Still no definitive word on mods for D2R

Them telling people to go to third party platforms owned by other companies is laughable imo. No thanks.

I am pretty sure you are the only person in the world who believes that excuse. And I think I know why. :thinking:

2 Likes

All I’ve seen on reddit is the community manager wit a rare post. And frankly this forum is more lively than the Diablo subreddit.

anyway, considering it won’t launch with a ladder, there is no reason to rush to preorder it anyway.

I don’t think it’s unfair to ask for more information considering it launches in a month.

Modders should focus on the console versions instead since it doesn’t require Battlenet login. Would be beautiful if the Switch version killed the PC version. Haha

Thought you only needed a one time login for the off line version? If that is the case there will be mods regardless of official support.

take a look at the game files. theres no way one can modify that. its still a beta and subject to change, but its just a bunch of data files and an index set of files.

You guys probably know the details better than me, I just read this thread: What the mod scene may look like in D2R (not looking good)

1 Like

Yes, but some things might have been made more difficult, due to removal of tcp/up and other changes behind the scene.

Isn’t D2 the same in that regard?

No. the MPQs are clearly labeled, and can be broken into with ease with any MPQ editor. the data files in diablo 3 and D2R are not labeled, they seem to be split into chunks of the same exact size, and theres a bunch of index files.

i got as far as this:

That leaves single player, and frankly not many people would be interested in a single player mod.

that is the single most ignorant and retarded thing i have ever said. this from the developer of the medion mod, which, as far as i know, has a far, far, greater presence offline.

jesus christ, i need a cup of tea to deal with the sheer ignorance.

While offline mods are great, it would be pretty bad if multiplayer mods (not closed battlenet mods of course!) were no longer possible. I see a lot of refund demands in Blizzards future if they dont get their act together.

2 Likes

Personally, I prefer mod free D2R.
I prefer playing on bnet.
I don’t and don’t want to play on custom servers.

I’d still play if my characters would not be deleted after 90 days inactivity…

So, yes I am happy with D2R being on modern bnet. And with the modern graphics.

Too bad the tcp/ip feature won’t be available. I do wonder about which security risks led to its removal.

After open beta, I might pre order it.
Given recent fails, I am reluctant about pre ordering Blizzard games whereas in the past it would have been an instant buy…

1 Like

With the loss of TCP/IP is the loss of playing mods in multiplayer. This still will not prevent players from making mods for SP and putting them online. That is if I understand what the TCP/IP means.

If I knew how to program enough to make mods for games. Then nothing would stop me from making a mod for D2R for SP only. Then putting it on a website that is not for multiplayer, just a site that would allow other mods to exist for D2R to be downloaded for personal use only, no multiplayer version at all.

It is not saying that Blizz will prevent players from making mods and sharing them for personal use only in SP.

Now if someone can prove to me that TCP/IP has to be there in order to create a mod for D2 then fine do so now. Or like a Judge in a court case this case will be closed and my conclusion of players that could make a mods for a game like D2R could still do so and have them for personal use in SP mode only. With the most still being able to share those mods with others through a website for download.

I have only played D2 online with others very briefly due to the lag that I was experiencing with D2. It was so bad that it was unplayable for me. Even with the best internet connection that I had at the time. Even a good computer that could easily run the game still had the same lag. Where the monster wouldn’t react to the blow that landed until my character was almost ready or ready to hit again.

Where the monster wouldn’t react to the blow that landed until my character was almost ready or ready to hit again.

standard feature even today, and it seems to be restricted to only diablo 2 and diablo 2 remastered. online play is fundamentally broken because of it. strangely enough, diablo 3 does not have the issue, and any latency is treated as serious business.

Diablo 3 didn’t have severe lag, rubberbanding etc? :exploding_head:

Which is the issue. Removing LAN seemingly makes it harder (although maybe not impossible) to make multiplayer mods.
It sends a very bad signal from Blizzard.

Since D2R can be played offline I will stay offline. Only going online for any updates to D2R.

That is true for mulitplayer mods not SP mods. Look even Median XL is not only a Multiplayer mod but it has been played as a SP mod by me and no doubt countless others.

1 Like

Yes that is literally what I wrote.

Diablo 3 didn’t have severe lag, rubberbanding etc?

the only times it did, if when you know the game is starting to get unplayable. because it very rarely happens.

Diablo 3 suffered from severe and ever-present rubberbanding for years. Worse than I have experienced in any other game tbh.
All online games might suffer from lag on the other hand. Only offline mode can help there.

I think you mean D2. D2 is notorious for the rubber banding .