Stop Asking For Personal Loot

Also for the 8x the loot requirement if everyone had ploot, you wouln’t necessarily need that. Just a round robin type method for each loot drop at the current Players setting.
Say Players A-D have ploot on and players E-H are all under shared loot.
The loot would just go round robin style at the current P8 setting, First goes to A, Next to B, C then D, then next 4 are dropped shared loot style for players E-H only before A would see the next drop. Order can be modified to go A then Shared for E-H, then B then Shared E-H again, etc.
For bosses can do 1 of 2 methods, either 1 item only if set to Ploot with the shared loot being rolled at the current number of players NOT in ploot status. (I.e A-D would each only get 1 item and E-H would see the drops as if the boss died in players4.
OR
Continue round robin method and theres a chance someone in ploot wont see a drop as it wasn’t their turn.

Theres methods/limits and such that can all be set for ploot options to both make it fair for some while keeping it semi-close to original method. Just a matter of coding it in.

3 Likes

There have been multiple ploot threads and while they didn’t want 8 drops per person in an 8 player session, they have suggested that drops be divided up among the players who did any source of damage to the target.

While this may not be the exact solution presented by the latest few posts regarding this topic, most ploot threads inevitably end on dividing up loot because to do otherwise would be to mess with the actual drop rates.

1 Like

Sounds way too complicated. If they do implement it (and I don’t think they will), it will more likely be an option at game creation. Everyone in the same game has the same rules, either all FFA or all personal loot.

2 Likes

Above is an option as well, you can search for games of a specific loot type thus if you want ploot games you can join those and same for vice versa if you wanted shared loot games and only wanted to see and join those. Those that dont care either way can join either.

1 Like

I’m not super interested in detailing all the ways D2R would be fundamentally changed with ploot because I’m extremely confident they are not implementing such a system.

It’s more interesting to see how people justify altering an “archaic” and “dated” system with what they perceive to be an improvement.

For me it’s akin to witnessing a sort of linearly bestowed chronological superiority. Some things are functionally superior over time given enough research and development, and other less rigid things like gameplay are suited towards the individuals own preference.

I like reading how some justify ploot’s superiority based on their preference towards it’s design, while others denounce shared loot based on supersedence to ploots more casual friendly approach.

1 Like

Personally for me, shared loot is what turned me away from MP diablo 2 and really MP was only there for XP farming and not looting since I would never see any loot (I Never got any good item in a MP loot farming run ever even though I briefly saw a TON of uniques drop). If i wanted item hunting, i would always just play solo.
(correction) MP pickup group play. in friend groups i knew id at least get a share since we’d split up the drops.

4 Likes

While I can attest to the annoyance of loot barely if ever hitting the ground, I’m more annoyed that scripts were allowed that made it near impossible to manually interact with what I would consider a core aspect of the game. Killing the monster and getting relevant loot.

Lol are people still crying about personal loot?

How about they get good at video games and won’t have to be carried for items?

Anyone advocating for personal loot is bad at video games. period. If they were good they’d farm items solo and wouldn’t need to be carried for “participation loot”.

Diablo 2 won’t give anyone loot hand outs. If You want that loot then you have to earn it. Through either skill or scam. That’s the Diablo 2 way.

Perhaps this game is not for you if you feel like you should get an item just for showing up.

1 Like

If you don’t like Shared Loot / FFA.
Play another game, there is plenty of more games out there.

Diablo II is not a Personal Loot game, It’s all FFA. Don’t like it, bad for you. Maybe this game is not for you.

I suggest you wait for Diablo IV.

5 Likes

The simple fact is that the majority of aRPGs have gone to instanced/personal loot due to the inherent problems with global loot. Is instanced loot perfect? Of course not. Modern game designers from multiple companies have considered the pros and cons of global versus instanced loot and decided to go with instanced loot.

D2 has global loot due to instanced loot not being invented yet. It was not a D2 design decision that the original developers wanted global loot and not instanced loot. You can read about the history of D2 to see the accuracy of this.

Moreover, David Brevik has repeatedly stated that with clarity of hindsight he would have changed 3 things about D2:

1. Auto-gold pickup
  2. Removing the stamina bar
  3. Instance/personal loot instead of FFA loot

This does not mean that he wants these changed in D2R. He did say giving an option for personal loot in D2R could be introduced. We know that the D2R developers are giving an option to toggle auto gold pickup. Blizzard has asked in one of their survey about introducing personal loot.

This is inaccurate and an over generalization. I prefer instanced loot. When I played D2 avidly, public games too frequently were “suboptimal” and many played solo where I earned all my gear due to my own effort. When I joined public games, I often carried the entire group. It still does not change the fact that optional personal loot where you can choose to play in that type of game or in a FFA game is a win-win for all.

I do not tell softcore D2 players that there are bad at games since they do not play hardcore where death is permanent. It is a choice. To each their own.

Not exactly. On the forums, a constant argument is that if players want personal loot games just play solo in D2/D2R.

2 Likes

Can basically go the same route as you if i wanted to. Those that liked FFA loot were the ones who used pickit and thereby bad at video games and love being a bully (or are one). Its like stealing the lunch money from everyone (of which you could of been the one that did absolutely nothing yet get all the spoils).
See I can do it too.

Theres pros and cons to EACH method.

2 Likes

Lol at referencing a hack to a 20year old game that will likely not work on modern bnet at launch.

At launch, you may be right. Shortly thereafter, who knows?

Just ask yourself this: How long did it take for people to hack the alpha?

1 Like

The game that was single player only?

Nice argument lmao.

2 Likes

To be fair, the alpha was single player only and modders being modders are very proficient in picking and pulling stuff apart.

But, yes I do agree. Only time will tell if hacking will be possible. Likelihood is very low since we’ll be using current Battle.net’s security infrastructure, and they’re not using the original game platform, but anything is possible.

We know that D3 and WoW as well as other Blizzard games on modern battlenet are characterized by a certain percent of cheaters. Why do you think D2R will be different?

In D3, there is restricted in party trade and yet there are still cheats. D2R will have free trade and all that entails.

2 Likes

Chances are very high, considering wow has quite proficient botting and its on supposed higher security infrastructure. Your getting yourself too hyped for a change that likely won’t effect most hacking/botting programs that simply replicate keyboard strokes and mouse clicks. They would likely have to use some sort of system invasive anti-cheat software to accomplish this, while I’m sure it will mess up some old hacking programs, do not under estimate the cheat market especially since people pay for these things.

I do think blizz would be foolish not to put in optional instanced loot, that you pick when you start a multiplayer game. I would also put tags and filters so people who like FFA loot can find all the games they want.

2 Likes

Oh I’m more so referring to actual hacks. Not input reliant programs. Anyone and their mother can run a bot or keystroke replication utility. Hacking the game or creating dupes is another story entirely.

This has gotta be one of the dumbest responses I’ve seen…

First: faster CPU or GPU have absolutely nothing to do with how fast somebody gets loot unless your PC is a 20 year old potato that can’t even run the game. This is really really not a hard game to run on a PC.

Second: If you want to play with people through battle.net you will have to connect to battle.net servers. Generally you will have to have lower than 170-200ms in ping/latency to even connect to some games. I am sure the threshold for battle.net is lower and they allow bad connections but if you have such a bad internet connection that you are noticing even a third of a second of delay (333ms) than why are you even in a multiplayer game? And if your ping is the usual 60-100 than why are you complaining?

Third: If you hate teamwork, working for loot, high risk and high reward gaming, challenging and engaging gameplay, grinding for perfection… Then why even play Diablo 2? Why don’t you go back to Diablo 3 that you love so much? You won’t have to share, you won’t have to do anything, you can just let others kill for you and open puzzle ring portals and have endless amounts of gold and customization. Trust me, I’ve done it.

1 Like

Well today I learned that in my opinion, Blizzard is willing to make game changing changes to this game. That is a good sign that they are heading in the right direction.

2 Likes