Stop asking for PvP

There is only one PvP style that works. First person shooter. Period.

Diablo and games like it do NOT work with PvP.

Trying to get Devs to even consider PvP will detract from the potential for the rest of the game.

You can’t have a game that offers multitudes of character build options And can have PvP balance.

I want the multitude of build options.
Prioritize a good story.
Variety of builds.
Smooth combat.

You could never sell… PvP diablo… As a stand alone game. So don’t try. It’s lost cause before it starts. Invest time elsewhere.

Every time I see the PvP requests start I cringe and start to lose faith.

27 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3snwli/is_pvp_ever_going_to_return_in_poe_why_was_it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/dr9p17/poe_40_should_be_pvp_focused/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9we58x/poe_still_worth_to_play_pvp/

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2651344/page/1

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/d9nivw/should_ggg_further_develop_pvp_in_poe/

Well said. PoE devs tried to make PVP works and failed miserably in the past for a good reason.

4 Likes

You are too late to the party, D4 will have PvP. I do not care for it but some might want it.

I think, because many people must have noticed that we have the same source of skills, same talents, and same items in both PvP and PvE. So I guess that is a natural question that you would ask. Right? But our goal is to have enough choices and options available for players; and what that means, I think, is the best skills, the best talents, and the best items in PvP would be very different from the set of skills, items, and talents in PvE that are the best.

So the current plan is to make sure to locate issues as they arrive, and strategically make the right tuning choices to make balance good in both formats. Right? So every balance probably is so different. So we will have to see what the problem is, and then fix it that way; but we will have enough tuning nobs across these three systems to be able to balance tune properly. - David Kim

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen in Diablo franchise, that I agree. It seems pvp in Diablo will just not work fluently or properly as they do in, say, WoW. But how is other arpg games doing in terms of pvp? If they have some kind of working model, Blizz can take inspiration from them.

Then again, it also felt like D4 was moving towards adopting some MMO aspect. So who knows if they can make it work without taking ideas from other games.

1 Like

PvP Arenas like the MOBA-s could work, but for open world PvP I am with you - I highly doubt this would work and is needed.

Personally I see nothing wrong with having PvP in the Diablo series, so long as it’s completely optional and nothing gameplay altering is locked behind PvP. No special bosses with unique drops, no special equipment and no skill books.

I don’t care if cosmetics are locked behind PvP, but there better not be anything else that makes it feel mandatory.

10 Likes

Whether or not there will be PVP I don’t know.

I just don’t want to be fooled like Diablo 3, because they said there would be a complete PVP system, with arenas and rewards, and then they gave up.

If you are not going to have PVP, just talk. I confess that I will not buy the game, as I am no longer interested in games without a PVP system, but it is a personal option, it does not mean that the game will be better or worse.

2 Likes

You simply let people enter the game.
Done.
Where’s the problem exactly?

Agreed. In addition to what you said the PvP balancing must not affect PvE balancing in any way or form. Diablo series is first and foremost PvE franchise.

If a functional PvP which remains optional and separated from the rest of the game can be added to D4, that’s great.

6 Likes

Pvp has already been confirmed for Diablo 4; so telling people to stop asking for pvp or making pvp requests is a bit of a misplaced of energy. Now if you were to ask that pvp be made to have absolutely zero impact on the pve scene of the game and for hostile to never make a return; then as a Diablo 2 pvp/pve player, I would wholeheartedly agree with your request.

But asking people to not talk or request a feature is rather pointless, because it’s not going to happen so long as there are people who want said features.

6 Likes

But D4 won’t have ranged… so it’s “easier” for them to balance it around the various melee abilities.

Are you sure about that?

Hunter

If you watch the game footage, you can see a Barbarian (melee) vs a Sorceress (range) in PvP.
The Sorceress hits the Barb with some ice bolts they have no effect on him, he one shots her.

1 Like

Is anyone playing brawling atm in D3? Open world PvP in D4 won’t be any different than that. Why invest programming time in it then?

3 Likes

Brawling was placed in Diablo 3 as an afterthought with little to no adjustment made after implementation. With the amount of damage players can utilized, just about every single match will end with one shot.

3 Likes

There were times when this wasn’t the case and it wasn’t played too.

I am not saying don’t do PvP. I am saying PvP should have it’s own mode/rules to become attractive to a larger player base.

Even when it was first implemented pre-RoS, it was rare to find bouts that didn’t end in single hit (or at least rare for me). Also I know some folks wanted to wait for Blizzard to polish it before jumping in(which at the time, they did claim to plan on doing); however such time never came; and by the time RoS was announced and people (including myself) saw that Blizzard made no additional remarks regarding pvp, most just gave up on pvp in Diablo 3.

Because its concept was way flawed back then and is even more now. I played it at start with max rolled chars and it wasn’t hit or miss scenario, but was the same D2-like PvP experience. I played PoE PvP too. All these 3 are outdated and are of no interest to me. If they want PvP to have a success in D4 they have to improve things a lot. It’s not the year 2000 anymore.

1 Like

Meh. Best PvP game I have played is Rocket League. I guess it technically has shooting, but not that kind :smiley:

Though I agree. PvP in a A-RPG is unlikely to ever be good.

It seems fine that Blizzard want to add some very basic PvP to the game. But it shouldnt spend a whole lot of resources on it. Make it simple.

And this.

PvP should be kinda like in Dark Souls (except it should be completely optional!). It is a random mess, unbalanced as hell. But those who like it, have played it for years and years. The reward is destroying another player (and some useless XP, that they cant use because then they outlvl their opponents, and wont be able to meet them anymore)
(speaking of which, that is another popular PvP game without shooting :D)

wow…… just wow………… not even worth reading past this.

4 Likes

The concept isn’t flaw, at least not by as much as you claim, otherwise, you wouldn’t be seeing people pvp in Diablo 2 today. For Diablo 3’s brawl however, it was the implementation that was flawed, followed by a lack of refinement that caused brawl to fall into obscurity.

4 Likes