Stuck around t4, t5

Is there any hope of finding or crafting a legendary or green 2 handed weapon that a monk can use when I can only fight around t4? I tried t5 and only died once at the very last bounty. Its just to hard cause I can no longer dominate at this level. I do bounties only for the mats needed to craft legendarys

Assuming you mean this character:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Shadowstryk-1174/hero/113019341

What you need for the Sunwuko’s build is this fist weapon, either equipped or cubed:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/vengeful-wind-P4_fistWeapon_norm_unique_02

Also, you need to start enchanting your items. You need sockets in your jewelry and weapon. The weapon needs an emerald and the jewelry needs legendary gems.

Also, many Sunwuko monks use this weapon along with Wave of Light: https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/kyoshiros-blade-P4_Unique_Fist_102

2 Likes

And here are some tips for enchanting:

1. Except for a few special cases, don’t re-roll secondary stats. Most useful stats are primary: things like sockets, crit damage, crit chance, cooldown reduction, etc.

2. Unless all the other stats are correct, it is usually not worth rolling an existing stat higher. This is particularly the case with your main stat (strength, dex, etc.) One exception would be weapon damage, but again, make sure all the other properties on the weapon are useful.

3. Unless you know what you are doing, NEVER ROLL OFF THE WEAPON DAMAGE. That is the +[xxxx]-[yyyy] (element) damage property on a weapon. Otherwise, you will severely nerf the weapon. There are a few instances when this can be done, but you will know it when you come to that situation.

3 Likes

With a full 6-piece set, you shouldn’t be having any problems at Torment 4-5.

Looking at the character TimerWolf linked, I see a few things you can improve:

As a monk, you’ll be looking to run two fist weapons. When using Sunwuko, you’ll need the Vengeful Wind fist (which Timberwolf linked.) As the Sunwuko 6-piece damage bonus is based on Sweeping Wind stacks, the extra 6-7 stacks from the weapon is a massive damage boost. For Lashing Tail Kick, you’ll also want a Scarbringer.

I find that the easiest way to get the fist weapons I want is by using the rare upgrade recipe in Kanai’s Cube. You can craft yellow level 70 fist weapons at the Blacksmith to use for that recipe.

The other key piece you want to use with Lashing Tail Kick is the Rivera Dancer boots. (I’d probably focus all of your blood shard gambling on that.)

You might want to swap from Emeralds in your armor to Diamonds for a bit more resistance.

There are a few defensive legendary gems. I generally like to fit one of them into my jewelry slots for extra toughness.

The Harmony passive is a very popular skill for toughness. When you use it, you want to get a single resist secondary stat on as many pieces of gear as you can. Transcendence isn’t a very strong passive these days. (We’re generally doing our best to reduce the spirit we spend on skills.) The Guardian’s Path is another decent defensive passive when dual-wielding.

none of those links are valid anymore. I have just 5 pieces of that set. I do have the scarbringer legendary. I do not know how to calculate dps of two weapons versus 1. I just went by the fact that sometimes 2 weapons I get more stats. On spending the bloodgems, I am doing the one handed for the vengeful fist? I just spent like 8 mil. on gem conversion so back to doing bounties to be able to afford the enchanting for that socket. ty both for your tips. How should i spend my paragon points and why.

Because of how the forums work, most people can’t post direct links. You’ll have to copy paste the links into a browser window to use them.

Generally speaking, you don’t want to use bloodshards on weapons as they cost 3x the blood shards of armor pieces, and it will include lots of non-fist weapons that aren’t very useful for monks. Use the bloodshards to get things like the Rivera Dancer boots. (Crudest boots are also useful when using Mystic Ally as it doubles the skills power. You can wear one and put the other in the cube.)

For fist weapons, the Kanai’s Cube rare upgrade recipe is a good way to get started. Since you target the weapon type, you’re only dealing with the pool of fist weapons, not all one-handers like when gambling blood shards.

For Paragon, on the core tab, spend as much as you feel you need in Vitality. Eventually, you’ll probably want to max out the spirit and put enough points in run speed to get to 25% with gear, but if feel like you need the hitpoints, start with Vitality.

On the Offense tab, I’d start with cooldown reduction, and then go into crit chance and crit hit damage. (As a rule of thumb, ideally your crit hit damage will be 10x your crit hit chance. So, spend those points to boost up the lower of the two.)

For Defense, I usually go Resist All > Armor > Life % > Regen

For Utility, I’d probably start with Resource Cost Reduction followed by Area Damage.

Looking at your profile, you’ll want to focus on either Lashing Tail Kick or Wave of Light. (Not both — that skill slot would be better served with a utility skill like Dashing Strike or Epiphany with the Desert Shroud rune.) Wave of Light is the stronger skill once fully geared up. (The most popular rune choice for it is Explosive Light, which has a huge AoE radius.) As you start out, it’s probably best to use the skill that you have the most support legendaries for. So, Lashing Tail Kick is probably a good choice right now since you have the Scarbringer.

Wave of Light has different legendaries you’ll be looking for if you decide to go with that skill. You’ll still need the Vengeful Wind, but the second fist you’ll be aiming for is Kyoshiro’s Blade. You’ll also want an Incense Torch daibo in the cube. (Again, using the rare upgrade recipe is a great way to target this.) The Tzo Krin Gaze spirit stone turns Wave of Light into a ranged attack (and boosts its damage) so its another Legendary to look out for.

1 Like

First off tysm for your help. Let me tell you how I’ve survived and fought with a very high percentage of being the victor. I use the terrain to win. I rarely am out in the open cause if they get behind me, I take terrible damage. So although t5 got quite a bit harder, I rarely died, but at t4 I could run through the mobs and pull them with me to a spot of my choosing to fight.
(This is why I asked is there something else I can do to prevent boredum of not being able to advance).

“For fist weapons, the Kanai’s Cube rare upgrade recipe is a good way to get started.” I think u mean take a yellow and make it a legendary?

Is this rivera dancer boots a rare or legendary?
I need gold badly cause of what allot of this or the frigging gems conversion cost. So in utility I put all my points into gold drop.
I need to understand if all of these tips are so that it does not matter if I use the terrain or not. A true tank ( with plate ) doesn’t worry but a monk uses skills to survive. Once I understand what all these tips are going to help me with, it is easier for me to understand the goal.
There is one other question I need help understanding. To get all 6 pieces or finish all 4 chapters in seasonal. the last thing I need says to finish GR solo at level 20- that makes no sense to me. If I can’t get past t5 - how is it possible to get gear, etc, if I have to do that. I have done everything else. I can’t seem to find the 6th piece of green gear I supposedly got, but I have a skill that gives me credit for 6 w/o having it?
And on that link thing, I did copy paste and it still didn’t direct me to a working page. So so u mean for me to use it Outside of the forums? I think I covered everything.

Are all these weapons, armor green or legendary? So I am going outside of the 6 piece green set called Sunwuko?

If you can solo a T5, you can do a GR20. The difficulty you set has nothing to do with GR difficulty. You just have to finish it in less than 15 minutes.
Using the terrain can help, but you will find that in higher difficulties, there are environmental hazards that can kill you if you stick too close to the edges (exploding plants, falling logs and trees, etc.).
Playing too cautiously will slow you down and possibly cause you to fail a GR. It can be better sometimes to die a couple of times and still complete. You do not fail a GR if you die (except in Hardcore), only if you go over the time limit.
Rivera Dancers are Legendary boots.
There is no skill that gives you a 6th piece. That is the Ring of Royal Grandeur. If you did not complete GR20 solo, you did not get the last Gift.
P.S. There are 5 more chapters after CH 4.

As yessquire said, if you can do T5, you can do a GR20.

Yup, that’s the recipe I’m talking about. It’s super useful for getting legendary class weapons. (By the way, you can also get set pieces from the recipe. Set pieces are just a special type of Legendary.)

You probably shouldn’t be using the gem conversion recipe at this point in your progression, as it is very expensive. (And you should never use it on anything but the top tier gems.) You’ll get the gems you need to stuff into sockets as you play.

For gold, that will get a lot easier once you get your hands on a Boon of the Horder legendary gem. To get one, you’ll need to do a Vault Run. (That’s also a great source of gems.) Unfortunately, getting to the Vault does take some luck. You either need to get lucky and have a treasure goblin open one for you, or find a Puzzle Ring (legendary) and pop it into the Cube all alone. (It will consume the ring and open a Vault Portal.)

The Ring of Royal Grandeur you’re wearing lets you get the 6-piece bonus with only 5 pieces. (You’d have gotten 4 from the first two gifts, and must have had one drop the regular way.)

The weapons that have been mentioned are all Legendary (not sets.) Pretty much all of the big class sets have supporting legendaries that make the set more powerful regardless of what build you use. For Sunwuko, it’s the Vengeful Wind fist weapon.

Then, there are Legendaries that will support using certain skills. Each supporting piece you add into your gear will significantly increase your power. Wave of Light has the Kyoshiro fist weapon, the Incense Torch Diabo, the Tzo Krin spirit stone, and the Pinto’s Pride bracers. Lashing Tail Kick has the Rivera Dancer boots, Scarbringer fist weapon, and Gyana Na Kashu spirit stone.

Here are some links to Sunwuko Builds for both Lashing Tail Kick and Wave of Light to give you an idea on what to aim for:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/monk-wave-of-light-build-with-sunwuko-or-inna-set-patch-2-6-5-season-17

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/monk-lashing-tail-kick-build-with-lon-set-patch-2-6-5-season-17

Yes, you’ll need to copy the link, and paste it into the address bar on your web browser.

sory I guess I stated it wrong. Yes I have that ring which makes it possible to have even only 4 pieces to look like I have 6? ( I have 5 pieces) Also knowledge is King. How are ppl to know they can do a lev 20 gr just cause they can do a t5?
I go balls out in a GR. Usually finish with in the neighborhood of 7 min left. So depends on circumstances on how I play. I did notice after I changed my Paragon points to what was suggested, it was easier to survive. But as soon as I got over confident, I started taking big damage. lolol
So I can use the legendary boots w/o it affecting my set bonus.

When you choose a greater rift level, some of the levels will have their equivalent torment levels listed, which should give you an idea of how difficult a greater rift will be relative to a given torment’s regular rift. (When solo, greater rifts are actually a bit easier than the listed torment level as mobs in the equivalent greater rift will have less hitpoints.)

Here is a great overview of all the different difficulties:

http://d3resource.com/difficulties/

Yup. (As long as it still allows you to have 6 pieces of your set — or 5 pieces + Ring of Royal Grandeur.)

I think that everytime you create a new character you should just go with whatever 6 piece set you like or a Legacy of nightmares build with 2 set rings and ancient items only. If you want to beat highier torment levels just use one of the leaderboards builds or play as a support in parties, you can see all builds for support builds in leaderboards 4 man group.