against reality for how Blizzard isnt having an offline mode.

Only saying that Blizzard has changed their minds before and listened to reason.

There is not a way to do this when you’re running a P2P system that has everything running on the player’s computer.

If it were possible to design something so that the only way around it was to rewrite the entire thing from the ground up don’t you think DRM would be uncrackable by doing exactly what you say this mod making tool should do?

Why does Denuvo get cracked within a week if this is so simple to do?

They could make it separate things on the battle net launcher if people are naive enough to think that makes a difference.

Wouldn’t be the first time a developer did something largely cosmetic for the sake of people who don’t know anything about coding.

Yeah I know it’s crazy, but you’re the one who started talking about needing to read every post to know the community’s take on if WoW is dying or not.

I just applied your own logic back at you, and you called it crazy.

I saw more than enough threads about WoW dying too.

Also they’re not liars. They’re just not representative of the playerbase as a whole.

Do you really not grasp the concept that less than 1% of the playerbase isn’t representative of the entire playerbase?

You miss my point entirely which is that people don’t fit into your nice little table of reasons to cheat or not.

People cheated in Diablo 2 even though there was no competitive reason to do so.

You can not like it and think it’s not logical but that doesn’t change that it happened. People cheat in video games even when you don’t think there is a good enough reason to do so.

I also knew plenty of people who cheated who were fine players. A lot of us map hacked because it was convenient to do so, and Blizzard didn’t really do anything about it.

This has literally nothing to do with what I said, but okay.

Kind of funny when I call you out for taking thing to absolutes, you turn around and take it as an absolute so I guess we at least got that out of this exchange.

I’ve been saying maybe Blizzard should take notes if they can’t handle doing the things other people drone on about being such a huge problem that they can’t have offline modes in.

Personally I have more faith in them then that and believe they’re not doing it for other reasons.

I’m saying that because Blizzard changed their minds in response to fan feedback, it’s within the realm of possibility they’ll do it again.

Blizzard would change Diablo 3 to include an offline mode in a heartbeat if they thought it would be profitable regardless of what they’ve said in the past.

Windows has been rebuilt from the ground up a couple of times now. The Kernel for Windows 10 is nothing like the one for Windows 95. They’re not even the same kind of Kernel.

and Windows 3.1 wasn’t even an operating system. It was a program that ran on DOS.

There’s a reason why Windows has compatibility mode for older programs, and a reason why half the time it doesn’t even work properly. There’s also a reason why we’ve just given up on very old games and run DOSBox now, because it better emulates the old operating system than Windows does at this point.

So they really don’t have to code it in a fashion that would “make it the next sequel”. They just have to call it Windows and increment the number. Apparently they don’t even need to increment the number by +1 every time and can just skip numbers too.

Also if you want to get into the whole idea of something resembling a “core” versus a chaotic mess we’re going to need to start talking about procedural programming versus object oriented programming at some point.

Look at my above reply to Cyonan and see what I am talking about. That will make a big difference.

Good you know that some cheaters are smart enough not to get caught. That is progress, maybe in time you will see the light.

I can understand why players do it when there is a clearly definable reason that isn’t just because we can or for the fun of it. When there is a clear benefit, paragon and leader boards I am looking at you. Then it makes some sense. Otherwise it doesn’t make a lot of sense in an online only game without that kind of competition where your would get caught very fast and the account would get terminated.

Core is an important part of something. Programs have to have some kind of core or important part. That without that part the program wouldn’t function at all.

Now you are seeing the light, well there is hope for you after all.

Look I will make it real easy for you hear. Be perfectly honest with me by answering this question. If some other form of progression other than paragon existed. A system that is not about unlimited power. Would the bot population drop or remain the same?

It goes back to what someone posted on the older forums. They had mentioned in threads that game company do wind up unknowingly designing their game that encourages cheating. Where cheaters can cheat and not get caught so easily. But if the reverse is true and the game is the polar opposite. Then the cheaters go down by a mile.

Since neither of us are hackers then go ask one for all I care.

Not close enough where there would be no need for a lead developer like Josh to do the work of porting it.

The unmodded version wouldn’t recognize the mod or vice versa. I do remember someone saying that for Median a long time ago. Otherwise you could actually play Median XL sigma on the closed battlenet.

Again you miss the point, Median is just a mod not a mod making tool. If someone were to mod Median and change it to make it identical to one of the other mods out there could they call it Median XL Sigma? I don’t think that they could do that.

You are thinking of all online versions. Versions that are separated by being on a different server. That is unless you are saying the the hardcore version is being run on the same server as non hardcore. That the season is being run on the same server as non season. That is a separation without clients needed to be separated.

But not with offline mode. If it existed then you would have to have two separate clients that are not allowed to talk to each other before it would work.

As far as I am concerned they do. Otherwise it is saying some games have not been designed to encourage cheating like others have said for years on the older forums.

Naksiloth and me are talking about how the program is written, not the language it is written in. An online only title would be vastly different than an offline only title.

I think you are missing the point here. Okay then you are saying that a game that is designed as being offline only can, without any changes be made into an online only game. Or I can take a game like Mass Effect 3 and make it into an OS for Windows or Linux without any changes at all right.

Yeah keep telling yourself that it can’t happen. I guess if D3 ever did get an offline mode and any of the things that me and naksiloth said came to pass you wouldn’t even notice it as being real. Or maybe you might not be here on the forums at all.

Take a closer look at the OP and you will see that this thread is not about D4, it is about D3.

Blizz wouldn’t be in business for 20+ years if they only made mistakes.

It all goes with protecting your IP. Blizz has chosen to protect their IP by using online only.

Oh and why haven’t we seen ban waves at the end of every season for D3? Where are their priorities for this game, they seem to be non existent to a lot of players that post here.

So that means that Blizz would just let the cheaters cheat with impunity.

That is only one console, if the PC version had it as well then these threads would no longer exist and you know it.

Look I was talking about the list of games that was mentioned. Now if I have to treat you like I am talking to a computer then here goes. Show me using links where the Witcher series started online only on the PC then added offline mode. I want you to do the same with Grim Dawn, Conan Exiles, Pillars of Eternity series. Do that with those games then you have a point.

That is why more is needed than just separating the clients. You would have to have it where both offline mode and online mode wouldn’t be able to recognize each other even though they are the same game. Making it like the online speaks English and the offline speaks Russian. Without any way of translating from one to the other that would make it impossible for one to effect the other.

I say a good reason is needed. When considering that you are risking your account if you get caught doing it online.

This part is true when considering the original maker of D2’s popular mode Median XL Sigma was hired by GGG to work on Path of Exile IIRC. Don’t know if he is still working there now or not.

That his not a tool to make mods. That is a DRM program that is not used to write other programs or make mods.

We are talking about a single subject here, not multiple subjects or multiple games.

I don’t need to know the entire player base to know how some handled the cheating in PvP in D2. All I need are a few things that would tell me that truthfully.

Please be honest with me would the bot population drop like a rock if a different method of progression other than paragon, a system that isn’t about unlimited power existed, or would it remain the same?

If the map hacks made leveling a lot faster than doing it without them. Then I could say that if you tried to compete against someone that never used them and played the most efficient way possible you could get beaten by the legit player. That is why I mentioned that experience about someone that I know that played Neverwinter Nights trilogy with cheats before Neverwinter Online existed.

This is still saying that they must do it because others have done it. Blizz you must join the bandwagon. You have no choice, abandon all hope, abandon free will at this point right.

Now you are beginning to see the light. The amount of resources needed to do such a thing. Along with the fact that consoles already have D3 with offline mode. Along with all of the other problems then you will see why they won’t do it.

Fascinating video games can be called OS and OS can be called video games without any changes made to the other. I am talking about how each are designed for a different purpose. To carry out different tasks.

Okay but you’re talking about designing something in such a way that any and all alterations to it would cause the program to become non-functional.

So why can’t DRM implement that if it’s so easy to do?

Some != the playerbase as a whole.

To keep going with the WoW thing, I don’t need to know the entire playerbase to know that WoW probably did die to some people who quit playing in Vanilla or TBC and never re-subbed.

but some isn’t representative of the whole, and as somebody who actually played online Diablo 2 there was a thriving PvP community in public matches filled with people both with and without hacked items.

Considering botting was rampant in Diablo 2 even on non-ladder? It might go down, but I doubt by any significant amounts.

Do you want to know why people cheated so much in Diablo 2?

Because they could get away with it. I map hacked in Diablo 2 and I admit that now because we all knew Blizzard didn’t ban people for it back in the day. Blizzard didn’t ban you for running a Pindle bot. They didn’t ban you for using white rings.

You talk about how the reason isn’t good enough to risk your account, but if Blizzard doesn’t even enforce their own policies about botting then there isn’t any risk to begin with.

and we’ve seen in both Diablo 2 and 3, Blizzard does very little to enforce their policies on cheating.

They didn’t make leveling faster since we were item farming. It was for running bosses over and over again like Mephisto where you had to go through several levels of a randomized dungeon first.

The other thing about cheating is that people who do things like bot still likely play the game. They still practice and get better at the game. They just bot during the times they’re doing something else.

No it’s not. It’s saying that if what other people are telling me is true, that Blizzard can’t add offline because it would cause too many problems with piracy and cheating then maybe they should look at the companies who can do it.

If people say “I can’t do X because of Y”, then it’s fair game to turn around and go “Well those people don’t have a problem with Y, maybe you should look at what they’re doing”.

On the other hand if piracy and cheating aren’t the reasons for always online, then I guess they don’t need to take notes.

An Operating System is a rather specific thing in software. You can’t actually call Windows 3.1 an Operating System(well you can, you’d just be wrong).

Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 had different purposes, even though they shared similarities and were both called Windows.

Also Windows 8 got drunk and thought it was supposed to be for tablets and not desktop PCs.

and Vista got drunk and forgot it was supposed to work.

1 Like

It is not so much about being smart. More how much the developer will do to catch the cheaters.
Also, yeah, botters and THud users can be difficult to catch.
What you dont see to understand is that those two types of cheats are very very different from hacking items, modifying your character etc.

So you get caught faster if there is no competition? How on earth does that make sense.

Define function?
Not launch at all? Not work as intended?
Like, if Diablo 3 could launch, you could make a character, but you couldnt get XP or levels, would that be part of your “core”?

Anyway, we have been around this before, but game features and code is not the same. You can have core features, but something being a ‘core feature’ in a game (which is still a mostly meaningless and arbitrary concept) does not mean it is part of a “core” in the game code.

Has nothing to do with what you replied to (about being able to cheat online simply due to having an offline mode, which is nonsense).

As for paragon, unlimited power is an amazingly stupid idea that should not exist. With or without botters.

Having an offline mode still does not encourage or enable online cheating.

At least you admit to having absolutely no idea.
The answer is that it is a fantasy you are creating, where people can just hack and modify items and characters online without the server noticing.

No, because… gasp… the server wont allow it… you know, the very thing you seem to believe is impossible in a server/client relationship.

Of course they could do that. Who would stop them?

Damn.
A few things. I am talking about the different platforms. PC, Xbox360, Xbox one, PS3, PS4. Switch.
Second, I would assume Hardcore is run on the same ‘physical’ servers as Softcore is. And season is run on the same servers as non season. But in-game the different modes are kept separate from one another of course.

No… you really don’t.

Maybe dont rely so much on what others have told you, if what they have told you is bogus.
Will more people cheat if you are rewarded/encouraged for cheating? Sure. Will some people cheat even if there is no reward/encouragement? Sure.

Well, they would certainly be different from one another. Vastly different is a meaningless description. How much is vast? 1% difference? 20% difference? 90% difference?
But… you dont need to have Online only or Offline only. You can have Online and Offline together. And no, that does not mean the game has to have twice the size. By far, most of the game will be the exact same.

Strawman.
No, an offline game can, with some changes, be made into an online only game. And an online only game can, with some changes, be made into an offline only game.
It will require some effort for sure, even if you seem to greatly overestimate how much effort it would be.
As shown in my previous post, Ubisoft simply patched out their online only DRM back in the early 2010s.

You can include D3 in this if you want. D3 is an old game. I mostly care about D4. But sure, D3 should have had an offline mode for PC too.
D3 and D4 are still not all games.

Another strawman? Making mistakes all the time does not mean you only make mistakes.

Nonsense. Other companies protect their IPs just fine without using online only. As in, the vast vast majority of game IPs do that.

Show me the hacked items and characters in D3? Seems like Blizzard is trying to make sure you cant do those cheats in D3.
Bots and THud? Yeah, they exist in D3 despite it being online only. And they would still exist if the game had an offline mode.
Whereas hacked items and characters would still not need to exist.
Once again; having an offline mode would result in the exact same amount of server security being needed, and the exact same amount of cheating being possible.

If D3 had an offline mode on PC, the threads asking for offline mode for PC would no longer exist? Cant argue with that flawless logic.

Still doesn’t change the fact that D3 launched as online only, and then an offline mode was added.

Great, you are disproven, and then you start to move the goalpost.

But actually, you made me look at Conan Exiles (since it was the only game I hadnt played). And turns out it is online only on PC. But it has offline mode on consoles!
And to make it even more amazingly funny, someone has apparently modded in an offline mode for PC! :rofl:

I’ll take my point(s) I guess.

For some people, boredom is a good reason.

How does that matter at all for your claim that you can just magically code things to be unmoddable?

Which btw completely contradicts your main claim, that Blizzard cant secure their online servers, if they have an offline mode…

DRM is not a program that makes mods. It is just a program that protects copyrighted property (IPs).

It is harder to do for DRM due to it not being used to make mods. Whereas a mod making tool it would be easier to do.

Plus making it where any attempts to alter it would destroy it would beat the purpose of DRM. Instead you have to find a way to make it like a true Titanic.

I would think that it would drop like a rock. After all what are you gonna get from botting. You are not gonna get any leader board status that matters. Then you are just botting to earn paragon levels which is just a hamster wheel anyway.

Again I say it is not a good enough excuse. Just because you can do it and are allowed to do so since the company doesn’t care is not what I am talking about.

I am sure that there are many other games out there that would ban a cheater so fast your head would spin. This is the environment that I am talking about. Then cheating is not worth it at that point. Then add it won’t help your skills as a player.

What the ones that make the leader boards. That means nothing to me. Because I have seen the leader boards for almost all seasons now and I have seen times where players with around 1,000 paragon difference resulting in the lower paragon being a higher rank than the one higher than him in paragon.

Why bother looking at what others are doing if your purposes for no offline mode is for piracy, cheating other than botting, and not wanting to separate the player base.

Big difference between saying can’t and won’t. Blizz is at the won’t stage not the can’t stage.

You are missing the point, I guess you would use a gun as a hammer and a hammer as a gun right. What I am saying is real simple a program that is designed to be an OS regardless of how it turns out isn’t gonna be called a game program and vice versa.

Just like guns can be used as a hammer, but not as efficient as a real hammer because it is goes against how the gun was designed.

I am talking about being so obvious that you get caught by the game. If there is no competition the cheater might think that he can get away with things that would mark his account as cheating.

Could be anything from leveling to how affixes work. The point is that there is a basic set of rules, core that would control how each would function. Without it you could have all kinds of chaotic swings in damage and toughness in a game like this one.

So you say that having no paragon system or a modified one. Along with a modified or no leader board wouldn’t affect the bot population. I say it would be a huge amount.

It just gives cheaters more tools to cheat. I am wanting D4 to launch with less reasons to bot or cheat.

There are a few facts about hackers that we both know without knowing all of the in’s and out’s.

1.) Hackers are always improving their tools and skills.
2.) Companies are always improving their security and the skills of their workers increase as well.

Median is so vastly different that the closed bnet cannot accept it. That is the night and day difference needed if D3 PC ever got offline mode and you know it.

When a mod is changed where it no longer looks and works as the original mod it was modified from can be called that mod. Otherwise I could say that there is only one mod for D2 Median XL Sigma and I know I would be wrong to say that.

Are you sure that they are the same servers, source to prove it please.

Yes you would because if both are allowed to talk to each other and be together as one. Then you will have workarounds to get the offline cheats online.

I think something you have been drinking as gone to your head. I am not talking about rewards here. I am talking about how a game is designed.

Again be honest here, does paragon encourage cheating?

Have both to let the cheaters cheat and turn the game into a cheater’s paradise.

I am sure that even you don’t know for sure how much effort it would take to do such a thing.

Still patching it out doesn’t entail how much of an effort it took to accomplish such a thing. How much time and money was spent doing it. That is the question that must be answered here.

But you have to clarify what all of the times means to you. Or you can get those thinking that you mean that the company never does anything right at all.

Look I know that you don’t want to allow Blizz to choose to protect their IP by using online only. Along with protecting the integrity of their game. Others here in this thread don’t mind them using it even though they want offline mode like you do. At least say they have the right to make that choice.

Their priorities for D3 are not there, not good enough to warrant giving the PC version an offline mode. That is unless they plan on shutting down the servers.

The only time that the PC version might get offline mode is if Blizz is gonna shut down the servers permanently.

The person I was replying to was talking about those games and I asked that one to show me where they started as online only then either became offline only or added offline mode. That was a simple request.

Also give me a link that shows that Conan Exiles has a mod that makes it able to be played offline.

Not if you have a company that actively bans cheaters.

I know that you think that Blizz can make the perfect separation where no other cheats would be possible other than botting and THUD. I say you are wrong on that point.

Okay but why? Why is is harder?

Let’s hear it from the guy who thinks he knows more about programming than the actual programmers.

I don’t want vague answers of “Well you can’t because it’s different…”. Give me specifics.

Or are you just talking out of your backside?

You can think that but it doesn’t mean a whole lot unless you can explain why cheating was so rampant in Diablo 2 where according to your arguments there shouldn’t be much of a reason to cheat.

Nobody cares what you or I individually think is a good excuse to cheat or not.

People cheat for all sorts of reasons. Not all of those reasons are going to be things you see the logic in doing, but that doesn’t mean that people wont do it just because you don’t think it’s logical.

Because other companies don’t seem to have an issue with those things.

Other people in threads have claimed Blizzard is at the “can’t” stage regardless of what Blizzard has actually said.

I’m saying that IF that is true, then maybe they should look at other companies who don’t have a problem with these things.

but again, if that’s not the problem then it sounds like people need another excuse.

My point is also that Windows 3.1 regardless of how it turns out isn’t gonna be called an operating system because it fundamentally isn’t the same thing.

:rofl:

Leader board status does not matter for anything either.

You keep claiming they cant make an online mode in D4 with the same amount of cheating as D3, if they have an offline mode.
That is indeed a difference.

Separate features might have completely separate code (or rules if you will). Not all of it “controlled” by a “core”. It wont be the same code that makes lvling work, as makes affixes work. They might share some code, or they might not.

It doesn’t though.

No, it is not how different it is, that causes the servers not to accept it. If Median was only 0.1% different from normal D2, the servers still wouldnt accept it.

No, because it is complete nonsense.

Huh. People can call stuff whatever they like, and we cant stop them, even if they are wrong about it. Just like you do with game “cores”.

When HC is crashing, is SC crashing too? When season is crashing, is non-season crashing too?
But no, I’m not sure, and I doubt Blizzard would tell us. It does seem likely that SC/HC/Season/NS runs on the same server hardware, because why bother separating them.

Dont allow the two modes to “talk” to each other… which does not require separate clients.

Very little, is the answer.

Sure they have the right to make mistakes.
As we have the right to call them out on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ConanExiles/comments/a2uj2w/offline_mode/

1. Wont stop people from trying
  2. I thought you claimed it was impossible to detect the “smart” cheaters?

You once again just claimed that a company can simply ban the cheaters?

Also cheats work by modifying the game.

Which apparently you can just design the game so that modifications don’t work and there is no way around it short of re-writing the entire game.

How many cheaters exist in D2, remember you have to include offline as well as online. I think that is gonna be hard to tell just how many of them actually are cheating, by the numbers. That is unless Blizz has those numbers and has released them.

But again just how many are doing it by the numbers in D2. D3 is probably easier for Blizz to learn who is cheating and who isn’t. But then again maybe the bot makers are better at making their bots undetectable than what you would normally think.

Just because others say that Blizz is in the can’t stage doesn’t mean that it is true. I say they are at the won’t stage. If they would’ve done it for D3 they would’ve done it long time ago. The only way D3 will get offline mode for the PC is when the servers are permanently shutdown. That is not a guarantee by any means.

This is indirectly saying that if it is just can’t and not won’t. Then Blizz must give offline mode regardless of their reasons for not doing it.

What was it designed to do, if it was designed to boot the computer and help the computer to run other programs then it would be an OS. It seems that wikipedia.com calls it an OS in the Windows family.

It does to those that want that number one rank.

I am talking about a basic set of rules that every part of the game has to obey. There are different laws or rules for a lot of things in a lot of different places in the real world. The laws that you have to obey just to keep your job is one set of rules. Those set of rules cover a lot of different things. So that means there is a rule for just about everything that you do at your workplace

Wouldn’t it depend on what those differences are.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy.

If they are renting their servers super cheap then it wouldn’t matter if a portion is for SC, HC, Season, and Non Season.

Without separate clients you still could have it where workarounds would exist and that is what hackers would use to get the job done.

What did Ubisoft tell you that it wasn’t that hard. Are you a worker for Ubisoft and are telling me that it wasn’t that hard. I think you are making it up.

And to you no offline mode is a mistake. Which means that Blizz has no right to make any of their games without offline mode. And by that logic all games would in time need to be offline only.

I am talking about catching the obvious cheaters. Actively banning all caught will send a huge messages to those that are hard to catch. Because they know that in time they too could be another one to join the ban list.

Why increase the amount of cheaters to chase after. That makes no sense at all.

Blizzard wont even know how many cheated offline but since there will never be repercussions the percentage is likely higher than online.

Though I know it’s anecdotal, but I met a lot of people who used at the very least a map hack on Diablo 2. It was so common that it was just the expectation that everybody was using one. We all knew we weren’t going to be banned for it.

This isn’t relevant to the point that people cheat even if you think it’s not a “good enough reason” to do so.

You do know I’ve been using the word “if” when I say “IF it’s true and Blizzard has that problem…”, right?

You also know what that word means… right?

It was not designed to boot the computer.

Also no, Wikipedia correctly calls Windows 3.1x an operating environment, which is not the same thing as an operating system. From the page at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_environment

“An operating environment is usually not a full operating system, but is a form of middleware that rests between the OS and the application. For example, the first version of Microsoft Windows, Windows 1.0, was not a full operating system, but a GUI laid over DOS”

Indeed. Just like cheating might matter for those that want to lvl fast/easy, get all items fast/easy etc. Competition is not needed for people to cheat. Not like any of it truly matters anyway.

Being #1 cheater is completely meaningless and pointless. Yet they try anyway. Because they can.
It would continue to happen without leaderboards, paragon etc.

But those laws do not cover what I do elsewhere. There does not have to be any “core” of code that all your game has to follow (outside of the coding language itself, but you already said that was not the “core” you were talking about).
A rule set one place in the code, might be overruled and contradicted in another part of the code.

Exactly. Not the amount of differences, but the type of differences.
Like, in some online games (and offline games) you can mod the graphic files, without triggering any anti-cheat measures. If you modify the code, the exe-file etc., well, unless their online system is terrible, it wont let you in.
(I dont know if D2 lets you modify graphics files for online play).

Telling the truth does make me happy.

It would be a waste of money, even if the servers were cheap. And servers are not cheap. That is why some games dont offer server-based online play.

And maybe pigs could fly. I woulnt worry about such a what if scenario though. Because it would not actually happen.
Just because you can modify your character offline to be lvl 1094024414, does not mean that the online server would ever allow you to do the same online. No matter how many “workarounds” you think you have found.

I literally just said they had the right to make mistakes.

Blizzard really should do that.
Which is again why offline mode is not a problem for the online game. Because anyone modifying their lvls, gear etc. would be obvious cheaters and get instantly banned.

In a weird sense it actually does. The more players you ban, the more new copies of the games you can sell to those cheaters. That is a strategy Blizzard often seem keenly aware of.

Anyway, offline mode is not actually going to increase the amount of cheaters to chase after. The few stupid enough to directly modify the game files (which you can totally do without an offline mode too!), would not need to be chased after, they would just be stopped when trying to log into the servers.

I’m apparently a saint since I never used any cheats in D2, but yeah, maphack was extremely common. I bet HC chicken hack was quite common too. And botting was of course rampant. Not to mention the SoJ duping, which was so freaking common that Blizzard ended up designing the game around its existence.

You’re ignorant as hell with a statement like that… Diablo I and II still have really strong mods going as well as other games from the 90’s like Doom… you’re a damn fool for even suggesting that modding games on PC is dead. What are you? Some console peasant hanging out on his dad’s word processor?

Everyone grab their lolerskates, here comes the bias.

You just mentioned 2 ancient games to prove that something is not dead today. The unintentional irony of your argument is hilarious. Nice one, keep arguing.