Still no definitive word on mods for D2R

Personally, I prefer mod free D2R.
I prefer playing on bnet.
I don’t and don’t want to play on custom servers.

I’d still play if my characters would not be deleted after 90 days inactivity…

So, yes I am happy with D2R being on modern bnet. And with the modern graphics.

Too bad the tcp/ip feature won’t be available. I do wonder about which security risks led to its removal.

After open beta, I might pre order it.
Given recent fails, I am reluctant about pre ordering Blizzard games whereas in the past it would have been an instant buy…

1 Like

With the loss of TCP/IP is the loss of playing mods in multiplayer. This still will not prevent players from making mods for SP and putting them online. That is if I understand what the TCP/IP means.

If I knew how to program enough to make mods for games. Then nothing would stop me from making a mod for D2R for SP only. Then putting it on a website that is not for multiplayer, just a site that would allow other mods to exist for D2R to be downloaded for personal use only, no multiplayer version at all.

It is not saying that Blizz will prevent players from making mods and sharing them for personal use only in SP.

Now if someone can prove to me that TCP/IP has to be there in order to create a mod for D2 then fine do so now. Or like a Judge in a court case this case will be closed and my conclusion of players that could make a mods for a game like D2R could still do so and have them for personal use in SP mode only. With the most still being able to share those mods with others through a website for download.

I have only played D2 online with others very briefly due to the lag that I was experiencing with D2. It was so bad that it was unplayable for me. Even with the best internet connection that I had at the time. Even a good computer that could easily run the game still had the same lag. Where the monster wouldn’t react to the blow that landed until my character was almost ready or ready to hit again.

Where the monster wouldn’t react to the blow that landed until my character was almost ready or ready to hit again.

standard feature even today, and it seems to be restricted to only diablo 2 and diablo 2 remastered. online play is fundamentally broken because of it. strangely enough, diablo 3 does not have the issue, and any latency is treated as serious business.

Diablo 3 didn’t have severe lag, rubberbanding etc? :exploding_head:

Which is the issue. Removing LAN seemingly makes it harder (although maybe not impossible) to make multiplayer mods.
It sends a very bad signal from Blizzard.

Since D2R can be played offline I will stay offline. Only going online for any updates to D2R.

That is true for mulitplayer mods not SP mods. Look even Median XL is not only a Multiplayer mod but it has been played as a SP mod by me and no doubt countless others.

1 Like

Yes that is literally what I wrote.

Diablo 3 didn’t have severe lag, rubberbanding etc?

the only times it did, if when you know the game is starting to get unplayable. because it very rarely happens.

Diablo 3 suffered from severe and ever-present rubberbanding for years. Worse than I have experienced in any other game tbh.
All online games might suffer from lag on the other hand. Only offline mode can help there.

I think you mean D2. D2 is notorious for the rubber banding .

I’ve not played a lot of games online, 6 at most, so I don’t have much to compare. However, I found D2’s lag/rubber banding/desync has much to do with internet connection, latency specifically. There was a period between 2010 and 2016 where I used wifi and phone data to play, and it was messy, but when I switched up to high speed home internet the problems went away. I know Australia has the worst internet in the industrialized world, plus they have to connect to US or Asian servers, which leads to a lot of choppy experiences. That said the first half of the first ladder in 2018 is all on Blizzard. What a mess that was!

Never noticed a lot of rubberbanding in D2, which is not to say it isnt there (internet was a lot worse back then after all). D3 is just a much faster game, so even if the two were equally prone to rubberbanding, D3 would suffer more from it. And it sure did. Even at low latency. Got much better later on, but at release and a long time after it was quite broken with some skills.

I had no idea D3 suffered from it. I just remember the constant influx of complaints on the previous D2 forums.

When D2 first released lag and rubberbanding was bad but it can be easily tied to the low bandwidth of connections. To think of it, when D2 first released animations weren’t as smooth as now anyway.

I didn’t see much feedback from Rubberbanding in D3. At least, not recently. I can’t remember game launch.

I’m hearing a lot of feedback about rubber banding still going on in D2R. D3’s achilles heal was frame lag, but I think that was from it’s game engine rather than a server comm. thing.

It was horrible at times and hit registration was a mess. At times you’d find yourself flung back to the point you were before 3-5 seconds ago or just has stutters for a good ten seconds, unable to leave the spot. If your character were in combat at that time, you would still endure the hit or elite ability coming your way just to die off. Game not supposed to promote glass cannon builds but when you can not even evade anything, nor given any clue and low on resources, that was the most prevalent way to clear content.

When you’re in Act 1 Halls of Agony floors, your character may seemingly phase through walls upon small lag spikes at random and a small stutter to come back to its original position like everything is normal. Later you to realize, just 3 seconds ago your character died already to a flame trap that is placed out of bounds instantly and no certain collision supposed to be performed.
Your character can not even step there willingly when everything is normal, but rubberbanding ignores the block volumes put by developers, collision check of engine and just toss you there for a fraction of a second to position check then kill your character in that instant. It was that bad.

You remember those Spear Khazras being a headache in high GRs in RoS? Spear Khazras were worse in classic D3 at release, alongside with Sand Wasps. You couldn’t juke or evade their shots and they always hit you for massive damage.
Even if you manage to get away from the “apparent” collision zone and move 20 yards away from the thrown projectile, it’d still hit you like monsters are throwing rocks as large as your screen or an instant hitscan. Either engine was making mistakes due something was off, because it took them several patches to nail the problem down to patch it, or hammering down on server traffic took its toll. I can never tell.

There were rumors about how disproportioned textures were making hit boxes bigger or how some attacks ignoring resistance values. That’s not important now. Only mobility skills were capable of dodging anything properly because position check can not be really trusted. Sadly, such skills were severely limited with cooldowns and duration allowing you to dodge once to get hit on the second attempt. Game was expecting you to take cover or a play highly sustainable glasscannon build until you gear up slowly. I remember those times.

1 Like

Well first even if you knew how to mod they could stop you by doing what they already did. They made all the files so you can’t see what’s in them. Modding isnt hard, go download say Starbound, you open up the file in a text editor and just read the files it’s in English. Then you just figure out what they mean, and re write it how you want. So let’s use Starbound again I can stop you from joining my server with mods I don’t want, by telling the game to look at the files and see if they are the same as the server files. You can’t get around that unless you hacked into blizzards server.

O god I remember those days, that sucked. I use to have to deal with that on my satlite modem and dial up, it sucked.

To be honest I still get it at times in D3.
That’s why I wanted off-line mode so bad.
D2 ran great for me, but I played mostly single player off-line.
D2R with no mods possibly to play, has put a sour taste
in my mouth.
If they take any more stuff away from original fans, there will be
refunds left and right.

Is that like the starcraft mod that turns it into diablo? how am I still playing starcraft with that mod?

And as far as I’m concerned D2 is dead with or without mods and D3 will be dead probably before D4 arrives
D1 is more alive than D2 as far as I’m concerned, even if I am the only person that still plays D1 now days

And we are sorry that you have no conception that modded D2 you are no longer really playing D2, D2 lasted so long because it got butchered into not D2
Lets mod D2 so that you start on max level take no damage and oneshot everything and only the best gear or dial your own gear drops

But if D2 is so great and alive there is no excuse it’s still D2 but if the only way you can play is to cheat then you aren’t really playing and D2 isn’t really alive as you think

Well it’s not like you aren’t being well informed and realistically D2R will lose over half of it’s D2 player base and show how truly alive the D2 community is they have already lost you how many more people are going to leave D2 and all because you can’t butcher the game to death and make it real easy for yourself to play

You guys think it will support mods?